Florence City Council Mulls Retail Marijuana Grows

Christine Green

Florence - During the public input section of the meeting Monday, the Florence City Council said it would take a look at legalizing retail marijuana grows in the area.

Prior to the public speaking, City Manager Mike Patterson said the staff recommended that only a recreational grow be considered.

"The staff recommends to let the voters decide. Even if the council should approve it, it would still have to go to the voters for TABOR," he said. "We recommend only a recreational growth operation, but to be grown with a buffer from schools, parks, churches, etc. and to have filters. Staff recommends to let the voters decide the entire thing. If it's approved by the voters, we'll go forward with it."

During the visitors section, resident Tim Jordan said the council needs to have some oversight so the city won't have the same problems that Penrose has with marijuana.

Speaking in favor of the decision, Andrew Harman said he has a shop at the airport and is next door to a grow operation. Even though the odor is there, he said he has gotten used to it.

"I'm all for it," he said.

John Miller also spoke.

"We approved the growth of hemp," he said. "At the same time, we also approved testing facilities. Now we have the city considering retail marijuana grow. If the city approves this through a vote or if the voters approve it, how long will it be before we have retail marijuana?"

Mayor Keith Ore said he probably would not get an answer to that question.

Also speaking, Morey Aves said marijuana is a ballooning industry. Within five years, other states will jump in to get some extra money, he said, then the funds would go elsewhere.

"You want to think of your long-term plan rather than your short-term plan," he said.

Scott Embry, who works in a marijuana shop in Pueblo, also spoke.

"We're able to grow this crop with 300 days of sunshine and the best water," he said. "It is a plant and a lot of people benefit from it."

Police Chief Mike DeLaurentis also said he would do whatever the council recommended.

"There's rules and regulations we have to follow," he said. "If the city votes on it, then I have no problem on it. I like what Mr. Patterson has done — to put a 1,000-foot buffer on it and make sure there are filters, regulations other communities have not put in place. I've seen a lot of changes. I have to follow it."

After the visitor's section, the council tabled a decision about the retail marijuana grow operation.

In other business, the council made the following decisions:

— Approved the purchase of a lawn mower.

— Approved task order for engineering for overlay of E. Front Street between Petroleum and Pikes Peak.

— Approved the selection of a grant project consultant.

— Tabled a resolution for an agreement between the City of Florence and Envision Telcom.

— Tabled a resolution for an agreement between the City of Florence and Charter Communications.

— Approved a resolution stating intent regarding annexation and setting a hearing describing the property subject of a petition for annexation to the City of Florence for the Siloam Road addition. Public hearing will be at 7 p.m. July 18.

— Set a public hearing at 7 p.m. June 20 for the renewal of Big D's 3.2 beer off premises liquor license.

— Approved a water tap for Fremont County. Tap location will be at 60298 U.S. 50 in Penrose, contingent on water shares.

— Approved to move the meeting from 7 p.m. July 4 to 7 p.m. July 5 because of the Fourth of July holiday.

1146.jpeg

News Moderator: Christine Green 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Florence City Council mulls retail marijuana grows - Canon City Daily Record
Author: Charlotte Burrous
Photo Credit: Reuters/Euan Rocha
Website: Canon City Breaking News, Sports, Weather, Traffic - Canon City Daily Record

Back
Top Bottom