Got used growing equipment, help and info much appreciated!

slolatino

hello all i am new here but been lurking for months...mainly on how to grow. lol

so i have a big tent that fits about 6 plants and it's 8 ft tall :)

however, i only have a few questions before i commence my first grow ever...

i got a xtrasun 8" link : Xtrasun: Xtrasun 8" Air Cooled Reflector

ballast is sun system 1 HPS 100 watt link :
41j2ChAeMSL_SY300_.jpg

ok so...my question and what i need help on is this...the ballast first off doesn't fit directly to xtrasun 8" but i see there are adapter so i should be ok?

second... the ballast says HPS and also on the sticker....but the xtrasun 8" accepts HPS and MH bulbs..
i have both HPS and MH bulb...would i be able to use the metal halide for veg even though the ballast i have says HPS?! also...if you looked at the link of my ballast..it doesn't have any on/off button so...to make up for this...i shall use a timer to turn her off and on./..recommend a brand please and thank you :)

and the only thing i couldn't find research on was...what product to use for pesticides?
i know all indoor grow gets those mites...because my friends plants always had them no matter the precautions...however he would use some type of organic spray once a week on the plant..

what can i do to get rid of bugs once my plants get them? i lost contact with my friend so i'm not sure what the bug spray was called :(

Thank you all :D and please give me some advice!

I plan to start first week of march...i will have a journal/log :)

Hi and welcome. You can also try the frequently asked questions forum where there seems to be more activity and you might get more answers.

I have a switchable ballast that supports both HPS and MH (which is really two ballasts in one). I don't believe you can use an HPS ballast with a MH lamp. My understanding is they have different electrical outputs. Those bulbs can be dangerous if they explode so do not experiment!

For a timer, just make sure it has a 3 prong outlet like your ballast. Any timer you can find at a drug store or home depot will do unless you want something very sophisticated. It sounds like all you need is something to turn your light on an off right?

I grow indoors all the time and never had bug problems. If you think you will, you should probably bomb or otherwise get it taken care of ahead of time. Other growers will have more knowledge than me about pests.

If your ballast isn't switchable then don't switch bulbs. As far as worrying about mites/pests they hate peppermint and lavender also eucalyptus things like that I use a natural essential oil emulsified with dr bronners soap and some water and use as a foliar spray every few days switching oils every few sprays. Do that often in veg and a first week in flower and shouldn't see any mites.

if you got an old bulb with it, you need to buy a new bulb. HID bulbs decay over time and lose the color spectrum plants like.
Don't use street lights - go to a grow shop for your bulbs not a hardware store ; )

fans? Exhaust fan is a inline fan for a 600 watt to 1000 watt I would suggest a 8" inline fan. For two of those, get a 10" inline fan - I use a fan speed controller and the inline fan runs at 50%. You also need a fan to pipe in fresh air for air exchange - this can be a smaller inline fan and take a few minutes to exchange the room air. I use a 4" inline fan with a fan speed controller - low to medium speed.

Oscillating fans keep the air moving and prevents humid spots in the room or inside the plant. The air makes the plant sway and move, promoting stem growth and strength. At least 1.

temp and humidity gauges - at least 1 electric and 1 manual (always have more than 1 gauge to rely on, they can be bad) A electric gauge with remote sensor allows you to check temp and humidity away from the grow room - they are wireless - and transmit the temp and humidity to your TV room or bed room - so you can see how the room is.

If you run a clean room and get pest free clones - you don't need pesticides.

DN

Everybody will eventually get pests every now and then the best offense is a good defense. Get in the habit of a pest management routine and you don't have to worry. Ounce of prevention, pound of cure and all that.

fair warning - use it if you HAVE pest. Why use it when you do not have a pest problem?

This is for medical use - you would not be correct in giving a patient meds that have been treated or with pests. With a room properly dialed in, pest free - you should not have pest issues.. That was the whole point getting away from cartel/commercial grown 'dope'. We test meds around here for pesticides.

Sure, one day you might have to deal with pests - but it should be rare. If you get pest regularly, your room is stressin'

DN

Back
Top Bottom