Good cloning system?

Sith

I'm a relatively new to growing and I want to build a system that is automatic so I don't have to water or monitor it more than maybe once or twice a day.

I've built a simple DWC system (I think it can be labeled so anyway) with two containers on top of each other, a bottom container with an air pump to oxygenate the water and a water pump to pump the water to the top container. The top container is slightly elevated on one side so the water runs from one end to the other where an outlet hole leads the water back to the bottom container. I fastened two planks to the sides to fix the plastic trays so they don't float uncontrollably, but to a certain level, so the water level is even for all the clones.

Cloning_hydro_system.JPG

I think this should work, what do you say about it so far?
I wonder if the bottom end of the clones, where I've cut them to get new roots, should be covered with water at all times, I was thinking of using rockwool cubes and let the bottom end of the clones reach out under the trays to a little bit below water level.
Or is it better to not let the clones stick out of the rockwool cubes, but instead just let the bottom of the rockwool cubes sit just below the water level so they are moist?
With either method, should I let the water run 24/7 or at timed intervals?

As I said earlier, I'm quite new to growing and at first I just rooted seeds in rockwool cubes, but I found it very demanding to keep the medium at a proper moist level at all times, it was very time consuming, almost all of the seedlings died, mostly from overwatering in the beginning. So I had to buy new seeds and start over again, something I wish to avoid in the future, having an automatic system that takes care of the clones.
I welcome any experienced growers to give input about this!

In the picture you only see seedlings, but further away in the grow room I have two plants that are in the third week of vegetative growth soon ready to take clones from, they are from the first batch of seeds I bought.
The seedlings are from the second batch I bought, out of 50 seeds about 30 have survived, not a great success rate..

ok lots to answer here.
* id say you either have an ebb and flow or a nft nutrient film technique. if the water levl is rising to submerse the medium its is more ebb and flow if it is simply running past the roots its nft. dwc or bubblers is when the roots sit in a constant submersion of water(the water is the medium)
*with some tweaking this system should work
* the rockwool will wick the water up anyway so I wouldn't have the cut ends exposed, in systems of bubblers you can leave cut ends exposed in an aerated water medium but must not be exposed to light.
* if the rockwool is being submerged I would suggest intermediate waterings perhaps 3 times daily give the medium a little time to dry out and get some oxygen if it is nft style you could offer slightly more frequent waterings as rockwool is known for being excellent at holding air as well as moisture, especially if allowed to wick as much moisture as needed.

ok general advice Ive had great success with bubble cloners, very simple fast results. Ive found with rockwool my clones go through a period of decline before taking off where as with the bubble cloner there is no wilting no dying leaves pert cuttings from cut to roots if you do it right. Its as simple as a dark tub (absolutely no light) with a lid and a pump aerating the water as much as possible simply take your cuttings split the stems a little and dangle the cut ends through the lid of the tub until the stems are an inch or so in the water leave for 2 wks or so and youll have beautiful fresh healthy rooted clones ready for whatever medium or setup you choose. You can use cloning gel or rooting solutions or all that jazz but ive had just fine results with no gel and just plain tapwater just make sure all the cuts are submerged theres no light and lots of air to the roots.
There are heaps of good articles with pics on :420: so check em out!

Ok, thanks very much for your answer, SWvoodoo!
I'm not a regular visitor to this forum, but of course I should be! I'm obviously not an expert, even though I'm not a complete newbie either! Had some good results a few years ago, growing in soil, but I didn't have as much knowledge back then either.. Haven't grown since then, started about 2 months ago again..
Seems that book knowledge haven't benefited me so much so far... I've Bought "Marijuana grow basics" by Jorge Cervantes, and "The Cannabis grow bible" by Greg Green. It has a lot to do about budget issues of course and the equipment I have from before..

The medium I use is called Root Riot and is made from organic materials, it's not rockwool... So far the oldest clones is 10 days old and no roots have developed at all.. I have opened up the cubes, so I know for sure.. So far I have let the water run 24/7 and the medium is almost totally saturated with water.. The oxygen pump let go a few days ago, but I think the water should be oxygenated enough anyway..? About 2 days ago I only water a few times per 24 hours instead. I really have to get results soon, I really should have at least a few dozens of clones rooting and ready for the bloom room very soon.. Which I obviously will not have..

I have no technical skills or budget to rebuild this system into a 100% ebb and flow or NFT system... What you see in the picture is what I have to work with.. I can't seem to get the moist level in the air above about 60%..

I would really appreciate any good input about what I could or should do to get some rooted clones within a few days now..

Next is a few pictures, updated from last, I've got some 30 mother plants now beginning to show some real growth..
The bloom room isn't finished yet but will be about 3 times bigger..
I've also taken 6 new clones today, I put them in shot glasses, only medium is water, I have to try myself what works best, I really have to get some results soon.. I've heard the best experience come from growing and making your own mistakes, only that I have to get some real results very soon from economical reasons...

Will share my results and will share from my limited experience very soon..

The medium I use is called Root Riot and is made from organic materials, it's not rockwool... So far the oldest clones is 10 days old and no roots have developed at all.. I have opened up the cubes, so I know for sure.. So far I have let the water run 24/7 and the medium is almost totally saturated with water..

That may be it. Those w/ more experience w/ Root Riots might know more, but I'd say the media was TOO wet.

Most DWC cloners I've seen suspend the stem of the clone directly into the nute solution w/o any media.

I will check it out! Thank you very much for your input!
I've been a bit selfish before, not wanting to share from my experiences, just asking questions, and mostly not even that, from fear of being tracked down.
But I think this fear is mostly unwarranted, and there are ways to surf safely, so I will definitely begin to share more what have worked best for me, because I've found that there are a lot of questions that are of a so specific nature that it's hard to get specific information without there being someone somewhere who is willing to answer them..

So thank you again! I haven't changed my setup yet, but I stopped the water from flowing 24/7 and just try to keep the medium evenly moist, it's been 10 days now, so I hope they will begin to grow some roots soon..
Will check out your setup and build it if it's not too expensive..

Will get back here with some update on my progress!
Have a nice evening everyone!

Back
Top Bottom