Heating Mat For Root Warmth?

felis

420 Member
Guys,
In the effort to try to keep the 3 gallon / coco roots warm during "lights off", I'm wanting to use some 10" x 20" seedling heating mats to provide *enough* heat to keep the roots warm and growing.

During "lights on", temps are perfect. It's when the lights are off that the tent temps go down to less than 15 deg C.
No.......I don't wish to heat the entire room and ambient air, with a space heater, or heat the inside of the tent with a space heater.

So back to the heating mats.......
I have two options as to where to place the heating mats.

1] Under each grow bag.....in the hopes that enough heats gets absorbed "up" into the root zone. A possible negative with placement here is that having the mat in direct contact with the bag bottom, water run off may be inhibited. [ I currently have each bag sitting on raised drain screens ].

2] Wrap the heating mat around the outside of the 3 gallon bag. This would allow heat to radiate, with contact, to the side of the bag / roots. The positive......the bags can still drain freely whilst on the drain screens. The negative........the heating mat may inhibit air-flow through the sides of the bag.

Hummmm.
Anyone done this?
Do you think there will be more heat transfer and retained heat, with the side of the bag wrapped with the mat?
Will wrapping the bag interfere with the drain to waste / air movement, enough to matter?

Which method would be "better"?

I would think around the side would create and retain the most heat. But agree airflow would be inhibited to a degree.
This sounds like one of those times trial and error or a side by side comparison would be your best answer.
Because 90% of us would recommend heating up the entire area for ALL of the plant.
Do you have 2 mats and 2 plants you can test together?

Yes, 4 plants and 4 heating mats.
Yes....more, as in all of the heating mat would be in contact with cloth if wrapped on the side, and thus more available heat, in theory.

I'm not really looking for a side to side comparison experiment, but rather to accomplishing the goal right now......keeping the roots at happy temps and still having good air flow and unimpeded fertigate run off.

Hoping that others have pondered this, or done this.

Back
Top Bottom