Gold from the 1970's

I noticed the Mexican was less than Colombian in price Mr. kid. Same for me as I remember. I think the best of the Mexican was equal or better than the Colombian but rare. First the Mexican lost quality then the Colombian. The Best of both was grown in the 60's and fell down thru the 70's. ending with US grown hybrids taking over top spot in '79 or a bit earlier.

I remember being thrilled with quality seedless US grown buds in '79. I now long for the good old days and pure sativas. Funny how that worked. I never had any but there was seedless Colombian being imported in small batches during the 60's. Large scale growing ended the top quality for the most part.

No use agreeing the point. It does not exist anymore. I just want to clarify a few things. The reason you got bad Colombian Gold is because you got Columbian not the real Columbian Gold. As with today just because someone says its something does not make it true. Columbian and Acapulco Gold were regional strains with limited supply. Lots of trash weed was sold under those names. While the scraping of the stalks making the weed better may be a myth. The fact that they came up with it shows they were finding ways to make their weed better. Yes you are right. There are lots of places where non caring people are growing massive amounts of weed only for profit with no cares of the outcome. That does not mean that there were regions that took a lot of pride in their product. As I remember it most Pure golds that I got were actually lightly seeded. They were not so much growing just females they were protecting their genetics. They removed most of but not all the males. They still needed to replace seed stock for the next year. In turn that may have help those plants produce more crystal by not having easy access to pollen. Those genetics stayed in their regions because it was their own and they protected it. The fact that people are talking about their marijuana 40+ years later proves they were right. Thinking that just because someone is a poor dirt farmer that they do not also have pride in their product is just arrogant.
So true. 50 years later we are still talking about it. But no one seems to know how to reproduce the results.

The other day I asked my buddy if he would rather have Thai/'Lumbo/Acapulco Gold or the best sinsemilla he'd ever had. He scoffed at the idea of even bothering with the modern..."stuff"...if the good old stuff was available. Sorry, young'uns, but y'all missed the good stuff! And the proof is that we're still talking about it 50 years later. Think anybody's gonna be talking about CrazyAss Space Monkey Kush in 50 years? I doubt it!

I started smoking weed when I was 14 in 1971. At that point, all of the weed we got was Mexican. We'd see these bricks of very compressed Mexican, red or blue wrapped. If you saw it in a bag, it was easy to tell it came from a brick. It was seeds, stems, flower, and leaf. Not all was from bricks. Really, I guess most of what we got was not from pressed bricks. We'd clean off the seeds and stems on double-album covers. We made pipes out of deer and elk antlers and brass pipe fittings, but mostly we'd smoke joints. Then we started to see different types of weed, ie Michoacan, Oaxacan, Guerreren, Acapulco Gold, Columbian Gold, Panama Red, and Thai Stick. We smoked every day, all day, unless we hit a dry spell. Dime bags of Mexican were $10/oz. I remember Panama Red for $45/oz. We thought it was outrageous, but once you smoked it, the price was not an issue. We'd put the bong in the fridge over-night and hit it as soon as we woke up for maximum effect. Three bong hits of the Panama Red would stone the piss out of you, but it was a comfortable, super-stoney-high.

Fast-forward to the present (including multiple years prior), and the weed is all flower, super-professionally grown and processed, and grab-you-by-the-nap-of-the-neck-powerful. I smoke occasionally. One solid toke is all I need. I appreciate the health benefits of not having to smoke as much; however, this new weed is really too powerful for my blood. It doesn't take much for me to become uncomfortably high.

I don't think the high from 1975 is the same high as 2022. People say smoke less. Smoking less does not recreate the old high. It's not just the potency. The high itself is different. Of course weed is weed, but I think there is a very noticeable difference. Maybe it had to do with having the leaf and flower mixed together. Maybe it was the fact that plants were allowed to produce seed. Maybe male plants were thrown into the mix. I'm guessing the cannabinoids and terpenes and tri-chromes are all somehow in different proportions and mixtures. I don't know what, exactly, but I'm certain the high is different.

For me, the high used to be very relaxing. Very stoney with heavy eyes. This new weed is exceedingly psychedelic. Very trippy, but harder to manage if you get super-high. More on the edge of your seat than laid back in the couch. More intense and more tense. Some part of this may be changes in my neurochemistry, but I feel that can't be all of it. Keep in mind, I only smoke here and there these days. I have zero tolerance. Every time I smoke, it's like smoking for the first time. I think the mix of cannabinoids has to be way different. I want dispensaries to offer weed the way I used to buy it, like Panama Red. I'm not the only old timer who feels this way. I've read other posts on the net where people say similar things.

I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts on any of this. Particularly, do you think the high itself is different, not just more potent?

