Gold from the 1970's

Unless the plant is purple, to begin with it will not turn purple when dried. The Colombian Gold I got in '79 was picked early. Immature seeds. Not great stuff. Poor farmers doing what they could to survive. Not great growers carefully tending the plant. 90% of pot will turn yellow or brownish yellow if you leave it in the sun or just in a jar long enough. I have seen both so I know.

Cutting the stalk, girdling, or lack of fertilizer is not great farming practice. Easy and common. Most stuff from 70's was poorly grown and handled after.

I am growing real Colombian Gold now. The fan leaves turn yellow with no lack of nutrients or girdling. Buds in the jar get yellower,brownish by the day.
Sorry to hear you didn't get any of the good stuff. It was amazing weed and I have not found a replacement. There has to be a way to get that cure they did

Check out New420guy seeds, he has a Santa Marta Columbian. I just finished 3 of them, they were heavy yielders, and I like the buzz, although the plants are obviously hybrids, but I doubt this was done by the seller. The plants have 2 phenos, one actually turns golden yellow in senescence, the other turns purple. Very good calyx to leaf ratio, with high resin production. The buzz is more like I remember weed in the old days, than how the new "strains" make you feel. I texted the seller to ask if he crossed it, and he said no, he had received the strain from a friend sometime around 2015.

Having said that, I would estimate the potency to be in the range of 15%, which is where I like to be these days- I'm not wanting to be incapacitated, just functional/feel good. On a side note, I did a 72 Colombian Gold from USC. Let it go for 19 weeks at chop. Not impressed. Smells and tastes like hay, even after a long cure. But I am starting to think that the nutes I have been using might be the problem, since the terps on several recent grows have been unimpressive, but huge yield, great resin production and potency.
Hope that helps, sorry for rambling!

There must be a way to reproduce the result. When people start understanding the comparison to fine wine in relation to the central American stuff from the 70's then we will see nice smoking weed. I like the modern hybrids ok and I get stoned, but its like grain alcohol as compared to good wine.

Sorry to hear you didn't get any of the good stuff. It was amazing weed and I have not found a replacement. There has to be a way to get that cure they did

You misunderstand. The Colombian Gold I got was good quality for sure, I knew the dealer and he did not deal crap. It was fresh real CG. I just did not care for it a lot. The Colombian Green I had was much more euphoric and satisfying for me.

I grew out some CG '72 seeds from USC and got a quite good effect from it. I did not notice the strong incense smell with the USC CG though. All the Colombian I had in the seventies had that strong odor when smoking it.

The cure was often just letting the plants dry on the stalk in the ground. No tricks involved with their curing to my knowledge. Genetics and intense sun.

I am working on getting REAL Acapulco Gold seeds from growers in Mexico. Not the stuff peddled as such. I had the real thing and it was so psychedelic, that things were made into another world in my mind. No hallucinations but otherwise, out of body feeling, visual intensity to a cartoon effect level. Spiritual effect was the best though, nothing has come close except shrooms.

Agreed entirely! I was very fortunate to have had the connect for some fine gold & red that was comparable to some of today's best. Colombian or Mexican, who knows (mine came through Jamaica). It was even better than the Sensimilla or Thai available in the day and with unique energy & superb tastes too. Unfortunately, there was allot of bogus gold around (NYC), usually blonder and less dense. Although many paid for it. not everybody knew the real deal.
I think you are confusing a growing method with a variety.
"Sin semilla" ("sedless" in English). I believe that the term passed from the Spanish-speaking world to the English-speaking world through Trinidad and Tobago, and especially Jamaica, where both words were joined in the term we all know now, "sinsemilla", popularly abbreviated "sinse"... Corruption to "sensimilla" and "sensi" I don't know if it also originated in Jamaica, but it's a mistake.

Corinto seeds from Colombia are soon arriving. Supposed to be better than the other Colombians. No idea, but took a chance over at The Landrace Team. Could not find it anywhere else. We will see.

Corinto seeds from Colombia are soon arriving. Supposed to be better than the other Colombians. No idea, but took a chance over at The Landrace Team. Could not find it anywhere else. We will see.
Corinto Púrpura Colombiana (photo from Cannabiogen seedbank archives):

1670786295390.png

Where can order from this company??

I'm afraid that Cannabiogen stopped producing seeds this year to focus only on fertilizers for cannabis cultivation. Their Colombian Punto Rojo and their Mangobiche had a very good reputation here... Only the seeds that the distributors keep remain, and I'm also afraid that they hardly have any, because as soon as the end of Cannabiogen seed reproduction was confirmed, there was a barrage of purchases of the stock of its distributors....

Thanks for your reply, but I was really referring to the Corinto seeds that Yesum was talking about. I wonder if these are related to what Redrider is working on?

You misunderstand. The Colombian Gold I got was good quality for sure, I knew the dealer and he did not deal crap. It was fresh real CG. I just did not care for it a lot. The Colombian Green I had was much more euphoric and satisfying for me.

I grew out some CG '72 seeds from USC and got a quite good effect from it. I did not notice the strong incense smell with the USC CG though. All the Colombian I had in the seventies had that strong odor when smoking it.

The cure was often just letting the plants dry on the stalk in the ground. No tricks involved with their curing to my knowledge. Genetics and intense sun.

I am working on getting REAL Acapulco Gold seeds from growers in Mexico. Not the stuff peddled as such. I had the real thing and it was so psychedelic, that things were made into another world in my mind. No hallucinations but otherwise, out of body feeling, visual intensity to a cartoon effect level. Spiritual effect was the best though, nothing has come close except shrooms.
I had what they called Comercial Colombian in the 70s but I think it was just Mexican brick weed. I worked with some illegals in late 70s and smoked some killer stuff they had at lunch and was so high I didn’t go back to work. I bought a oz for 20 bucks and a week later Immigration came and busted them all. CL🍀

Old guy, I was born in '53 too. You mentioned newguy420. I bought what I was told were regular GDP seeds from him. 3 out of 10 actually popped. I wrote him, no reply. Turns out the "regular" seeds were auto feminized. NOT WHAT I ORDERED OR GOT. I have noticed he has kinda faded away. Guess I wasn't the only one he sold other than advertised.

The packaging that he used caused customs to open it, fortunately, they let it through. But it was packaged so poorly and the name for return on it was so suspicious sounding, but I can’t believe they would send it like that.

OG53, I have known red rider for a while. He now says he has about 37 strains from the colombian countryside. And he is still collecting and growing.

Well I was the guy got only the best Columbia weed lower Brownhill weed and gold Colombian weed with real honey oil in the 70s 1977 to 1980 the one and only Marijuana kid or I was a man then put a kid at heart!!! And why did you laugh on the Colombian gold and with the honey oil you smoked a half a joint with four people and sat there for an hour do you want any more no I’m good you’re real marijuana not this chemically grown cloned crap they grow today I’m one of the few left
Hey buddy I am from that time you mentioned when 4 people shared one joint and laughed. Today’s crap doesn’t even compare to the high you got from the 1970s 1980. Do you know where I could purchase the columbian gold ?

I have Colombian Gold '72, Michoacan, Oaxacan, Guerrero that I grew. They all beat the shit out of that SSH. Panama Red, Jamaican Lambsbread x Original Haze, Cambodian x Thai, Acapulco Gold are coming up, all real not fakes.

What bank you getting your seeds from may I ask?

Those were mostly from Snowhigh. I have been using many banks since then. Indian Landrace Exchange, Khalfa Genetics, Real Seed Co and others. East Africa Genes and hyp3rids is the last ones I have used.

OK, I'm having a hard time reading a lot of this. People commenting on 70s weed that were NOT there. I started growing in 70 (failed in 69). Talking about Mexican "dirt weed" as if that was all there was is BS. Just stop it. It depended on how good your connections were believe me. Some close to the bone NYC connections would change your point of view (if you could have been there). There was so much awesome Colombian around with no names that never is seen in photos.
In 74? when High Times Magazine came out I was looking at photos they published with disappointment. If you think what you see in that magazine from those times is really the best, you are wrong. Pictures of Hawaiian were not the golf ball size seedless, leafless buds and much of the Colombian they showed wasn't that special. Regarding purple, if you took seeds from Colombian gold and grew them in say, Massachusetts, purple is what you got usually. Whatever Colombian looked like that you bought would not look the same at all when you grew it. That was OK because personally curated home grown weed became what people bought. Here's a news flash for you. People were growing awesome weed in places like Maine or Mass. in the 70s that was never seen in magazines. Unfortunately most of that went up in a puff of smoke.
Nowadays talking to all these young "geniuses" can be a real pain in the ass because they think they know everything. If you tell the you smoked the real, original Acapulco gold or Panama red or Moroccan, Lebanese, Afghani opiated hash etc. etc. it means nothing to them. You get that "Ya whatever" look and they treat you like you have been hiding under a rock the last 20 years and the have "knowledge" you don't know. It's laughable as well as disrespectful (to someone who has grown outdoors the last 50+ years).
BTW, all this focus on THC percentage is kinda dumb. It does count but if you have some 26% and some 13% it takes 2 hits to get there instead of one. Everybody over smokes anyway so it matters not. It's like saying 151 rum is "better" than 80 proof. So what if you piss blood the next morning.
Don't get me started on Terpenes! What they call skunk these days is a joke.

Well you gotta remember, most did not have great connections, such as myself. Most of the Mexican I got was good at the lowest prices too. I got Michoacan for 10 bucks an ounce. I know as I bought seeds from Snow and grew out identical smoke from them. Was not called Michoacan in '74.

Plenty of average and crap stuff but some gems that were sadly lost. If you or anyone has the REAL Acapulco Gold please spread it around. What is sold as AG today is not at all that. Either that or you need Guerrero sun to activate it.

THC is the main driver in pot but not all there is. Terpenes get a lot of talk lately but imo there are other chemicals at work that also do a lot for the high and we do not know what they are. 500 or so chemicals counted lately and that number keeps going up. When in combo with each other, just impossible to know everything occurring in the process called getting high.

People that were not there in the 60's and 70's have no clue, and as was said, if all you got was the bottom of the barrel back then, your view is skewed. No rose colored glasses looking back. Most was just ok stuff. The dealer would keep the best and then his close friends might get the rest.

It was a fun time to grow up. Yeah, like was said above, it wasn't all choice weed...but the standouts were very memorable. It was a different time where it was about who you knew. Supply was always come and go and the dry spells could really be severe. It was all imported in. Nobody was growing a thing. It was far harder to be high then than it is now, for sure.

Dunno about the rest of you in other areas of the country then...but I didn't see GREEN (fresh) pot in the Midworst until the late 70's when "sinsemilla" hit...and even then it was rare.

IMO, most of the seeded mexi/thais/lumbo/etc we were smoking on was likely a year old, It was CURED pot...be it to different degrees of goodness...but it was cured. That's why a lot of folks who start growing and head for the sativas/etc and find disappointment/nothing like they remember. Lumbo wasn't green then. Thai sticks weren't green either.
The FRESH pot yer gonna grow from Columbian Gold seeds >is< gonna be green. It may taste good but it isn't gonna taste like you remember it tasting.

And back then weed was just something to tone down the other $2 a hit or 4-for-a-dollar substances we were ingesting en masse'.

Yup. Good times.

Back
Top Bottom