Greetings Brothers and Sisters

HerbieHaze

Greetings folks,

I am pleased to be a new member of the 420 community.

I have been smoking since I was 18, and am now a sixty two year old guy living on a more fixed income.

After much research, and weighing the pros and cons of growing my own versus paying my supplier for another 20 years {hopefully}, I have decided to take the plunge into the 420 community. I am currently mustering together a small 2'x2'x5' grow tent operation. Nothing huge or too tekky. I just need enough yield to keep myself and the little lady mellow. It will be housed in a sealed cold room in my basement, which is about 15' long by 6' wide.
The tent is on order
The light source will be a Black Dog 260 model LED panel c/w 5w chipsets.
The grow medium will be soil.

I am currently trying to determine the best soil mix. I should say, I am in Western Canada and farting around outside at this time of year is not an option.

Fox Farms is highly rated, but is expensive , and not readily available here. I am looking for some no brainer stuff I can pick up at Home Depot or a garden store and mix appropriately.

For example maybe Promix mixed 50/50 with Perlite?

I will be supplementing with Fox Farms trio of nutrients.

Thanks for any insights you may have. My wife says I am obsessed.

I just want to get it right.

P.S. Haven't decided on a strain yet, but they will be feminized, as I don't have a clone setup. I want to scrog for max yield

Regards,

HerbieHaze

Thanks yuyo. I am quite excited to get going. However. I have been advised to slow down a bit and get it right. When I finally do get it together I will start my journal. Its hard to go slow watching everyone else's buds bloom.
HerbieHaze

Hi HerbieHaze!

Welcome to 420 Magazine and the community of members that gathers here.

Your right to plan before starting and keeping it simple is the best way to get started. If you have access to Promix HP that would be a great base, although I believe something like 30% perlite would be sufficient. You might also want to amend the mix with some earth worm castings, rock phosphate, a little lime, alfalfa meal, and some azomite - if its available and affordable.

In my area some of these items I had trouble finding, but stumbled into a farmers co-op one day (that I never even considered might have this stuff) and found all of it at very reasonable prices! Even if you choose not add those amendments the Promix HP is a great "can't go wrong" medium for your first grow.

Be well, happy growing and again, welcome to :420:

Thanks TanR.

Thats good to know. I do see Promix sitting next to the Perlite at my local hardware. I will pick some up next time there. Your suggestion about the farmers co-op is appreciated as well. I haven't checked them out to this point. It makes sense that they would have a lot of this stuff when you think about it.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and Happy New Year!

HerbieHaze

all good i have lots o time
planning is good stuff but...experience is where it's at :rollit:
i use this forum a ton and it is quite helpful and sometimes just plain entertaining
plus i finally have good use for my handkerchief (wiping the drool from staring at all the great plants and flowers)
absorb
take care and good luck

Hey guys. I am well into getting started with my grow. Tent and odour control installed. Just waiting on my Nirvana Bubbleicious seeds. I am checking out soil. Fox Farms is not available in my area, however, there is a product called Sea Soil which is. is anyone familiar with Sea Soil and how it performs.

Thanks,

HerbieHaze

Hi HerbieHaze,

Welcome and please be sure to check out the over 50 club (link in my signature) You will find many others that have caught the obsession on this site you will never feel alone!

Good luck and great meeting you :)

Hello Herbie and welcome to this awesome community! seek around a lot cause there are some great ideas and so much helpful advise. Sometimes growing can be overwhelming with all the products but i can assure you that in the beginning it is way easier to keep things simple and gauge an learn as you go...patience in this case is truly a virtue an you'll see that in your first few harvests.

Hello herbie. Nice screename I like that.My advice to you is if you are using fox farm nutres then you should get the foxfarm. I love it ocean forest mixed with happy frog and perlite. The reason fox farm is so expensive is because of all the added algea, different guanos,kelp,worm castings. All of these things add up but do wonders for the plants. That led is gonna be awesome 5Watt is amazing for penetration deep into the plant and will help more of your branches to grow up and be tops which is amazing and serves what you are trying to achieve. If you have anything to ask at all I am happy to help and will answer you with expedience. Just message me in my journal and I will be there. Welcome to the site and happy growing.

Thanks guys. I would love to use Fox Farms but it is unavailable here. I was waffling between Sunshine Mix number 4, and Promix BX. I think I will go with the Promix as it is available and only 25 bucks a bale.
I know I am going to have to add a few things to it. I am thinking worm castings if I can find them, and dolomite lime. The BX is supposed to be good because of beneficial fungi.
I don't want the soil mix to get too complicated as this is my first grow.
Right now I am patiently awaiting the arrival of my Bubbleicious seeds.

Thanks, and cheers!

HerbieHaze

Back
Top Bottom