First time grower

Hi guys. Sorry to barge in. Quick question if it's ok.
I'm doing my first ebb and flo hydroton in 6'' pots and the roots are escaping far more than I expected. I flood for 15 mins every 3hrs. I have no doubt they'll eventually cover the whole bottom of the table. Should I be concerned about this? About light exposure? Thoughts would be appreciated. Peace.
420-magazine-mobile778933859.jpg

I'm doing my first ebb and flo hydroton in 6'' pots and the roots are escaping far more than I expected. I flood for 15 mins every 3hrs. I have no doubt they'll eventually cover the whole bottom of the table. Should I be concerned about this? About light exposure? Thoughts would be appreciated. Peace.

Also, I top 3 times before pre flower when I fill in the screen.

Nice root system :) but i can't help you sorry buddy !

About my plant, day 50 today !
I did a little defoliation on them, last one before switching to 12/12 for flower that i will do the end of this week and they Hill keep stretching for 2-3 week i think after switching so they will get the height i want.

They stretched about 4-5 inches over the week-end and i will get a nice and even canopy i think !

Before week-end
420-magazine-mobile1672721947.jpg

After week-end
420-magazine-mobile1025023563.jpg

Defoliation, removed a whole bunch of crap :)
420-magazine-mobile1051468548.jpg

Same here GtrMike - I don't have experience with hydro or hydroton. I hope you get answers that other spot where you posted the question.

Peachapoil, Looks like a good plan with your scrog. You are doing this well.

Nice defoliation crap - my worms would eat that up!

I hope so. I've tried in a couple of ask us anything threads, but nothing. I'm sweating. LOL.

Hey! I'm no expert. But in anticipation of this problem when we were considering ebb and flow, we came up with this solution. Try some felt -like grow bags are made of- and wrap it around the bottom of your pots.

Having roots sitting in standing water and excposed to lights is no bueno. :)

The felt will block the light and the roots can't grow through the fabric effectively.

Something we did in our garden was place clay pellets under our pots to allow airflow and extra space for drainage.

I hope this helps! You mentioned you weren't getting a lot of feedback on your questions.

Pretty girls you've got!

Hey! I'm no expert. But in anticipation of this problem when we were considering ebb and flow, we came up with this solution. Try some felt -like grow bags are made of- and wrap it around the bottom of your pots.

Having roots sitting in standing water and excposed to lights is no bueno. :)

The felt will block the light and the roots can't grow through the fabric effectively.

Something we did in our garden was place clay pellets under our pots to allow airflow and extra space for drainage.

I hope this helps! You mentioned you weren't getting a lot of feedback on your questions.

Pretty girls you've got!

Thanks. That's a great idea. I flood for 15 minutes every three hours. Someone suggested putting hydroton/perlite in the bottom of the table, and I was thinking around the pots. But putting the pots right on top may be even better. Hmmm...

Thanks. That's a great idea. I flood for 15 minutes every three hours. Someone suggested putting hydroton/perlite in the bottom of the table, and I was thinking around the pots. But putting the pots right on top may be even better. Hmmm...

Hydroton is better than perlite if you are using nutrients. The water will wick up to the surface, be exposed to light and grow greene algae. Hydroton is a lot easier to wash at the end of a grow :)

I wish I could point you to a hydro grower, the one I friended a couple years ago is no longer active - the other grows hempy, which has less issues than hydro.

Been a few week that i did'nt post on this !
My plant look real good i switch them om 12 12 the 26 may so about 2 week!

Also changed my light for a home made cob light and they pray for light like never before !! The leave were either low or level of ground now they pray up the "sun" now i have to sell my mars hydro light ! Plant fill up almost 80% of the 4x4 tent, canopy is almost even and bud start to build :)

Here some picture
420-magazine-mobile1687508502.jpg
420-magazine-mobile970303255.jpg

Been a few week that i did'nt post on this !
My plant look real good i switch them om 12 12 the 26 may so about 2 week!

Also changed my light for a home made cob light and they pray for light like never before !! The leave were either low or level of ground now they pray up the "sun" now i have to sell my mars hydro light ! Plant fill up almost 80% of the 4x4 tent, canopy is almost even and bud start to build :)

420-magazine-mobile970303255.jpg

Looking very good.

Nice change with the COB.

It would be even a little better If you could find something to prop up the plant on the front right - so her canopy can get close to the light like the others. Maybe set her on a dictionary so she can grow smart and sexy.:rofl:

Just end week 3 of flowering!
1 week after after switching my light and for god sake they seem to love it !
I also lift the front right plant to get it near the light, thanks radogast !

420-magazine-mobile1758980982.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1123018643.jpg

Question about defoliation, i dont want to over defoliate or under defoliate! I remove a lot of stuff in the last few week (kind of scared of bud roth) i think it's looking good but just want to make sure !

Over canopy
420-magazine-mobile210234051.jpg

From the side
420-magazine-mobile1700258022.jpg9

Under canopy
420-magazine-mobile1861629296.jpg

Have a good day !

Everything is looking great man. Can't see your side view though. As far as defoliation goes, I tend to take off everything below the screen. Usually the bottom 30 to 40% of the plant. Entirely. Above the screen I only remove the ones that are causing shade problems. There are many out there who disagree with defoliation in general. One of those things that comes down to experimentation, failing, and succeeding.

Thanks buddy ! Don't know what is happening with the pic cause i see them all!
So again this morning i defoliate a little more, after viewing a lot of video i did my last massive defoliation, everything that was creating shade or not doing anything under the canopy was remove and result in a much lighter canopy and light penetrant, also discovered a ton more bud site that i had no idea they were there because too many big fan leaf i think i did a good move :)

420-magazine-mobile1876979085.jpg

After defoliation
420-magazine-mobile1311270131.jpg

I have a little problem today, i saw that a few leave a turning yellow but only the old one and the plant are starting to turn light green ! I think it's a nitrogen deficiency and i would like to confirm my tought and get some tricks to remedy this problem. I'm finishing my fourth week of flowering

Watered them with calmag on last watering.

420-magazine-mobile1028958865.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1249229914.jpg

I have a little problem today, i saw that a few leave a turning yellow but only the old one and the plant are starting to turn light green ! I think it's a nitrogen deficiency and i would like to confirm my tought and get some tricks to remedy this problem. I'm finishing my fourth week of flowering

Watered them with calmag on last watering.

420-magazine-mobile1028958865.jpg

This is very common during flowering. The plants are removing nutrients from the leaves to build more flowers. Next time, use a little more fertilizer in late veg and in flower.

Your buds will turn out fine. I have lost nearly all my leaves during flowering and still had a good amount of good quality buds. Some growers pride themselves on losing almost all the leaves during flower. I prefer keeping more green leaves.

This is very common during flowering. The plants are removing nutrients from the leaves to build more flowers. Next time, use a little more fertilizer in late veg and in flower.

Your buds will turn out fine. I have lost nearly all my leaves during flowering and still had a good amount of good quality buds. Some growers pride themselves on losing almost all the leaves during flower. I prefer keeping more green leaves.

Agreed. They look fine. I wouldn't try to bump the nitrogen, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom