Germination Question

mmclient

The steps necessary for germination are generally pretty uniform with one exception. When moving the emerging seedlings from darkness to light, regardless of the medium, is it best to use some form of a clone dome, where the humidity is kept high and then gradually introduced to a drier atmosphere? Or, does the clear top to the dome trap too much heat for the emerging seedlings? It seems the dome isn't necessary since there are no 'green' leaves yet to require extra hydration. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

You don't need a dome for seeds plus when they are sprouted you are going to want a gentle breeze on them, just keep your medium moist.

For sure what Dogstick said. I just sprouted 27 seeds, and they weren't all the same strain. They were actually about 10 or more strains of EMERALD TRIANGLE gear + freebies and every single seed sprouted without exception. I have found a rather fool proof method for sprouting seeds because I rarely grow from clones any more. Plants grown from seed tend to be a lot stronger, and also yield better bud while withstanding stress better IMHO. What I did was buy a bag of LIGHT WARRIOR seed starter, and Dixie Cups. Labeled all the Dixie Cups and slit 5 or so holes in the bottom of the cups for drainage. Filled the cups with the LIGHT WARRIOR, prewatered the medium with water and then used the rest of the unused DIXIE CUPS filled with water to presoak my seeds for @ least 48 hours or until white rootlets were present. Made a small hole in the moist soil of each cup filled with LIGHT WARRIOR and barely put the seed more than a few millimeters below ground, exercising extreme caution not to damage the fragile rootlet. I repeated this about 20 or so times and waited. Within a week all my seeds had sprouted. Once the seeds sprout, if you notice they are beginning to show signs of losing their green leaves, water with a light solution of fertilizer water and that should bring the color back to the leaves. :goodluck:

Also, I forgot to mention that when sprouting seeds moisture and heat is key. A lot of people use heating pads or heating coils designed specifically for seed trays. You have to be careful not to cook your seeds but also make sure they are not too cold. Also, moisture is key. Make sure your medium is wet at all time but not soaked. I water once or twice with a watering can and the rest of the time when they are tiny plants I use a spray bottle specifically made for misting small developing plants.

I like your straight statement. as I am a pupil and have a lot to learn, what is the favarobel temp. for germinating?

In the mean time I read the item of SmokeyMacPot of 12-05-2007 "How do I germinate seeds" and that explaint everything, thanks SmokeyMacPot !
regards
denker

Well to be honest Cannabis likes the temperature about the same temperature as humans. If you are completely naked and are not cold or too hot it is probably a good temperature for your plants. Right now I am germinating 4 seeds in Dixie Cups. They have not yet grown their first set of leaves and this is the most critical time when moisture and heat is key. What I do is put all my Dixie Cups on a plastic tray for a 5 gallon pot. I then put the tray on top of an old heating pad I've had for many moons. I keep the heating pad on the lowest setting and just give it enough heat to where its keeping the cold away but not giving it so much heat it hurts the plant. The main reason many new growers grow from clones rather than seeds is because there is a lot more things that can go wrong when growing from seeds. Not to mention, premium seeds are very expensive. Too expensive in my opinion. I think all this nonsense with the Govt. hassling everyone telling people not to smoke weed, and hassling collectives and dispensaries who are just trying to follow the law, pay tax and make an honest living in this terrible economy. Meanwhile, the Govt. give big Pharma the permits to grow lot's of cannabis to make marinol pills. Every day people are seeing through their shell game and how destructive politicians have been to our very well being. Sorry to go on a rant but I think the Govt. should keep their hands out of drugs. Drugs are a medical decision, not a police or a political decision!

Tks Growing 247 for I was pleasantly surprised of your answer.
because I did not immediately live in your environment I don't understand what you mean with "What I do is put all my Dixie Cups on a plastic tray for a 5 gallon pot".
Sure I'am new but not a dummy, my first seeds came from a packet of birdseed and I still use all the inferior seeds I become for free.
Fortunately I have a good temperature between 77 and 90 (the seeds are in a little black box in the growroom) I cannot count all the mistaks on two hands I have made sofar.
I totally agree your stadement of the Govt. special the treatment of certain chemical and pharmaceutical companies. But as you say this is not the place to discus that.
tks again Growing 247
denker

Back
Top Bottom