Generations?

Re: Generations ??

you are correct.

Can someone please explain what is meant by 5th generation. How exactly do you get to the next generation? Is a clone the Second generation of the mother?
hmm, I always heard;
a seed from a male plant and female plant is one generation. so you are the 5th generation of your great great grandparents.

Clones are copies of a mom and not a generation.

are you looking to get hybrids of two different strains or stabilize/acclimatize a single strain?

My limited understanding is;
Two different plants (one male one female) from different strains crossed make a single generation of varied phenos or hybrids some desirable sometimes not. these can be stabalized by proper selection and back crossing for about 5 generations.

Two plants of the same strain (male and female) crossed make a seed with consistent traits true to the one strain. if careful selection is used in the parent the further generations should be more suited to the location and climate they were bred in.

I will use Malawi as an example of a stable strain from africa that was brought to a mountain in mendo and back crossed for 20 years, what we ended up with was a strain perfectly suited for strong winds, hot dry temps and cold foggy nights with early frost protection, instead of a scrawny plant that breaks in a slight breeze and dies when its gets under 60.

ok...I think I'm following you with what your saying.. I'm not familiar with the term back crossing so I sorta got lost there. After you crossed the first two plants, you got the second generation, I'm assuming. So plant A(male) and Plant B(female)..made Plant C(xy), which is the second generation. Now...Plant C is crossed with what to make the third generation? Do you have to figure out the sex of plant C and either cross is with the A or B again? So, if Plant C, is a female, if you cross it with Plant A, you would get plant D...and is Plant D the third generation?
Thank you for your time in answering Snowbender...I'm just curious...and just trying to learn all that I can.

Im quickly getting in over my head...But it would depend on what are you trying to accomplish.
Backcrossing is a crossing of a hybrid with one of its parents or an individual genetically similar to its parent, in order to achieve offspring with a genetic identity which is closer to that of the parent. It is used in horticulture, animal breeding and in production of gene knockout organisms."

Advantages

• If the recurrent parent is an elite genotype, at the end of the backcrossing programme an elite genotype is recovered
  • As there is no "new" recombination, the elite combination is not lost
Disadvantages

• Works poorly for quantitative traits
  • Is more restricted for recessive traits
  • In practice, sections of genome from the non-recurrent parents are often still present and can have unwanted traits associated with them
  • For very wide crosses, limited recombination may maintain thousands of 'alien' genes within the elite cultivar
  • Many backcrosses are required to produce a new cultivar which can take many years
-wiki

When somebody says 5th generation clone it refers to that clone being cloned from a plant that was cloned from another clone 5 times removed from the original plant from seed.
Here's an generic breakdown.

Seed plant is #0
clone from seed plant is gen 1
clone from gen1 clone is gen 2
clone from gen 2 clone is gen 3 and so on

What Snowbender is referiing to is F1 cross breeding where you come up with F2 strains, ie hybrids. This is much more complex than the cloning. Hopefully a breeder can stop by and go into detail on when and how an F1 becomes an F2

Orangeblood, do you know if a plant loses some of its potential THC...if it is a clone from a clone of a clone? I read somewhere that the plant gets a little weak with every clone..but I have heard that adding generations makes a plant desirable. Would you rather have an 11th generation plant...or the original seedling plant?

This is topic of great debate for some.
I think it's all dependant upon strain. My personal opinion which comes from experience is that clones get better the further they're removed from the original plant from seed.
My faves are clones between 4 and 10 generations. That's just based on personal experience.

With my White Widow for example I'm experiencing increased potency, increased density from tighter internodes, and a more resiliant plant that can take abuse or less than optimal conditions and still yield an awesome crop.

I say it's strain dependant because I grew Motavation and it fell apart after only 3 generations. It basically started growing weak three point leaves and stretched like crazy and yielded next to nothing. I dont know if was the cloning or unstable genetics.

Some people claim that loss of potency and hermies can happen from cloning clones but I have yet to see a single pic that shows a good clone bad clone comparison. I think alot of that talk is speculation and myth.

To answer your question, Yes I would much rather have an 11th gen clone over a seedling. Any day every day.

Here are two clones that are 12th and 13th generation

First up is 12th gen WW.

100_00832.JPG

100_0072.JPG

She looks pretty potent to me!

Here's a daughter of the above plant growing outdoors this Summer

000_04631.JPG

wow, those look absolutely fabulous....so..as your veggin ur plant, your taking a cutting or two from it to continue the generations? Do you have dedicated mothers? Do you have any idea what your yield is per plant of WW?

Thank you again..for your time answering these questions

Thanks!
Yes I have a dedicated mother.
This starts at the seed.
I sprout 2-4 female seeds and pull 6+ clones from the best plant.
The best clone from that batch becomes the mother that will veg for three to four months, sometimes longer or shorter, all depends. For me space is the main deciding factor on when a mother plant is just too big and has to flower.
I look for the best lower branches from that mama to clone and become the next mama.
During her time in veg I'll take as many clones as needed. A mature mama with tight nodes and multiple branching can yield dozens of clones every week or two.
Across the board combining indoor & outdoor yields my widows average about a 1/2oz per 12" of plant grown.
This is the GreenHouse Seeds WW strain

Back
Top Bottom