Feminized Seeds vs Clones

TheFertilizer

What are the disadvantages of using feminized seeds versus buying clones? I'm not going to be running a perpetual harvest and have no cloning room so I'd have to buy them. It seems thst just getting feminized seeds would be cheaper and mor e convenient but I haven't heard of feminized seeds until now and they seem too good to be true.

The only issue with clones are bugs and variety. If you buy a clone, you are buying known genetics (if your legal supplier is worth anything) and they should have been chosen based on lab results and desirable traits. Bugs are really the biggest issue as you are introducing something foreign to your space. You are at the mercy of the supplier for variety (unlike seeds).

Basically, if you buy a clone commercially, they've done all the dirty work sexing, sorting, growing, testing, etc.. (Or at least they should have). Just watch for bugs!

I'm looking more for the issues with feminized seeds. I would have to buy them for 15 each and you've already pointed out all the obvious pitfalls involved and for all those reasons planting seeds seems more convenient. Not to mention I can plant when I'm ready and not have to wait for clones to be available.

I just thought wonder about the feminized bit. From what I understand they use to use hermaphrodites to make them so you'd have a shot and a plant going herm I'd you stressed it. But now apparently they do something to make a genetic female produce male pistils so they make seeds that are always genetic females and don't have a tendency to go herm.

Well where is the catch? Are some seed and less reputable than others and selling herm seeds and feminized?

There is a difference between a hermaphrodite and a female plant forced to produce male flowers. That being said, I get what your trying to say and agree there may be some concern. That being said, most breeders are pretty good at what they do. Stick with the main ones and you'll be fine. Remember, even clones (non feminized seed females) can turn on you if stressed enough. The purists will grow out plants from regular seeds and search for desired phenotypes. The guy with 1-2 plants growing for his wife/hobby won't have issues growing out fem seeds.

There is a difference between a hermaphrodite and a female plant forced to produce male flowers. That being said, I get what your trying to say and agree there may be some concern. That being said, most breeders are pretty good at what they do. Stick with the main ones and you'll be fine. Remember, even clones (non feminized seed females) can turn on you if stressed enough. The purists will grow out plants from regular seeds and search for desired phenotypes. The guy with 1-2 plants growing for his wife/hobby won't have issues growing out fem seeds.

Well.. Cool beans. Literally. My biggest reason for buying clones was simply ensuring sex. I don't care about breeding or pheno hunting, I just want a few ounces of dank every couple months. I had been hesitant to spend so much on seeds and have only a few germinate and then worse only a few females.

Another reason I'm glad to learn about these is I kind of want to pick strains. Clones tend to be more like, just what's available. I'm looking for some Jack Herer, and the price of the seeds was too much for the idea of some turning male. This makes it seem a lot more ideal to just grow from seed. I've only grown from clones before though so I hope the learning curve switching to seeds isn't bad.

I've been burned with clones from dispensaries too. Got a Cinex clone rooted in coco from one, only ten bucks, but it was mite infested and so root bound when I transplanted barely a crumb of dirt fell off the rootball. It took so long to even start to grow again I was already flowering the ones I got from a friend.

So yeah this leaves me excited. Also thanks, I am going to try Super Bud and Super Skunk too. I've grown Super Skunk and it's an awesome strain.

clones are always better indoors , due to consistency , and maturity. you can flip when required e.g zero veg in sea of green.

fem seed comes into its own outdoors as they have the ability to veg and settle after transplant in photoperiods below 12 hours of light unlike clones because they remain too inmature to flower and by the time they are mature enough to flower the photoperiod is well above 12 hours of day light.

Thus you can grow bigger plants out doors with seeds.

clones get fucked up if planted early in spring as they start to bud... day light hours increase in summer then have to re veg the incomplete buds before again trying to bud.... in autumn in many parts of the world.

I guest fem seeds are a easy, convenient stealth way of exporting genetics.

Fem seeds are ok I never had any trouble and run 80% fem seeds or self made clones from fems.

I only choose strains/breeders that I have seen grown in a journal or tube ect. and check with SeedFinder.

Back
Top Bottom