Fungus Gnats

Peroxide is really effective, and in addition to killing off the FG it delivers a high dose of o2 to the roots.

The problem with HP is that it eradicates ALL bacterial and fungal life, including the great body of beneficial bacteria and fungus with which the plant establishes a symbiotic/systemic relationship and aids in the production and uptake of nutrients. Point being, if it comes to the nuclear option, as it were, be prepared to add back some bacterial life by using some rich compost teas or just some commercial stuff (Great White or whatever...).

I had a really bad infestation of FG about a year ago (indoors), and the only thing that ultimately eradicated them was Mosquito Bits, which are basically the same as the Mosquito Dunks which @Bush Doctor 77 has mentioned, but in a kind of granular form to begin with making it a little simpler to apply as a top-dress (they use the same active bacteria, and I think they are from the same company).

Here is the logistical problem to keep in mind. The MD and MB products work because of a bacteria that is a natural predator of the FG larvae, and if you apply them before drenching with a HP solution you'll just kill all that anti-larvae bacteria too. In other words, drench first, let it do its work for a few hours, flush really well after, then let it be for a few days to let the HP run its course, then top-dress with the MB or crumbled MD. These will stop the larvae in their tracks, and after 2-3 weeks you should notice a dramatic reduction in numbers. Someone else might have a better sense of the best timeline for all of this, but the basic outline is pretty important.

Just as a precautionary measure, I mix some into every planter when I'm setting up a new grow - I do not want to deal with that swarming miasma of FG's ever again.

Peroxide is really effective, and in addition to killing off the FG it delivers a high dose of o2 to the roots.

The problem with HP is that it eradicates ALL bacterial and fungal life, including the great body of beneficial bacteria and fungus with which the plant establishes a symbiotic/systemic relationship and aids in the production and uptake of nutrients. Point being, if it comes to the nuclear option, as it were, be prepared to add back some bacterial life by using some rich compost teas or just some commercial stuff (Great White or whatever...).

I had a really bad infestation of FG about a year ago (indoors), and the only thing that ultimately eradicated them was Mosquito Bits, which are basically the same as the Mosquito Dunks which @Bush Doctor 77 has mentioned, but in a kind of granular form to begin with making it a little simpler to apply as a top-dress (they use the same active bacteria, and I think they are from the same company).

Here is the logistical problem to keep in mind. The MD and MB products work because of a bacteria that is a natural predator of the FG larvae, and if you apply them before drenching with a HP solution you'll just kill all that anti-larvae bacteria too. In other words, drench first, let it do its work for a few hours, flush really well after, then let it be for a few days to let the HP run its course, then top-dress with the MB or crumbled MD. These will stop the larvae in their tracks, and after 2-3 weeks you should notice a dramatic reduction in numbers. Someone else might have a better sense of the best timeline for all of this, but the basic outline is pretty important.

Just as a precautionary measure, I mix some into every planter when I'm setting up a new grow - I do not want to deal with that swarming miasma of FG's ever again.
Using H.P clean up the problem, 3%,,, 4 liters, let it work for two days,, then flushed waited 2 days again and hit it heavy,Gaia Green, Bud Candy, Ligihtnin grow, all mixed in 10 liters of well water,all is looking fine, i will try the Mosquito Dunks, if that happens again. Thanks for everyone's help.... Peace!

Using H.P clean up the problem, 3%,,, 4 liters, let it work for two days,, then flushed waited 2 days again and hit it heavy,Gaia Green, Bud Candy, Ligihtnin grow, all mixed in 10 liters of well water,all is looking fine, i will try the Mosquito Dunks, if that happens again. Thanks for everyone's help.... Peace!

Glad things are improving! There will probably always be a few floating around if you look for them, but yea, destroy those suckers with a good drench.

One last thing to think about:

Fungus Gnats have four stages of life: Adult (the buggers flying around), Eggs (laid in the soil by adults), Larva (tiny wormy things hatched from eggs), and Pupa (larva housed in little membranes transforming into then hatching into adults). HP will kill whatever is in the soil, but ultimately it leaves a kind of "clean slate" for already adult FGs to lay eggs by the hundreds.

I wouldn't mess around, especially with such a passive and cheap way of precluding a repeat. Just get some Dunks and use as a preventative measure - if they became infested once where they are situated they will become infested again, or most likely will, and it's just not worth the gamble. MD's are cheap, like 10$ or thereabouts, and will stop them at the larval stage. Here's a link to the bits:

In any event, keep up the great work!

Thank You so much Vesti Bule for the advice, im keeping a close eye on them, again thanks for everyone's help on this site this place ROCKS!..... Peace!

Back
Top Bottom