Guesstimator's New "Tent" - Commercial Freezer Mod - 600w HPS +

Guesstimator

Hey guys, I have my journal link below, but I have not been able to update nearly as often as I'd have liked.

This is my lame attempt at being clever. I was able to get this, very clean and (well, it was) fully functioning commercial grade freezer for free (score!) and I got an idea. I'd been wanting a new, more clean looking, more fireproof, safer and in-general better grow tent. So I took it home and spent 20+ hours this weekend (and under $100 by reusing items from the old tent!) and got to work. I removed all the cooling apparatus (in one piece, and I can put it all back if I ever need to) and gutted it back to a more plain cabinet. I then used many things, such as eye bolts and the like to create attachment points. I used just about every tool in the garage to cut thru the double layers of metal (galvanized steel, stainless steel and aluminum construction throughout, high density foam sandwiched between) and got all the holes needed to run the ducting (twice actually, I screwed up the first duct layout, the last pictures below show the current and correct design).

Where the blower motor was, and the condenser was I have now installed the 6" duct fan. This keeps it within the (obviously very well insulated) cabinet and keeps sound down, but the top cover is removable for service. And now if people see it and hear it running they obviously think the freezer is just running. Stealthy. :thumb:

I have to purchase new lock cylinders and keys for the doors, as I didn't get keys with this freezer, but it being lockable would be a massive plus IMO. That should prove to be cheap and easy, I hope.

Please feel free to let me know what you think and any comments. The holes in the bottom will have (if I get the energy, I'm sore and tired! lol) screen material put underneath the holes to keep the bugs out and these holes function as intakes as well as drainage for watering with a short, long and wide bucket under the whole shebang. And if I get a little extra energy I will make a "light trap" for the intake/drain holes. Again, OMG I'm old and sore. lol

I still have LOTS of tweaking and playing around to do (lighting placement, fan placement, adding the LED's or not, etc...), but I think this is more or less the setup for the balance of this grow at least.

(Oh, and btw, the Skywalker took massive damage early in life and went ballistic growing tall, all three are in week 6 now and, for being my second real grow I couldn't be happier!!!!)

So, whatchya think folks?

20140629_113606.jpg

20140627_182058.jpg

20140628_150854.jpg

20140628_150842.jpg

20140629_110541.jpg

20140629_110531.jpg

20140629_113617.jpg

Love to all. :circle-of-love:

Looks like a great set-up, Guesstimator! I do like the concept and stealthiness of using freezers or refrigerators as cabinets as long as heat retention isn't an issue. Your freezer was a great find but I've read how difficult it is to cut ventilation holes through the case. There are other freezer growers here on 420 and the approach does seem almost ideal. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom