Help diagnose my sickly veg plants please!

meyoutoo

420 Member
Veg plants roughly 4 weeks in are heavily stunted. At this stage they should be roughly twice the size they currently are. But for some mysterious reason they are very unhappy veg plants. Im running 18/6 light schedule in coco coir generally aim for 10-15% run off. Have recently discovered there are spider mites too but almost certain they aren't the culprit.
Running 3 different strains - Colour of Space, Lavender and blueberry.

light stress?? i'm running 200w LED in a 2.6ft x 2.6ft tent (80cmx80cm). The lights are roughly 30inches away. Plenty of space between lights and plants - i would be surprised if it was that

Environmental?? Temp is a steady 25 degrees Celsius/77 F with humidity around the 60%

Equipment?? Bluelab PH pen and EC reader are both brand new so I don't believe im getting faulty readings

Lock out?? EC levels are 1.6 ~800 PPM (hannah) with PH around 5.8. Run off levels are reading as you would expect

Could someone smarter than myself please help me out lol am running out of ideas as to what the issue could be. Im wondering if it may be a definciency perhaps, but not really sure.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

IMG_1344.jpeg

IMG_1345.jpeg

IMG_1346.jpeg

Veg plants roughly 4 weeks in are heavily stunted. At this stage they should be roughly twice the size they currently are. But for some mysterious reason they are very unhappy veg plants. Im running 18/6 light schedule in coco coir generally aim for 10-15% run off. Have recently discovered there are spider mites too but almost certain they aren't the culprit.
Running 3 different strains - Colour of Space, Lavender and blueberry.

light stress?? i'm running 200w LED in a 2.6ft x 2.6ft tent (80cmx80cm). The lights are roughly 30inches away. Plenty of space between lights and plants - i would be surprised if it was that

Environmental?? Temp is a steady 25 degrees Celsius/77 F with humidity around the 60%

Equipment?? Bluelab PH pen and EC reader are both brand new so I don't believe im getting faulty readings

Lock out?? EC levels are 1.6 ~800 PPM (hannah) with PH around 5.8. Run off levels are reading as you would expect

Could someone smarter than myself please help me out lol am running out of ideas as to what the issue could be. Im wondering if it may be a definciency perhaps, but not really sure.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

IMG_1344.jpeg

IMG_1345.jpeg

IMG_1346.jpeg
Welcome to 420Magazine my friend. :welcome:
Sorry about your issues.
First - you need to put calmag in your plain water first, every time. :Namaste:
Coco draws it from the girls.
It also helps with nutrient uptake.
Feed every day full strength nutrients according to your schedule, exactly and they will improve.
Keep it at 5.8 thats perfect.
Never any water and never let your coco get dry.
Second - do you have access to SNS spidermite control?
It works well for them.
You must get them out of your room before flower, its vital.
Find something and right on them.
I'm always around if you have more questions.
But get calmag.
Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Welcome to the group.

Seems like you have a basic hydroponic grow going on. There are a lot of people here who grow with coco coir and with a bit of time they will stop by and take a look. Some of them will recognize what is happening and will be able to give some suggestions on what to do.

I grow in a mineral or natural soil with compost and dirt but over the years I have followed some of the hydro growers and there are several basics that can be considered.

....running out of ideas as to what the issue could be. Im wondering if it may be a definciency perhaps, but not really sure.
It looks like several deficiencies happening at the same time. What fertilizers are you using? If you let us know that info then if someone uses the same brand, etc they might have suggestions. And, how often do you apply them and what is the dose/amounts that you use each time?

Temp is a steady 25 degrees Celsius/77 F
The temperature is OK but you might have better growing plants if it is increased during the daytime or lights on times.

Have recently discovered there are spider mites too but almost certain they aren't the culprit.
They might not be the culprit but there is a good chance that they are a minor contributor to the problems. Pest insects tend to go to weak plants to feed. In this case the Mites will be eating holes in the leaves and sucking the sap from them. Eventually they are taking so much that it starts to weaken the plant even more.

