First time Grow FAQ

Mrpoker

I want the biggest and best of 420 to add to this document to provide first time growers (the most common tittle on 420) with the most important information they need to begin their journey, in one place. Here is a post I made on the journal of one of the people that make 420 special.

Hello Mr OMM sir, I am sorry to ask through one of your journals, but I am unable to send PM, which I suppose encourages this kind of interaction. I see that you have great credentials from peers who clearly feel you should be recognized.

Aannyyywwaayyy, I am unsure of how much to divulge here, but I am in need of your knowledge and the other 'vets' of 420.

I have yet to embark on my own grow, but have had close interaction with a few over the past 10 years. As I finally am about to commit financially and I hoped you could offer your views on the very early, but hugely important, decisions.

I assure you I have done my homework, and will explain briefly, what I have decided and what I am unsure of. Input on all and from all, would be hugely appreciated, as mentioned, I have only watched, never done.

Again, if this kind of post is inappropriate I apologize, but I just want the answers from the best. Thank you.

Container - Undecided - Wardrobe Conversion / DarkStreet 90 or similar

Light - veg - 300w equivilant CFL (blue)
Flow - 250w or 400w HPS

Nutes - have read around 'high brix' and understand the theory. However, my knowledge of nutrients in general is limited.
GB grow so not sure if FF is available, probably use Cana or AN (if affordable)

Medium - Again understand the theories, and would prefer soil-less. I have seen quite a few simple set ups, Pot and pump, holes in pots with pertile (Sisco), pertile in bottom 2in and soil, Supersoil (which sounds similar to high brix imo).

With nutes and medium, I need someone much more experienced to say "First grow. Get these nutes and use this medium". I have considered hydro or aero, as I have seen the increase in production, hands down, but am hugely concerned that I will be yet another non starter with a few £££ in the bin.

Strain - I am enjoying looking at attitude but even this is overwhelming ("I really like Dr Grimspoon" - but there a very few journals with it included, wonder why lol) Have looked at critical jack, critical ww, but any suggestions on big yield, 8 week, big hitting indica. I have seen a few cycles of Great Whit Shark which seemed 'idiot proof'.

And I get that I'm going to need Mylar, thermom, timer, clips, pots, propagator, spray gun, ph etc etc but due to being unsure of what method / medium I can't exactly pin down what I need ie ECU, ppm.

I ask, in this complete hijack, can some who knows, put all the information I have read, suggest the best option and exactly what is required of me to make my dream a reality. Best place to get all this stuff, what is best to get local and what is best online.

I defo love scrog , special mention to Icemud as his net in a tent is brilliant.

If I don't get the reply's from you famous ones, I will call you out. :p

Strain - I am enjoying looking at attitude but even this is overwhelming ("I really like Dr Grimspoon" - but there a very few journals with it included, wonder why lol) Have looked at critical jack, critical ww, but any suggestions on big yield, 8 week, big hitting indica. I have seen a few cycles of Great Whit Shark which seemed 'idiot proof'.

i could recomend you to look in to the Cheese (pref UK Cheese) strain, perfect for SCROG since it super brancy, really really great producer its a Indica/sativa cross breed, indica dominant. Flowering with perfect conditions, would be lower 8 weeks, but anywere from 8-10 depending on room setup. Smoke is awsome, cant find any other words for it, long lasting, kinda sneaks on you for the first 20min. then it fucks u up for 3-5hours depending on quality.

Another tip i can give you if your strain hunting, check out Cannabis Seeds - every strain they sell, they got a nice video review on!! super serious this Arjan dude :D all the info you need on the strain you will get from watching the video review.

And a PH and EC/ppm meter is a must have for any grower, wether woil hydro aero etc, its must have!

hey thanks for the reply.

It seems every local grow shop salesman has "a perfect set-up for newbies", but not many suggestions here.

i could recomend you to look in to the Cheese (pref UK Cheese) strain, perfect for SCROG since it super brancy, really really great producer its a Indica/sativa cross breed, indica dominant. Flowering with perfect conditions, would be lower 8 weeks, but anywere from 8-10 depending on room setup. Smoke is awsome, cant find any other words for it, long lasting, kinda sneaks on you for the first 20min. then it fucks u up for 3-5hours depending on quality.

Another tip i can give you if your strain hunting, check out Cannabis Seeds - every strain they sell, they got a nice video review on!! super serious this Arjan dude :D all the info you need on the strain you will get from watching the video review.

And a PH and EC/ppm meter is a must have for any grower, wether woil hydro aero etc, its must have!

Thanks for the suggestion Cheesus, I have checked attitude and it seems they do not stock "UK Cheese" as a single strain. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information around the origin of 'cheese'. It is suggested, Big Budha gave GH a clone in '06 but they say the true cheese is more sativa dom.

I have looked at more products. Here is my shopping list so far, any insight would be hugely grateful.

Tent - Hydroponics Grow Tent Darkroom Dark Room 120x120x200cm | eBay

lights - 400w ballast hps lamp dutch barn reflector

fan and duct -https://www.fastlec.co.uk/domus-timer-100mm-in-line-duct-fan-p-1846.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=feedmanager&utm_term=cx_term&utm_content=cx_content&utm_campaign=cx_name#.UN3Ur-RWySo

Aluminium Semi Rigid Flexible Duct 100mm dia 300mm [403203] - £2.35

filter - Prima Kilma Air Filters

Nutes offer as many choices as all other products, but feel there are large differences in what they offer, unlike the tent quality or the light quality. Please help

You're welcome Mrpoker,

Yes the cheese strain is an old school strain, that resurfaced again later. I buy my seeds from ams, and have gotten really good quality on my seeds, all germ so far and really great growing plants.

About your setup, its sounds good, you could fit a 600w inthere, wich would give you more yield then a 400w. i did my first grow in a 150x150x220 tent with a 400w hps, Sonagro (both for veg and bloom, budget bulb) i would get a MH for veg and HPS for bloom.

My grow was kinda learning by doing, went ok, got nute burn on all but one. and i had 8 plants in it, 7 were burnt and stunned for the last 4 weeks of bloom, it yielded 370grams more or less. but if u get a big yielder and skip the nute burn u can easy do 500+ grams with that tent. dont forget the Ph meter and Ec/ppm meter, if i had one for my first grow i woulden have burnt them! its that important.

And you will also need a table fan for moving some air around.

Good luck =)

About the Cheese strain, If it just says Cheese, its prob the Uk cheese, you also got blue cheese, swiss cheese and perhaps some others.

I once found Super cheese aswell. but havent been able to find that one again.

Other strains that i know are supposed to be high yielders are, White rhino, Great white shark, moby dick, Light of jah.

havent tried any of them, but i will sure buy both white rhino and great white shark, they all got 8-10weeks of flowering, and i think they would fit nice with my cheese grow, might even breed some of them to try some new stuff out =)

Back
Top Bottom