First mini grow, any advice?

firstgrow1121

hello all

First time poster long time lurker. Some great advice and tips given on here so hoping for some opinions.

Currently live in a flat share. All are roughly my age (23) give or take a few years. All of them toke. It's just the neighbours we are concerned about. My plan is to have a mini grow of 1-3 plants. I have previous experience in helping friends grow so have a rough idea, but never done it for myself personally or usingmy own equipment etc.

This is by no means on a large scale, this will be for personal use only and maybe a couple of ounces to friends if in need of some cash.

Was looking to buy some equipment and stumbled across this:

Best Complete Hydroponic Grow Room Tent Fan Filter Light Kit 600w 120x120x200 | eBay

Would this be ideal for what I need? Has anyone ever bought anything similar? Will it really mask the smell (that's our main concern)

Any other tips are welcomed :)

Look forward to keeping everyone updated on my progress and perhaps contribute to this amazing communty

Gday congrats on starting your amazing journey into growing your own smoke! That tent is a great starter kit although I'd rather buy all the equipment separately it may cost more but quality will be better if you shop around. But if you are considering a kit I'd recommend getting one with a air cooled hood/tube trust me it'll save you so much trouble with heat problems. Also attached to the extractor rigged up to a carbon filter your neighbours should be none of the wiser. I'd also purchase some metal heat tape (not what it's called buts it's good enough) to patch any leaks in the ducting/tent as they appear,

3 plants under a 600w will probs yeild you 10 to 21 oz if grown well so that should keep you all happy :cheer:

Nute wise looked into the bio bizz range I'm having great success with them and produces some tasty smoke.

Good luck with everything bud :thumb:

Nice looking set up! I kind of agree with the Hortus that you might do better piecing it together on your own. Sure you probably would save money buying it all made up together for you, but buying off the internet is kind of hard to see exactly what you're actually getting. I know what the sellers description stats but that of course isn't right there for you to view, so I don't know.

I'm right there with you as well about the smells. I run 2 different fans with filters so I will have zero odors! It might be a little overkill but just like the saying goes, "I've got 99 problems but odor isnt one of them", so true so true! Also, Hortus is correct about the heat, as a 600w inside that tent will get nice and HOT!

Maybe if you can piece it together and go the cfl route for veg and then a couple mid size LEDs for flower. Thats the set up I always use and it always goes just the way a I need it to as far as heat and as far as the odors with the purchase of either a bigger fan and filter system or even the two that I use. I use two fans and filters because I have one inside the tent and one outside the tent. The one inside the tent is for getting all that hot air out and moved to another area. Then the one outside of the tent is used to scrub the air for whatever odors that might escape from what the tent one is doing for me.

Having both fans might be overkill like I said, but by doing that, its one less thing to ever have to worry about. Plus for the cost of the additional fan and filter its not that much more money! You can use a 6" fan and filter for inside the tent and then a 4" for outside to scrub whats left over. Anyhow, thats the way I do it and I've never had any issues. Plus by having the extra fan, it will def help you with any heat build up issues. Good luck with it all and keep us updated on your journey!

Wow thanks for the speedy replies :)! Wow 10 oz of 2 plants or whatever sounds very good indeed!

So would you recommend leds? I have read CFL would suffice on a mini grow and they are a lot easier to hold etc. But again I'm not an EXPERT.

As for veg and flower state, I was thinking of getting some nice autoflowering strains for my first couple of grows, I've seen some journals online where they keep the cycle 12/12 from seed. Will this still produce high quality buds?

And I'm not that experienced in the drying and curing stage. Am I aware that the carbon filters will become useless when it's hanging drying and what not? I could only imagine the potent smell of 10+ ounces drying out haha.

Can you recommend any pets you have had success with and would personally recommend so I can price things up. Although Am seriously considering going for this kit.

Also can anyone recommend any strains? Planning to do one sativa and one indica.

Thanks again for the helpful and genuine replies. :)

COMPLETE HYDROPONIC 600W COOLTUBE 5" 1.2X1.2.2M GROW TENT LIGHT FAN FILTER KIT | eBay

Just found this awesome deal that includes a cool tube and a decent fan check it out bro!

Also marshydro sell great Led systems and even better prices definitely check them out to.
I would also recommend leds I've started using them myself but if money is a issue stick to a mh/hps combo works just as good. Cfl's are good for the seedling stage and first couple of weeks but personally I'd rather get a dimmable 600w ballast and start on the lowest setting and work up to full blast as the plants mature.

Not to keen on the 12/12 from seed with a regular or a auto. Best to keep autos at 18/6 for there whole life where as regular plants use that 18/6 veg period to build there structure before flipping to 12/12 for the bloom phase.

Oh brother you'll need a extractor with a carbon filter more than most when drying the harvest your right it stinks lol I've got maybe 5 oz of incredible bulk drying in a closet as I type, can't smell a thing but open the door and take a sniff it'll knock you off your socks :)

When it comes to strains it's entirely your choice I prefer indica but others will say sativa. I think if you go with some sort of og strain and you won't be disappointed. Florida og from dna is high on my favourite list atm

Your more than welcome most of the info I'm passing on is what I've gained from :420: and experience :high-five: were all happy to help a friend in need of weed

Keep it green

If you want to take the diy approach you should google "cannabis Rubbermaid grow box" i grow in one i built it's CFLs btw.

Piece it together. If you are just growing one plant at a time CFLs will suffice. Multiple plants I recommend going LED/HID. Spend the money on a good quality carbon filter Phresh/Mountain Aire make good units. Also heard Rhino is good. Autos are fine and you will get some decent yields. Might also look into Doc Bud's High Brix growing method, pretty simple to use.

Back
Top Bottom