At this time it does not look like a lost cause. With a bit of help from other coco coir gardeners I am pretty sure that your plants can recover. Like @Bill284 mentions your pH of 5.8 is spot on. If you have any questions on the tips he provided in his message just ask and he can explain.

borg = burn.
To much hassle if you ask me.
IF you got more seeds with bills advice for coco grows your be back at this stage in 3/4 weeks.
Going to take that long to TRY beat the borg and most people never win the war just manage it.
I dont like pop and crackle in my bud.
Sorry about the issues just MY 10 cent :)

Have you checked your pH/EC meters have been calibrated?
They are only a couple of months old and were calibrated when i first got them. Might be worth re-calibrating however.
Sorry about your issues.
Feed every day full strength nutrients according to your schedule, exactly and they will improve.
It works well for them.
But get calmag.
Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Hi Bill,
Sorry about your issues.
It works well for them.
But get calmag.
Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Ayo bill!

I've implemented Calmag so fingers crossed things turn around quickly. I have been feeding every other day as the girls haven't been very thirsty. As for those pesky spiders i have spread predator mites in the tent so that will see to them.

Many thanks

Welcome to the group.

Seems like you have a basic hydroponic grow going on. There are a lot of people here who grow with coco coir and with a bit of time they will stop by and take a look. Some of them will recognize what is happening and will be able to give some suggestions on what to do.

I grow in a mineral or natural soil with compost and dirt but over the years I have followed some of the hydro growers and there are several basics that can be considered.

It looks like several deficiencies happening at the same time. What fertilizers are you using? If you let us know that info then if someone uses the same brand, etc they might have suggestions. And, how often do you apply them and what is the dose/amounts that you use each time?

The temperature is OK but you might have better growing plants if it is increased during the daytime or lights on times.

They might not be the culprit but there is a good chance that they are a minor contributor to the problems. Pest insects tend to go to weak plants to feed. In this case the Mites will be eating holes in the leaves and sucking the sap from them. Eventually they are taking so much that it starts to weaken the plant even more.

At this time it does not look like a lost cause. With a bit of help from other coco coir gardeners I am pretty sure that your plants can recover. Like @Bill284 mentions your pH of 5.8 is spot on. If you have any questions on the tips he provided in his message just ask and he can explain.
Thank you! :cool:

I am using Canna coco nutrients range. Currently A and B without any other supplemental nutes.

Would you suggest somewhere closer to 26/27 degrees celcius?

Keep your coco moist daily. :thumb:
Anything to get rid of mites yet?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Increase feeding frequency, raise pH and lower EC on the input feed. Done!

You're treating a hydro grown plant like a soil grown plant causing you problems. Coir should constantly stay wet to stay within target EC and pH range. If you let coir dry out between waterings you will create nutrient lockouts by raising EC to toxic levels and letting pH crash as a result.

Canna Coco A+B is probably the easiest nutrient line to get great results in coir. It's manufacturered to be used with tap water and very pH stable. You only need the base A+B to get great results. "Calmag" is in no way needed with a formula specifically made for coir, it already has it included in the base. Adding more is only detrimental for growth.

I have pristine growth in hydro(coco coir) between 24C and 29C above that and you're starting to run in to heat related problems. Normally temps stays between 24-27 with lights on, higher temps is more important with organics with no real means of adjusting pH on the input. I feed about 300ppm / 0.6 EC max in veg and often land below 1.0 EC max in flower but that's also from feeding 6 times a day. More feedings equals more stable EC and pH in the medium and higher rates of growth.

Hope that helps! Cheers!

No calmag with canna as wastei says I am growing with a neighbour using canna and leds I only go to 1.4ec during flower with autos 1.6ec with photoperiods. When I grow I feed once a day in flower and still get good results. my coco stays wet from one feed if u let it dry you will get salt build up and it will raise your ec heres my last grow one feed a day these was autos
Ice Auto Gorilla Cookies Auto - Copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom