Fox Farm soil

smokingchris

Hello all, i used fox farm soil on my first grow and it seemed to work great. I would like to know if there is anything I can add to it to make it better? Or maybe a different soil to try

Hey Chris, I don't know about a different soil but I here Fox Farms is one of the bests. They also make nutes so you might want to look into those.
I'm looking into using them for my upcoming grow so I would like to know the answer to your questions as well.

You planing on doing a grow journal?

FFOF is tried and tru and has passed the test as a viable soil for growing. Are you wanting to go/stay(?) 100% organic?

FF soil is great just make sure it does not have bugs in them. The ones I got before had thrips. To make it better you can get nutrients and feed them with your watering. As HazyClouds mentioned FF also makes their own line of nutrients. I've used them before, but now I use Blue Planet Nutrients, which has two important factors; great on plants and easy on the wallet.

Or you can make your own mix using FF soil like Subcool soil. Basically when everything is mix in all you have to do is add water and the plant will have plenty of nute that will last your entire grow from start to finish. The FF soil you have now will only last up to 4 weeks and will need to add nutrients.

Hey Chris, I don't know about a different soil but I here Fox Farms is one of the bests. They also make nutes so you might want to look into those. I'm looking into using them for my upcoming grow so I would like to know the answer to your questions as well.

You planing on doing a grow journal?

Yes I will do a journal I'm just waiting for my seeds, I did use their nutes too they work great. Well I'll be sure to let you know if I find anything better

I mix 50% FFOF and 50% Coco coir, 1tbs lime per gallon mixed, a handful of perlite and then moisten it with a liquid kelp, Earth Nectar & Earth Ambrosia (Mycorrhizal) and I am all done. This simple mix works well for my seedlings, clones, vegging and flowering. I don't start any fertelizers until day 21 of veg from seed.

I do something similar to batcave, I'll mix ocean forest and happy frog basically 50/50, then I'll add some coir, dolomite lime, and one of the most important additions to organic soil, more earth worm castings.

If you want to go 100% organic fox farm nutrients aren't what you want to use, their soil is good stuff though. I'm using the ff soil with general organics nutes and compost teas. If you havent used organic nutes before read up about it, it's a quite a bit different than chem.

Roots organics make a great line of soil and soiless mixes. Sunshine make a really awesome peet and coco mix with mycrohyze and chunky perolite added. With the sunshine mix you start your nutrient feed schedule right away because there are no nutrient additives in the mix. This way you don't have to guess if the mix is too hot and screw your ladies up.
:peace:

yea budbro i would like to go 100% organic. any ideas?
A lot of people beat me to it, lol, so I would also suggest searching here for subcool, supersoil, and check out docbuds grow journals...All great advice and very easy to implement. FFOF is a great way to start so you already figured out 75% of it!

Hey Whitey I am a GH user and am curious to what you think of their organic line.
:smokin:

I'm using it presently, so far I like it. Its my first run with it as well as being my first 100% organic run. I was going to try and stay veganic, but I dont think its going to happen this run. I may break myself in bloom and add some higher P and K guano. Or to get rid of some stuff I may use some steamed bone meal with soluble seaweed that I have on my shelf never opened to boost P and K as well. But I'm looking to use those more for their fungus producing attributes as well as the general organic line on top of one or the other above mentioned concoctions. I figured I'd start off with the GO biothrive and by the 2nd week use the GO bio bud as well as the stuff I mentioned brewed into teas and then mix them both prior to applying them starting all of it at 50% doses or so.

The only thing I have heard with the GO line is if you arent supplementing the soil with amendments and/or using compost teas, you'll need to feed heavy, something like double the recommended doses of the grow and bloom formulas at which ever point of the grow you are. As well as its a slow process where you build up the microlife in the soil so it takes a little veg time to get the soil up and running with enough microbes to feed the plants, you can supplement with the bio-marine or something else but I went with adding some stuff to my soil as well as compost teas. I'm still learning about them though, but so far so good. My plants look like they appreciate the teas and the GO so far, so once I harvest something I'll be able to say how good it truly is, but I'm also doing a lot of other things so I'd have to recommend all the other stuff as well.

