Hello from SoCal

HigherDrifter

Hey people,

How's it going?

Been smokin, eatin, even drinkin, the herb (off and on) for 20+ years, I reckon.

Finally able to get doctor's support for use about a year and half ago.

Had my first minimally successful grow and harvest last year. No problems till a dang butterfly/moth(?) laid a grip of eggs in my buds. Damn larvae ruined better than half of my crop (6 plants). I didn't mind sharing my buds with the bugs, but I didn't much care for all the poop they left behind.

I have no idea what specific "brand" or strain these plants were (are - since I'm growing them again this year). I bummed some seeds from a fellow toker and all he told me was that the seeds were the result of some Sativa/Indica crossing experiments he did a couple of years back up in Oregon. The plants have predominantly Indica growth (vegging and budding) characteristics, although half of the 6 plants I had last year got very "TALL" (at least 9 foot) for an Indica (tall as in total length of the plant - I bent and tied them). Fan leaves (are) were pretty effin huge with up to 15 fingers (yes...15). At best they could have been 50/50(?). The plants were very stinky, perfumy, with a good touch of skunky mixed in with it. Good cerebral amenities - much better than I anticipated - and average(?) "body weight" for a good split or slightly predominant Indica.

Next year, I'll be growing predominant Sativas (hopefully...if I can get some good seeds). The plants I have grown (and growing this year) are still a bit too body and narcotic for my needs. Sativas were my preference before I got legit.

Right now, my plants are doing fine. Seeds were sown the first week of May in individual peat-pots. Due to abnormally cold temps in this area the seeds took 3 weeks to germinate. Seedlings were put in the ground last day of May (31st) - so it's been 52 days. The tallest plants are chest high now (I'm 6'4") so that puts them close to 5 foot tall, very fat and bushy, stinky, with 11, 13, and 15 (yes...15 again) fingered fan leaves. No fertilizers are being used. Soil's been conditioned (tilled with LOTS of rich compost) and then top-covered with another 3~4 inches of mulch. I am anticipating sex to start showing about the last week of August (just like last year) or, maybe the first or second week of September due to the significant difference in the weather (colder and more cloud cover).

Reckon that's all I gots to say for now.

Catch yall later.

Take care.

Welcome to 420, good to have another SoCal grower in the midst. There are a ton of great dispensaries in the area that you could get some clones from, then you aren't worried about the sexing issue. Some great sativa dominant strains that you may want to check out (Jack Herer comes to mind).

Howdy all...

Wow that's a pretty tall plant or should I say tree lol. Really looking forward to seeing a pic of it if you decide to upload it.

I'm not seeing the same behavior and characteristics this year. Doesn't look like any of these are going to get as big and tall like last year's crop.

There are a ton of great dispensaries in the area that you could get some clones from, then you aren't worried about the sexing issue. Some great sativa dominant strains that you may want to check out (Jack Herer comes to mind).

Yeah...I'm in Riverside, CA and there are quite a few dispensaries here. I'm not interested in clones, hybrids or any of this high-tech stuff when it comes down to growing stuff. I'm looking for a stable, non-hybrid (heirloom...if possible) strains that I can maintain my own seeds with.

I'm a hard-core nature-freak, DIY kinda person and prefer low-tech (even no-tech) methods of doing things. Yeah...I know it sounds a bit ironic since I am using some high-tech (computers) to communicate with people over the internet :)

Yeah...I've heard about the Jack Herer Hazey strain, but if I'm not mistaken it does have some hybrid crossings in it's make up (please correct me if I'm wrong), so the plants derived from any of of it's seed will, more than likely, not breed true to the parents.

P.S.

Forgive the rants if you have the need to read my stuff on my YT Channel page. I'm not always such an misanthropic asshole.

Hey Doc...

What kinda nutrients are you using?

Actually, I'm not using anything specific, like anything you find at a nursery or wherever...