The other day I asked my buddy if he would rather have Thai/'Lumbo/Acapulco Gold or the best sinsemilla he'd ever had. He scoffed at the idea of even bothering with the modern..."stuff"...if the good old stuff was available. Sorry, young'uns, but y'all missed the good stuff! And the proof is that we're still talking about it 50 years later. Think anybody's gonna be talking about CrazyAss Space Monkey Kush in 50 years? I doubt it!
No. They won’t be talking about crazy ass space monkey kush. Your right. But they will however talk about OG, skunk, diesel, chronic, krippy and purp.
And more recently they will talk about
The generation of cookies, runtz, gelato, and glues

For me the old stuff was psychedelic and the modern stuff not too much so. On the modern stuff being hard to handle, I had the same reaction but after some time I can smoke it without issue. Problem is I do not like the high. I smoke landrace sativa almost exclusively now.

Congo Black from The Landrace Team is among the latest I have grown. It reminds me in the smell of the smoke and high of the early Mexican pot I smoked. That early Mexican was great, the later stuff not so great.1974 was the year. Also have Laos 2 from Real Seeds. It is a very racy sativa/trippy high, one pheno was not racy. Something like Thai stick I imagine as I never had that.

I started smoking weed when I was 14 in 1971. At that point, all of the weed we got was Mexican. We'd see these bricks of very compressed Mexican, red or blue wrapped. If you saw it in a bag, it was easy to tell it came from a brick. It was seeds, stems, flower, and leaf. Not all was from bricks. Really, I guess most of what we got was not from pressed bricks. We'd clean off the seeds and stems on double-album covers. We made pipes out of deer and elk antlers and brass pipe fittings, but mostly we'd smoke joints. Then we started to see different types of weed, ie Michoacan, Oaxacan, Guerreren, Acapulco Gold, Columbian Gold, Panama Red, and Thai Stick. We smoked every day, all day, unless we hit a dry spell. Dime bags of Mexican were $10/oz. I remember Panama Red for $45/oz. We thought it was outrageous, but once you smoked it, the price was not an issue. We'd put the bong in the fridge over-night and hit it as soon as we woke up for maximum effect. Three bong hits of the Panama Red would stone the piss out of you, but it was a comfortable, super-stoney-high.

Fast-forward to the present (including multiple years prior), and the weed is all flower, super-professionally grown and processed, and grab-you-by-the-nap-of-the-neck-powerful. I smoke occasionally. One solid toke is all I need. I appreciate the health benefits of not having to smoke as much; however, this new weed is really too powerful for my blood. It doesn't take much for me to become uncomfortably high.

I don't think the high from 1975 is the same high as 2022. People say smoke less. Smoking less does not recreate the old high. It's not just the potency. The high itself is different. Of course weed is weed, but I think there is a very noticeable difference. Maybe it had to do with having the leaf and flower mixed together. Maybe it was the fact that plants were allowed to produce seed. Maybe male plants were thrown into the mix. I'm guessing the cannabinoids and terpenes and tri-chromes are all somehow in different proportions and mixtures. I don't know what, exactly, but I'm certain the high is different.

For me, the high used to be very relaxing. Very stoney with heavy eyes. This new weed is exceedingly psychedelic. Very trippy, but harder to manage if you get super-high. More on the edge of your seat than laid back in the couch. More intense and more tense. Some part of this may be changes in my neurochemistry, but I feel that can't be all of it. Keep in mind, I only smoke here and there these days. I have zero tolerance. Every time I smoke, it's like smoking for the first time. I think the mix of cannabinoids has to be way different. I want dispensaries to offer weed the way I used to buy it, like Panama Red. I'm not the only old timer who feels this way. I've read other posts on the net where people say similar things.

I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts on any of this. Particularly, do you think the high itself is different, not just more potent?
I agree whole heartedly with you-started smoking in '67, up here in Canada, we mostly got the brick Mexi as you described and the effects were as you described. We also saw a lot of hash-Afghan Moroc, Leb and Nepalese. Occasional ly we got Thai, Cambo, Columbian. My favourite was the Guerrero- it wasn't that it was more potent, it just made me feel GOOD! It has been my holy grail that I search for, but it remains elusive. The smoke today is actually too powerful ( I am a lightweight now too). When I find that special plant I'm looking for, I won't be growing anything else!
On a side note, I have a '72 Columbian Gold in flower right now that shows promise- I have smoked some of the immature pre-flowers, and much to my surprise, I got quite a nice buzz!
I also agree that the high is different ( or was different) with the old school stuff, but in those days we were much more energetic than now ( I'm 68) and that may account for how our metabolism deals with the effect. I wonder how the strains of today would have affected me if I could have smoked it when I was 20yrs old??

The most tripped out I have been in decades happened with Chellakutti from Khalifa Genetics. I laid off of it for a couple months and hit it hard with 6 fast tokes. Psychedelic for sure. The Indian lines are really old stuff, or they were until recently.

Old equals tripped out for me. Have some Guerrero x Blueberry growing now. Chimera seeds. Closest I have gotten to Acapulco Gold. When I hear Panama Red being called stony, I think you got Colombian Red. Much more red than Panama going around and dealers lie or simply do not know what they have. Panama Red is gonna make you trip.

Smoked some Colombian Gold '72 mixed with Michoacan. Got almost as high as the Chellakutti. Will mix the CG with Chellakutti at some point. The CG is rocket fuel and really adds to anything I mix it with. Might have a line on real Guerrero Gold seeds, too early to tell and can not disclose where I might be getting them. It has a reputation as being rocket fuel, along with giving a weird out of body floating sensation.

Trippy times indeed.

Smoked some Colombian Gold '72 mixed with Michoacan. Got almost as high as the Chellakutti. Will mix the CG with Chellakutti at some point. The CG is rocket fuel and really adds to anything I mix it with. Might have a line on real Guerrero Gold seeds, too early to tell and can not disclose where I might be getting them. It has a reputation as being rocket fuel, along with giving a weird out of body floating sensation.

Trippy times indeed.
What did you find the flowering time was for your CG 72? Mine is a huge monster, and has been on 11.5/12.5 for 10 weeks , and it looks about as far along as a 10 wk hybrid at week 3. No sign of any resin yet.

I flowered my CG '72 in 92 days or 13 weeks. I run lights at 9/15 so that speeds it up. I do not wait for amber resin and if a third of the pistils turn dark that is good enough. I think if you wait on these sativa lines too long the rush and magic is gone.
If you flower at 11 hours on I think it is a waste, many disagree as 9 hours is not natural. I get good results though.

Well I was the guy got only the best Columbia weed lower Brownhill weed and gold Colombian weed with real honey oil in the 70s 1977 to 1980 the one and only Marijuana kid or I was a man then put a kid at heart!!! And why did you laugh on the Colombian gold and with the honey oil you smoked a half a joint with four people and sat there for an hour do you want any more no I’m good you’re real marijuana not this chemically grown cloned crap they grow today I’m one of the few left
Just trying to get in the door. Looking for a few good reliable businesses to get some good seeds. A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Just trying to get in the door. Looking for a few good reliable businesses to get some good seeds. A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Check out New420guy seeds, he has a Santa Marta Columbian. I just finished 3 of them, they were heavy yielders, and I like the buzz, although the plants are obviously hybrids, but I doubt this was done by the seller. The plants have 2 phenos, one actually turns golden yellow in senescence, the other turns purple. Very good calyx to leaf ratio, with high resin production. The buzz is more like I remember weed in the old days, than how the new "strains" make you feel. I texted the seller to ask if he crossed it, and he said no, he had received the strain from a friend sometime around 2015.

Having said that, I would estimate the potency to be in the range of 15%, which is where I like to be these days- I'm not wanting to be incapacitated, just functional/feel good. On a side note, I did a 72 Colombian Gold from USC. Let it go for 19 weeks at chop. Not impressed. Smells and tastes like hay, even after a long cure. But I am starting to think that the nutes I have been using might be the problem, since the terps on several recent grows have been unimpressive, but huge yield, great resin production and potency.
Hope that helps, sorry for rambling!

Zomia Collective | Landrace Cannabis Seeds I have not tried their stuff yet but it seems to be legit. Underground Seed Collective, Snowhigh Seeds, Tropical Seeds, ACE seeds, Indian Landrace Exchange, Khalifa Genetics. There are others but these are good places to look into. The Landrace Team also but I have had quite a few dud seeds from them. For Mongoose2

On a side note, I did a 72 Colombian Gold from USC. fromOldguy Ok, there are good and bad phenos with that line. The landrace lines are quite variable.

Do not use a hps light, yellow is not what they grow under in their native lands. White quality LED or metal halide.

Zomia Collective | Landrace Cannabis Seeds I have not tried their stuff yet but it seems to be legit. Underground Seed Collective, Snowhigh Seeds, Tropical Seeds, ACE seeds, Indian Landrace Exchange, Khalifa Genetics. There are others but these are good places to look into. The Landrace Team also but I have had quite a few dud seeds from them. For Mongoose2

On a side note, I did a 72 Colombian Gold from USC. fromOldguy Ok, there are good and bad phenos with that line. The landrace lines are quite variable.

Do not use a hps light, yellow is not what they grow under in their native lands. White quality LED or metal halide.
Gave up on hid's a long time ago, using high quality led and solacure uvb. Cmh 4200 as a spare for veg. I would love to access something from zomia, but it seems customs has been more diligent lately, so no more imported seed for me :(

Back
Top Bottom