First grow, chalky bud top: Mold?

Bigguard

420 Member
Hello all. First time grower, single plant, 300W LED, unsure of strain.
I’ve read a ton about mold and preventing it. Plant has been in flower for 7 weeks, everything seems great, but noticed this super white bud top yesterday. Whiter than all of the others.
Is this mold? Something else abnormal? Appreciate any help.

+ pictures. You can see one of the leaves is chalky white as well in the first picture. If mold, what can I do to not lose the entire plant? Thanks again

F2A8351A-9393-4A87-ADBC-45DDE16A0450.jpeg

2C0A769E-DA1B-4F90-9CAC-7E16C2FBE6A2.jpeg

7FA7C9C9-45CE-4F2E-9441-8970BB23F996.jpeg

43E505B7-1845-44EB-817C-A780D27FEF5A.jpeg

17166264-E7DF-45F4-8D15-D28CA06738DF.jpeg

Lovely looking plants. :) Welcome to 420. Mildew? Those spots sure are super white, aren't they?
Couple thoughts. Bleaching...it is on a tip. Variegation...some plants display marbled white (lack of chlorophyll) due to their genetics. These are 2 possibilities without thinking of mildew. Neither of these options rub off. At risk of spreading spores, have you tried wiping it with your finger to see if any "white" comes off? If it does...well...its mildew.

Huge relief, made my morning. Lights come on in 5 minutes, I’ll rig up a way to raise the lights and try to see if some of it rubs off. I’ve never tried. Hoping it’s bleaching, adding a pic of where the lights normally are.

any negatives from the bleaching in terms of growth / yield?

19C09C18-88D4-449F-8EF4-1D1B38043ED8.jpeg

Well...i have a strain that does the whole variegation thing...as she grows she occasionally throws out some marbled white plant tissue. What i have noticed is that when it does appear, due to lack of chlorophyll, the growth drops or slows down or just overall is diminished compared to other parts of the plant that are green. It's not necessarily a great thing. Not necessarily a bad thing either. Well...you decide. It looks neat.

Rather than stressing your eyes and squinting...you can wait until at least 50% of your pistils/stigmas are orange/brown and curling back. At that point i have found my buds to be about 75% milky with some clear. That's where i like 'em. At that point my hybrids and sativas get my head spinning with a sense of urgency. Most smokers dont appreciate that. Who smokes to do chores? Hahahaha. I do...ALL the time. Most people smoke cannabis to relax and feel good. If you are after that "relaxing" smoke, i would wait until at least all trichs are cloudy. That could be when most or all of the pistils are curled back.

Looking back at your pics and reading you are 7 weeks? ...I would at least another week or 2 for the racey high, wait another 3 weeks for couch locky effects.

@Patient Puffer @Stoned ape
Hey guys, thanks again for the help earlier. Towards the end and could really use some help on when to cut her down. Started flowering 11/12, so around 10 weeks now but remember I don’t know the strain or expected flower time. Have been flushing for 8 days. Some leaves are yellowing, but only at the top. Idk if that is from flushing, or natural. From what I can tell trichomes are still generally clearish. Also, seems new white pistils are appearing at top bud sites. Took some pictures in different lighting. Thoughts?

1AD24A63-181F-41CF-8058-3D8A2FE2E87F.jpeg

4EC99B0E-99B9-4FB0-943A-2CEC9CAFEAFB.jpeg

FB2C3950-A7BB-477C-8EDC-AEE429C96968.jpeg

7C6AAFA0-D389-4E7A-BE0E-A40F8966ED68.jpeg

B2BBF840-EA5E-4F34-B7A6-8476EA51A25F.jpeg

Nice buds. Job well done. I hope my little AC/DC nails it like that!

When? Personal preference as I stated above. Up lifting high? They could be ready now. Couch locky high? Maybe wait another week.

I good hand held jeweler's loupe (40-60×'s) will allow a great look at the trichomes. Some growers like to get some couch locky amber trichs (~10% amber). Some like a couple trichs clear still (me). Some like them all cloudy...depends.

I grow my herb until I see about 50% of stigmas/pistils start to curl back. I still see new stigmas at the top of your buds. You are close. That sure is a long running strain, aye? No clue of genetics? Nice dencse looking buds.

You're not supplementing CO2, correct?

Yea, no clue on the strain. Don’t even know indica or sativa, I’m guessing some sort of hybrid. Not supplementing any CO2. I have a small desk fan on the bottom at one of the exhaust vents. That’s it. Probably not the greatest of airflow.

I think I’ll give them until Wednesday then call it a wrap. Most things I’ve seen say around 8 weeks so it’s been a long journey haha. Looking forward to having the first grow under my belt!

Photo period. Seed 9/12, switched to 12 hr lights 11/12. Water flush 1/15 until now. Going to go with the cutting half

Back
Top Bottom