I've got a shredder for grinding up different kinds of plant debris (grass clippings, weeds, bush and tree trimmings, etc.,) and the resulting mulch goes into the compost/mulch pit. Plus, I've got a tumbler where all the egg shells, veggie trimmings from the kitchen, etc., go, and once the stuff in the tumbler has decomp'd enough it gets ran through the shredder and thrown into the pit. I quickly mentioned the pit in the video. I reckon you missed it. It's an old outdoor concrete fish pond, bordered by chunks of broken concrete. It get's replenished with new stuff (shredded plant debris and green manure) from time to time so there' always lots of compost and mulch available. Occasional watering down of the pit helps much of the good black and rich compost to trickle down to the bottom and that's what I use (along with a roto-tiller) to condition the soil with.

Some people might think it's too much hard work, but, it's really not that bad, which is fine with me cuz I HATE hard work. Much of the work is done by the shredder, the water, some time, and just nature doing it's own thing of breaking everything down.

Another thing that I'm going to do in the near future is to plant some early fall and winter Compost/Cover/green manure crops with leguminous types of plants (alfalfa, beans, peas, clover, etc.,) which help fix nitrogen in the soil naturally.

Yeah. I know. A long-winded response for such a short question :)

Hey people,

How's it going?

Been smokin, eatin, even drinkin, the herb (off and on) for 20+ years, I reckon.

Finally able to get doctor's support for use about a year and half ago.

Had my first minimally successful grow and harvest last year. No problems till a dang butterfly/moth(?) laid a grip of eggs in my buds. Damn larvae ruined better than half of my crop (6 plants). I didn't mind sharing my buds with the bugs, but I didn't much care for all the poop they left behind.

I have no idea what specific "brand" or strain these plants were (are - since I'm growing them again this year). I bummed some seeds from a fellow toker and all he told me was that the seeds were the result of some Sativa/Indica crossing experiments he did a couple of years back up in Oregon. The plants have predominantly Indica growth (vegging and budding) characteristics, although half of the 6 plants I had last year got very "TALL" (at least 9 foot) for an Indica (tall as in total length of the plant - I bent and tied them). Fan leaves (are) were pretty effin huge with up to 15 fingers (yes...15). At best they could have been 50/50(?). The plants were very stinky, perfumy, with a good touch of skunky mixed in with it. Good cerebral amenities - much better than I anticipated - and average(?) "body weight" for a good split or slightly predominant Indica.

Next year, I'll be growing predominant Sativas (hopefully...if I can get some good seeds). The plants I have grown (and growing this year) are still a bit too body and narcotic for my needs. Sativas were my preference before I got legit.

Right now, my plants are doing fine. Seeds were sown the first week of May in individual peat-pots. Due to abnormally cold temps in this area the seeds took 3 weeks to germinate. Seedlings were put in the ground last day of May (31st) - so it's been 52 days. The tallest plants are chest high now (I'm 6'4") so that puts them close to 5 foot tall, very fat and bushy, stinky, with 11, 13, and 15 (yes...15 again) fingered fan leaves. No fertilizers are being used. Soil's been conditioned (tilled with LOTS of rich compost) and then top-covered with another 3~4 inches of mulch. I am anticipating sex to start showing about the last week of August (just like last year) or, maybe the first or second week of September due to the significant difference in the weather (colder and more cloud cover).

Reckon that's all I gots to say for now.

Catch yall later.

Take care.
Hey fellow SoCal....

I’ve been frustrated with the first ten days of my seedlings with this shitty April weather. My girls popped fast and got a bit leggy so I gently introduced them to the patio and some grey sky. The stems are stiff but I haven’t seen a second set of leaves start yet. I was going to mist them today as they are dry on the surface. Ant advice from a fellow SoCal?

Hey fellow SoCal....

I’ve been frustrated with the first ten days of my seedlings with this shitty April weather. My girls popped fast and got a bit leggy so I gently introduced them to the patio and some grey sky. The stems are stiff but I haven’t seen a second set of leaves start yet. I was going to mist them today as they are dry on the surface. Ant advice from a fellow SoCal?
You're going to be more frustrated when you find out he hasn't been here since 2011 :passitleft:

And at 10 days I'm starting mine with some Fox Farms Big Bloom, basically it's just a bat guano and worm-casting tea, and at 2 weeks I'm going half strength nutrients :thumb: :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom