First time grower - plants in bad shape

ximagine024x

IMG_20131119_104631_967.jpg
IMG_20131119_104341_458.jpg
IMG_20131119_104331_267.jpg
I'm a first time grower. Trying to learn anything and everything I can so I would appreciate it if people didn't leave rude comments. After all its not like you all didn't have to learn to get where you are :)

Anyways I have a 32x32x63 grow tent, using a full spectrum 300 watt LED light
Dwc bucket system with air stone in each
Cut it down to only 2 plants since the other 2 died just until I get the hang of this.
The plants have been in the dwc system for about 3 weeks...after the first week I noticed leaves starting to brown at the tip then eventually totally turn brown and crisp up. I figured this was a nute deficiency so I changed the water/nute mix. The ppms have been around 500 this week and the pH is around 5.5-6
The leaves are still continuing to do this and the plants have basically stopped growing. I want to know what I may have done wrong? Or if my LED isn't adequate? Thank for reading I appreciate any and all responses.

Re: First time grower...plants in bad shape :/

Hi Xinmagine!
Welcome to :420:
Hey don't worry about getting rude comments at this site- I have met nothing but friendly helpful people here. It's a great community of like minded growers.
Unfortunately I am a soil person so I cant help you with your plants, but at least this will bump your post back up to the first page.
Hang in there- someone will post help soon.:peace:

High!
I am also a soil grower but maybe i can help.

How strong is ur nute solution? I.e. 1/2 the recommended dosage.
What kind of nutes r u using?
Is there a reason y u went dwc instead of soil for ur 1st grow? Soil way easier imo.
Whats ur high n low temps/humidity?
Do u ave good air circulation?

Thank you flowerchild! And Blazinazn thank you for replying :)
I started off with 1/4 recommended dosage and now its at about 1/2 the recommended. Im using the general hydroponics flora series. Honestly i just thought it didnt seem that hard to go hydro but i guess i was wrong...shouldve maybe started in soil lol. The temp in the tent is usually around 80..85 at the highest. Humidity is about 25%...i have 2small oscillating fans in there...but i feel the circulation could be better. I plan on ordering a 6 inch inline fan ..think that may help?

im new to hydro aswell but i think your plants were too young for nutes going by size, what do the roots look like? is there any in the res? how close is your light to the lil ones? what temps you got in your grow room and res, some of these answers may help get a better diagnosis of whats happening, hope we can save the little ones or help you get started on a new grow and keep em healthy

I didnt start them out in nutes...started them in just ph'd water and added 1/4 strength nutes once they were a few inches tall. Grow tent temp is between 80 and 85. The roots are healthy looking and hanging in the res but i feel there should be more root growth than there is. I have the led about 8 inches away and i have a few cfls in there to supplement because i wasnt too sure about the led. The cfls are about 4 inches away from each plant. Thank you Taylormade420 i hope so too!

Yes fresh air will help. I would keep her on1/4 strength until she gets use to it and wants more. Since shes young a lil bit of nutes goes a long way. Imo hydro is a step above soil. More things to monitor more things to go wrong.

Do you think theyre still salvageable? I feel like they should be so much bigger by now..

Hello ximagine024x! Do you have intake and exhaust vents? is there enough fresh air from outside the grow room? if your answered no, then you need some sort of inline fan sucking air out of the room and you also need to have fresh air coming in, if it is an enclosed grow room. Also, your LED's might be too close, try setting about 2-3ft away from your plants. I had issues with my plants at first due to the light being so close. Your plants will reach for the light and stretch towards it so don't worry about your light being too far away. :Namaste:

Thank you ledgrower187...i had it about a foot away before. Ill move it a little further..isnt too much stretching a bad thing?

should be more than that in there by now mate, how high up is the water on your net pot?

Yeah i figured there should be more in there by now too. The water is a few inches below the netpot i adjusted once some of them started to hit the water figuring it would encourage growth. Yes im adjusting the ph ...i use RO water and nutes. Based on some research i thought they may be lacking nitrogen too...i adjusted nutes and ppms didnt really know what else to do.

im not sure either mate doesnt sound like ther should be anything wrong, but something some where is causing it,do you have seeds to restart?

Yeah thats why im so frustrated lol but somethings obviously wrong somewhere. I plan on germinating new seeds...any suggestions as far as germinating? What i should put the seeds in? I did rockwool the first time. How long before i add nutes? Ive been using jugs of RO water.
Ive been told to just try germinating them right in the buckets with the hydroton..but since i have no top feed system how often would i water it by hand?

I have a 32x32x60 inch grow tent. 300 watt led light about a foot above the plants. Also have 2 cfls about 4 inches away from each of the plants. I have 2 open vents and 2 small oscillating fans in there. I plan on getting a 6 inch inline fan and an exhaust fan too i suppose.

Back
Top Bottom