I've been adding mostly worm casting teas, but after learning how the worm castings provide a more bacterial tea than fungal, a more bacterial dominant tea is good for veg and fungal dominant teas are better for bloom. I'm in veg but I've been applying them kinda of heavy so I figure I can give the worm teas a rest for a week or 2 before I go and piss something off in the soil and just continue with some brewed up prior to use, general organics stuff. When I throw in a little extra molasses or sugar product to the GO stuff foams just like a compost tea as its basically doing the same thing, letting the micro life reproduce before applying it.

I'd only suggest doing the general organics if you are going to run in soil or soil less.

At this point I like the general organics, but I'll admit that now that I'm learning more about how to use compost teas and amended soil to make my plants thrive without any kind of bottled nutrients for extremely low cost and probably better/more organic than a bottled product for probably a 1/4th of the cost, so I dont know how long I will be using it, but I will have it on hand until I get myself all setup with the teas and the raw materials needed to feed like that. I hear the go boxes are pretty cheap and can produce some very nice and colorful fully organic meds with the GO box alone for like $25 or something, I'd definitely recommend amending the soil a little though.

What they said, lol. Great advice given already! :420: is great. I personally start seeds/clones in FoxFarm Happy Frog, as it helps with root development and is not too strong in nutes. Then I go to Roots Organic soil which is comparable to FoxFarm Ocean Forest. Both soils I mix in 20-30% perlite, and a cup or so of dolomite lime per 1-1.5 cubic ft of soil to balance PH. I also add Mycorrhizae as directed.

I've been recently looking into coco like Sunshine for a heavier yield.

Roots organics make a great line of soil and soiless mixes. Sunshine make a really awesome peet and coco mix with mycrohyze and chunky perolite added. With the sunshine mix you start your nutrient feed schedule right away because there are no nutrient additives in the mix. This way you don't have to guess if the mix is too hot and screw your ladies up.
:peace:

Sunshine seems to be a great product. Sorry for the ignorant question, but it is the same nutes as I would feed in soil that I would feed in Sunshine, correct? I haven't read enough about it yet.

:goodluck: to you smokingchris! You have a lot of support here. :peace:

Yes you can use the same nutrients as you would with soil. What I was getting at is with FF soil it has a nutrient load already in it so you don't add any nutes for the first couple weeks. In my opinion why would you want to use nutes that you don't know the level they are at. With the Sunshine mix it is neutral with just a microhyze added for root health and to help the plant uptake your nutrients that you add as soon as you plant. That way you can start with a light feed and build your plant up to full intake quicker. I just like to know what levels and what I am actually putting in my ladies. I use a regimented feeding schedule and find it easier to get on the right path right away.
:smokin:

I agree with you to a point, I always thought the same thing but only ocean forest has too much nutes in it, once cut with happy frog, perlite, and in my case a little added coir, I'm feeding full strength (GO) nutes by the 2nd or 3rd watering after my initial transplant watering. As well as I Taylor the mix to a seedling/clone to a fully developed plant as far as how much ocean forest I'll add to it. Happy frog is basically a peat based soil with myco, just like pro mix not a whole lot of nutes in it if at all, not sure which is better but your gonna pay more for ff that's for sure. I think in the future the next chance I get to buy some of the promix I'll give it a shot.

I have used promix and sunshine mix and fox farm ocean forest is basically the same stuff, but with enough organic ferts in it, to get you thru most of veg. cycle, without fertilize. I mix coir with 40% perlite, and then mix that 1/1 with fox farm ocean forest ! But i'm always experimenting with different combos !! Ocean forest is good just the way it comes, but It retains water for to long between waterings. With this mix, I use only (down to earth) all purpose fertilizer, every other watering till flush, starting about 2d. week of 12/12. this did good by me !! Good luck and keep it green !!

Back
Top Bottom