Fighting with low humidity, fan seems to be too strong

Mine does and is on the lowest. I'd consider returning it for one that could go slower but it came with the carbon filter and would have to return both.
May not be enough time but since venting into the room (few hours now) steady at 79F and 36%. Have another digital meter near the top of the tent reading 50%

:thumb: :nomo: Makes sense if that’s where the fans intake is drawing from ? Draw from the bottom
And exit thru the top. A rule I grow By lmo u just have to find your balance the carbon filter should slow down the fan over time as it fills up!

:thumb: :nomo: Makes sense if that’s where the fans intake is drawing from ? Draw from the bottom
And exit thru the top. A rule I grow By lmo u just have to find your balance the carbon filter should slow down the fan over time as it fills up!
True, not using it at moment and its brand new.

For the fifth (5) time now. He has a variable speed fan. Lmao. Feel like I'm getting trolled here
You can put a speed controller on a speed controlled fan. I have a fan in my living room, Just for giggles I turned it on high with one of these. Yield Lab In-Wall Fan Speed Controller w/ 120v AC/DC 15aH Universal Compatibility for Duct Fans, Hydroponic Pumps, and Indoor Gardening Equipment I then tried different speeds on the actual fan. (3 speeds) as well as the speed control and it works to slow it down to near zero. I only have one but see no reason why you could not piggy back two of them on a speed controlled fan. You could also look into one of these. I kinda like that idea. LTL Day and Night Fan Speed Controller | GrowAce I might even get one just to have it blow slower at night and on high during lights on to extract heat faster. On edit, The fan will stop when the speed controller is turned to the slowest speed setting.

You can put a speed controller on a speed controlled fan. I have a fan in my living room, Just for giggles I turned it on high with one of these. Yield Lab In-Wall Fan Speed Controller w/ 120v AC/DC 15aH Universal Compatibility for Duct Fans, Hydroponic Pumps, and Indoor Gardening Equipment I then tried different speeds on the actual fan. (3 speeds) as well as the speed control and it works to slow it down to near zero. I only have one but see no reason why you could not piggy back two of them on a speed controlled fan. You could also look into one of these. I kinda like that idea. LTL Day and Night Fan Speed Controller | GrowAce I might even get one just to have it blow slower at night and on high during lights on to extract heat faster.
Hmm sounds interesting. I wonder though what negative affects that has on the motor?

I don't know but it wouldn't be digital like with LEDS, It would be a variable potentiometer. They have been using them for years to control speeds of motors for YEARS. I had slot cars in the 70's. Strombecker made the ones I had. Industrial motors also used speed controllers. Just sayin....
Fair enough. So I guess these fans are pwm controlled then. Iv seen people control pwm with a raspberry pi too which would be neat

Thats pulse width modulated. Would they work, Probably as it's the same principle. I know it won't work the other way around. Has to be PWM with LEDS
Yeah not sure I saw someone a reddit mention they automated their inline fan with the pi, speed variation not just on/off.

Yeah not sure I saw someone a reddit mention they automated their inline fan with the pi, speed variation not just on/off.
If you ever took apart a control handle for slot cars you'd see a copper wire wound like a spring. A trigger in the handle would slide a piece of metal up and down the springs side and as it moves gets more or less voltage. Based on electrical resistance I think. You are either giving the motor zero to a little juice or a lot or anywhere in between.

If you ever took apart a control handle for slot cars you'd see a copper wire wound like a spring. A trigger in the handle would slide a piece of metal up and down the springs side and as it moves gets more or less voltage. Based on electrical resistance I think. You are either giving the motor zero to a little juice or a lot or anywhere in between.
After this grow I'm going to pop it open because now I'm curious.

May not be enough time but since venting into the room (few hours now) steady at 79F and 36%. Have another digital meter near the top of the tent reading 50%

It will slowly balance out. By the end of tomorrow you should have a pretty good idea of what it's going to do.

You can put a speed controller on a speed controlled fan. I have a fan in my living room, Just for giggles I turned it on high with one of these. Yield Lab In-Wall Fan Speed Controller w/ 120v AC/DC 15aH Universal Compatibility for Duct Fans, Hydroponic Pumps, and Indoor Gardening Equipment I then tried different speeds on the actual fan. (3 speeds) as well as the speed control and it works to slow it down to near zero. I only have one but see no reason why you could not piggy back two of them on a speed controlled fan. You could also look into one of these. I kinda like that idea. LTL Day and Night Fan Speed Controller | GrowAce I might even get one just to have it blow slower at night and on high during lights on to extract heat faster. On edit, The fan will stop when the speed controller is turned to the slowest speed setting.

Not every speed controlled fan though. Some fans (AC infinity) run on DC voltage and use a pwm signal to adjust speeds. That would not work for those.
Hyperfans use ECM motors and pwm.

Most of the lesser expensive fans out there can be safely run on a variac, but those cost about as much as the fan did. Haha.

That's pretty cool that you basically get a gear reducer by using the second dimmer. Usually the problem with dimming fans too low is that they won't start-up on that speed. Is that on a ceiling fan?

It will slowly balance out. By the end of tomorrow you should have a pretty good idea of what it's going to do.
Light on - 79-80F 39% Light off - 68F 42% Light is sitting at 28ft. Not sure im going to get better than that. Cant imagine what im going to be dealing with when I switch to the hps bulb in flowering.

This is a pretty long thread, and I don’t know if anyone mentioned this simple solution- my first grow room had same problem, very low humidity. I tried the humidifier thing and it had very little effect, tried the bucket towel thing, and tried recirculating my air back into room. Nothing helped, until I tried misting the walls down with h2o periodically thru the day and the plants at bedtime. I could get it temporarily up to around 50%. (This only during veg and early flower, then you will love your low humidity for late flower) Mould shouldn’t be an issue with a light misting and 30% rh. Just don’t mist when light is on, the droplets of water can act as little magnifying glasses and burn the leaves, although not severely. Regardless, I have not seen a serious problem with low humidity in any stages of the plants except for the seedling stage. They are weeds, and they grow in really poor conditions in nature. Don’t stress about low humidity, but absolutely stress about high humidity! You don’t want bud rot...I fought it this past summer in my aquaponics greenhouse. Temps soaring over 35 degrees C at times and humidity during flower hitting 80-96% (30 plants ended up yielding only 4 pounds of bud, but on the upside it was truly killer shit and passed the peer review with two big thumbs up) Nothing like throwing ounces/pounds of weed out after all the expense of growing it. On the up side, it all could still be salvaged into oil, thank god
Good luck with the tent!

Hello,

I am in Canada as well and I keep my nursery in the bastement.

The ambiant temp is 65 and RH is about 38.

At this stage, you dont really need your air exchanger on all the time. I would put it on a timer, to run for 5 mins every 2 hours or so.

If you must have it on to deal with your light temp, then your humidity will continue to be a problem until your ambiant humidity raises higher.

What if you try directing your humidifier to outside of your tent right near the air intake?

I love this science part of the growing equation. There are many solutions. But finding the most stable one is usually prefered.

I just bought the ideal Air commercial humidifier and it is the absolute BOMB.
It requires a controller or else its always on and it will put your tent to 99% humidity in no time without a controller.

Does your exhaust go outside or stay in the house?

I recommend a large 9 gallon quiet air humidifier that takes replacement filter HC-14.
If it doesn’t work inside the tent you can use it outside the tent to bring up the humidity of the entire house.

Back
Top Bottom