General Hydroponic Dry PH Up/Down (Amazing Product)

WarBux79

My first time growing and I found myself adjusting my PH twice a day. I used up a whole bottle of liquid PH up in 2 months. About 2 days before I ran out my GH Dry PH Up/Down came in. Thank God I really needed it. Now on to the really great part. It seems to last longer then the liquid. Much longer. Before when the lights went on I would check the PH and it would always be below 5. I would adjust it up to about 7 (for a buffer) and 12 hours later right before lights out I would check it again and it would be at about 5. Again I would adjust it up to 7. This happened every day. I was using 3 tsp of PH up a day. Now with this new dry stuff I only have to adjust it up to 6.5 before lights out and it goes all the way until lights out the next day and I only have to use 1/4th tsp a day total. Its about 9 dollars for 1.5 lbs and worth every penny.

Haha wb, thats what i have GH up&down.. very good and very stable. Hey bro, stabalizing your ph every other day is still a bit frequent.. have you taken a peak at your roots lately? were they white?

Yea they are white. I know it sucks having to adjust it so much. Its because of this small reservoir I have. It only holds like 4 gallons. The other area holds a lot more and doesnt seem to need any additional adjustments after the first one with the reservoir change.

ooh ok.. any pics of your grow yet? :popcorn:

Yea I need to update my journal. The old area is having issues and I dont know what I did. I posted a few pics in the FAQ problem solver but I havent gotten a response. I think its because of the PH swings. The other area with the 2 plants that were vegging (pics in journal) just got flipped over to flower today. As soon as something happens I will post some pics of them too.

Two things to point out here - not all pH adjusters are created equal, and of course larger reservoirs are more stable.

First up, a pH adjuster has to have the obvious ingredient of a strong base or acid to push pH up or down as needed. Unfortunately, many of the bargain adjusters stop there. The good ones take it a step further and incorporate a good compliment of "buffers". Without getting technical, these compounds make it harder to push the pH out of the range they're tuned in for. In other words, they try to hold things in the middle where they belong.

THAT is why the quality pH adjusters leave you needing less adjusting. Next time you need more, try out Advanced Nutrients' pH Up an pH Down. I've found them to work just enough better to be worth it.

Second, the issue of reservoir size. Think of it like this - if you add a tablespoon of salt to glass of water, you get really salty water. Do the same thing with a bathtub full of water and then scoop out a glass of water to drink and you'll barely taste the salt (if at all). With smaller reservoirs it takes less "push" to change the pH. That's why it's ideal to use the largest reservoir you can practically manage. Not only will the solution remain at the right pH longer, but it will stay in the target ppm for all your nutrients longer.

Of course there is such a thing as too large, since you will need to change the solution periodically... it would be wasteful to dump and refill a 50 gal reservoir every week or two for growing a single plant.

Two things to point out here - not all pH adjusters are created equal, and of course larger reservoirs are more stable.

First up, a pH adjuster has to have the obvious ingredient of a strong base or acid to push pH up or down as needed. Unfortunately, many of the bargain adjusters stop there. The good ones take it a step further and incorporate a good compliment of "buffers". Without getting technical, these compounds make it harder to push the pH out of the range they're tuned in for. In other words, they try to hold things in the middle where they belong.

THAT is why the quality pH adjusters leave you needing less adjusting. Next time you need more, try out Advanced Nutrients' pH Up an pH Down. I've found them to work just enough better to be worth it.

Second, the issue of reservoir size. Think of it like this - if you add a tablespoon of salt to glass of water, you get really salty water. Do the same thing with a bathtub full of water and then scoop out a glass of water to drink and you'll barely taste the salt (if at all). With smaller reservoirs it takes less "push" to change the pH. That's why it's ideal to use the largest reservoir you can practically manage. Not only will the solution remain at the right pH longer, but it will stay in the target ppm for all your nutrients longer.

Of course there is such a thing as too large, since you will need to change the solution periodically... it would be wasteful to dump and refill a 50 gal reservoir every week or two for growing a single plant.

yeah, the pH Up and pH down stuff has worked for me in the past. I don't like to use it too much as it seems like that means i have bigger problems to attend to than just quick fixing the pH...

:rollit:

yeah, the pH Up and pH down stuff has worked for me in the past. I don't like to use it too much as it seems like that means i have bigger problems to attend to than just quick fixing the pH...

:rollit:

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I mean, if you have to change up the pH all the time, maybe the nute combo just isn't working well.

I use Advanced Nutrients pH up and down from time to time, but not everyday and certainly not in every grow.

:bong:

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I mean, if you have to change up the pH all the time, maybe the nute combo just isn't working well.

I use Advanced Nutrients pH up and down from time to time, but not everyday and certainly not in every grow.

:bong:

Are you growing in hydro or soil? I cant imagine not having to adjust ph at all for a whole grow. Plants during flower naturally raise PH levels.

Back
Top Bottom