Felony Posession in RI?

PatrizioD

Ok, so Ive been hit a few times with posession charges. First time was back in 2005 when they found a rather large (>1oz) bag on the passenger in my car. He admitted it was his, but I still got charged. I was under the impression that the first offense for MJ was a misdemeanor, which in RI gets you a fine and year probation, then it gets wiped completely from your record.

The second time (2007) went through the system exactly as the first time. Paid my fine, did my community service, had it wiped.
The third time was slightly different. In late 2008 (after my probation from 2007 was over) I was pulled over and hey found a .2 on me. The douchebag cop decides to charge me for it, and says that because of my record I could end up in prison. Turned out he was wrong, and I was released that night. This made me think a bit, so I checked my court records online.

They have my first posession charge listed as a felony! The court docs say the exact same thing as the misdemeanor ones, except its listed as a felony. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Im confused as hell, and I dont want this to stop me from getting a Concealed Carry Permit eventually.

Ok, so Ive been hit a few times with posession charges. First time was back in 2005 when they found a rather large (>1oz) bag on the passenger in my car. He admitted it was his, but I still got charged. I was under the impression that the first offense for MJ was a misdemeanor, which in RI gets you a fine and year probation, then it gets wiped completely from your record.

The second time (2007) went through the system exactly as the first time. Paid my fine, did my community service, had it wiped.
The third time was slightly different. In late 2008 (after my probation from 2007 was over) I was pulled over and they found a .2 on me. The douchebag cop decides to charge me for it, and says that because of my record I could end up in prison. Turned out he was wrong, and I was released that night. This made me think a bit, so I checked my court records online.

They have my first posession charge listed as a felony! The court docs say the exact same thing as the misdemeanor ones, except its listed as a felony. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Im confused as hell, and I dont want this to stop me from getting a Concealed Carry Permit eventually.

Soo this is your 3rd offense for having MJ on you right? 3rd strike is a felony even if the last ones were esponged from your record. Atleast that's what I would think is going on?
I been on probation since 2001 for a felony possesion intent to sell with commercial distrubution and a couple other charges that are not MJ related, I don't get off until 2010. My record will never be esponged. just curious but why would you need to carry a gun in rhode island? Lol

I think every American, whether the need exists or not, should have the option to carry. (With the exception of violent criminals/mentally unfit)
I have had no actual felony convictions for posession in RI. The judge said that after a year goes by and I dont get in trouble, my record is wiped and I start clean. This past offense (a year and 3 days ago) was the third time, but wasnt recorded as a felony because they didnt have cause to label it as such. Im just confused. Ill take what I can get; hopefully I can get a medical card soon to deal with the chronic pain of having been run over by an SUV.

Ya I guess you are right there are a lot of crazy people running around these days.
Goodluck on getting a card a couple of people I know in RI have already gone through the process and have obtained the card, one of my better friends has MS and
RLS, He went to this doctor in cranston
not sure of his name right now but I can find out for you if you want.
Best of luck bro.

--Mr.401 :peace:

Back
Top Bottom