Germination Frustration!

Boy I tell you, I read about germination for days upon days before the time came. I read about all the methods, watched videos on germinating and read some more.

My first try I decided to germ right in my DBHB soil. I was using some older seeds, so I wasn't too optimistic. I soaked them for about 18 hours and then popped them in cups, watered them (maybe a little too much) and under the lights they went. Fast forward 48+ hours and nothing. I waited a couple more days. Finally decided to dig them up and not one of those seeds had popped.

My next try I figure I would go the easy route and just pop my seeds in distilled water. Away I go with my little plastic cups, one seed per cup. Using tweezers, making sure not to touch the seeds. And I wait. One day, two days. Today is day three and still nothing. One of the seeds does look like a part of the seed husk has come off, but not cracked.

So I figure yesterday I would take a few seeds out of the water and stick them in Rapid Rooters to give that method a try. I have been keeping them damp, but nothing to report as of yet. Today I took another seed out of the water and tried the paper towel method.

Thinking I was maybe wrong in not pHing my water, I just went and did that. Reads right around 7.0 on my digital meter and around 6.5-7 on my liquid test kit. I am stumped. I will give these guys another week and then I might need to rethink things.

I swear I am jinxed here. Just sharing my frustration with you guys. :thanks:
OK be honest, are you one of those impatient people that keep flipping up soil to see the progress and things like that?

Are the seeds developed? Dark brown with black tiger stripes? How old are the seeds? How were they stored? Whats the temp of the water? Sometimes it can take 4 days though. Try seeds from an alternate source.

Boy I tell you, I read about germination for days upon days before the time came. I read about all the methods, watched videos on germinating and read some more.

My first try I decided to germ right in my DBHB soil. I was using some older seeds, so I wasn't too optimistic. I soaked them for about 18 hours and then popped them in cups, watered them (maybe a little too much) and under the lights they went. Fast forward 48+ hours and nothing. I waited a couple more days. Finally decided to dig them up and not one of those seeds had popped.

My next try I figure I would go the easy route and just pop my seeds in distilled water. Away I go with my little plastic cups, one seed per cup. Using tweezers, making sure not to touch the seeds. And I wait. One day, two days. Today is day three and still nothing. One of the seeds does look like a part of the seed husk has come off, but not cracked.

So I figure yesterday I would take a few seeds out of the water and stick them in Rapid Rooters to give that method a try. I have been keeping them damp, but nothing to report as of yet. Today I took another seed out of the water and tried the paper towel method.

Thinking I was maybe wrong in not pHing my water, I just went and did that. Reads right around 7.0 on my digital meter and around 6.5-7 on my liquid test kit. I am stumped. I will give these guys another week and then I might need to rethink things.

I swear I am jinxed here. Just sharing my frustration with you guys. :thanks:

Bahahaha. And edit ..it’s a 2015 thread
anyways ..
not distilled water , spring water is best ...make sure they are warm ..and I’ve NEVER ph’d

I soak for 12-15 hours in a shot glass ..then pour the shot glass onto paper towels, then carefully into an OPEN large ziplock bag , wrapped in a tea towel to keep the light out ( but they still need to be able to breath ) and on top of the cable box
seems to be the perfect temp 100% success haha

remember once the tap root comes out and you put her in soil she still needs a half day to a day of complete darkness to encourage her to see the light ..
hope this makes sense

Back
Top Bottom