Germination question?

pimpschmokie

Hi everybody!! I have a quick question about germination....

I have read you can put seeds in a glass of water and that will allow germination... also placing them in between paper towels and keeping them damp...

what really is the best method out there?? also, I just picked up a 250W HPS
Econogro MiniPlant Grow Light that will be used in a closet to grow about 4-6 plants... that should be sufficient, correct??

thank you in advance.

Re: Germination question??

If I'm doing an indoor soil grow I prefer to plant the seeds in the same container I'm gonna grow them in, 1/2" deep on it's side. Keep the soil lightly moist until they pop up.

pimp!! if i were you i'd do a couple seeds in water and a couple in the paper towel. so that you can decide for yourself....
the method i use is paper towel method that is what i prefer...
make your own choice and that will be the best decision you can make because you have no one to blame but yourself if it doesn't work... and you can find out what you think is the best way for you.....and your style

rockwool cubes are what i like to use, but its up to you which way you want to germ your seeds, just keep them damp and warm and in the dark which ever way you decide to use

thanks fellas... just waiting on the seeds... female wonder woman from dr. chronic.. also waiting on the 250 w hps light

Hello, We all have different methods and I'm sure they all work well. So here goes. In the past. I have soaked mine in distilled water. I put the beans in a shot glass and set them in a dark spot over night. Usually in the morning there's a little tap root sticking out of the bottom of the bean. If after a day the bean doesn't get a little tap root.....well get your paper towels and place them in between them and seal in a plastic zip-lock bag. Place bag on plate and cover with dark towel. Place plate on back of TV or on top of DVD Player for warmth. Remember to check them the next day and like everyone else said. Don't let them dry out EVER.Give it love I get my 3 gallon pot and pop it in tap root down and just cover the top with my soil and keep it moist. In a few days you will have a new friend.

Later Gator
Dad

Here's a couple more cents!

Take a dinner plate, lay a double layer of paper towel on the plate, dribble enough non-clorinated water to soak but not puddle, spread the beans on the moist towel, cover the whole thing with plastic wrap, and set in warm 75F-85F dark place. In 2-3 days the ones that will; have popped and are ready for planting.

I never had any luck with folding towel over the beans, maybe not enough air?

i use a sponge, tear out lil, "pockets" if you will and put a bean in there, water it, cover it in saran, then the next day i normally have at least one.

RangerDanger said:
If I'm doing an indoor soil grow I prefer to plant the seeds in the same container I'm gonna grow them in, 1/2" deep on it's side. Keep the soil lightly moist until they pop up.

This method is preferred for many growers cause you never touch or damage the roots. The only drawback is space saving and I think most people can handle this.

Akornpatch said:
Normally soak in water overnight then into a wet paper towel in a warm place.

I like this method too but also put damp paper towel in a ziplock bag to retain moisture. You don't want the towel to dry or you risk the chance of seriously damaging the pent root.

Toilet paper is great because it breaks down fast and does less damage to the fine hairs on the root. Glad you brought that up too.
Its good knowing we have a strong grow support now. Don't ever leave Akorn.

Back
Top Bottom