Wastei

New year new Journal!

I said I was gonna grow Lebanese crosses but here I am sprouting Bruce Banner #3 seeds. Sprouting 8 seeds and only keeping one or two keepers. Everything get tagged and cloned before flower.

Seeds are from Nirvana Seeds. They had the best deals when I laid my order. 1+1 pack on all of the seeds. That double up! I've been missing some potent and tasty diesly sativa dominant and I believe Bruce banner to be just that. All of the seeds are very sativa looking and sprouted well.

I started by removing all old plants and mixing 800ppm bleach solution and used my pressure sprayer to mist down the ceiling, walls and fans. Sprayed everything down and left it for 15 minutes then back to wipe everything off. It's a cheap ass 3x3.
IMG_20240203_180551318.jpg

Then I prepeared some seedling mix. I already had treated and buffered coir but it had been laying for months in the elements so I measured up 8 cups and nuked it in the microwave for 10 minutes to kill of any gnat larvae or nasties:
IMG_20240203_164836760_HDR.jpg

I've always used the paper towel method to sort out duds early on and all was above soil in 8-16 hours after planting.
IMG_20240203_195432352_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240203_202445938.jpg
IMG_20240203_202457150.jpg
IMG_20240203_202504069.jpg
IMG_20240204_113407385.jpg
IMG_20240204_113403361_HDR.jpg

Vegging under Philzon 100w LED, plenty for early veg with some local noname NPK 3-1-7, Calcium nitrate, Epsom salt, potassium silicate, Humic/Kelp mix 5:2.

I'm building a new irrigation system and I've ordered 10x diaphragm pumps, the same ones that used to be in the Growtek systems that are no longer around. I still want a 3D printer so I can print out their feed drip rings that I really like.

Let's see how they do! Feel free to ask any questions, comment or just follow along!

All the best!
/W

My BB went nuts last year - interested to see if you can tame the beast in there

:popcorn:
Hey Roy and thanks for following along!

I have 8 potential different phenos if all of them survive and I will only keep one or two. I've seen a lot of variation so I know have a lot of work in front of me! But I never really heard a bad thing about BB so I had to see what all the fuzz is about.

Cheers!

I'd love to follow along if you don't mind.
Why the ten diaphragm pumps? Is the explanation in one of your other journals?
8 individual pumps, 2 as extra. One line per pump and plant make it very precise. Why diaphragm is because they can both suck air and water and you don't have to worry about "bleeding" the system and back draw going back to the reservoir.

Normally I only run 4 cuttings max at a time per cycle and that leaves me 4 pumps and 6 extra spares when they stop working. They have guaranteed 2500h running hours and they're not running long per feeding cycle.

I will probably build modules of 4 pumps per module connecting to a simple parallell board and using a regular digital second timer or Arduino for adjusting feed times.
s-l1200.jpg

Is the diaphragm the normal point of failure? Can you replace them with teflon or viton?
I understand the use of the pump as a "check valve / backflow preventer".
Is there a more detailed view of your system in one of your other journals?
Wow, I haven't seen "Arduino" for quite some time. Very dependable.

Is the diaphragm the normal point of failure? Can you replace them with teflon or viton?
I understand the use of the pump as a "check valve / backflow preventer".
Is there a more detailed view of your system in one of your other journals?
Wow, I haven't seen "Arduino" for quite some time. Very dependable.
All pumps eventually fail. These are cheaper to replace than repair and have a very good spec sheet for its price and size and there's a reason they're being used in other very expensive branded systems and aquariums. Viton and Teflon pumps are way less precise and safe in operation compare to diapraghm pumps with lag and potential of going dry.

You don't need much more info than it's top fed and I eventually end up feeding 7 times a day during flower til runoff. Arduino is a basic controller and are awesome to use to build simple modules and timers. I've yet to have one fail on me and that's after running many cycles in Aero.

Viton and Teflon pumps are way less precise and safe in operation compare to diapraghm pumps with lag and potential of going dry.
I was referring to diaphragm material. I've used a lot of small to large diaphragm pumps and found different materials to be more durable. It sounds like you get your money's worth so you should be set for a while with ten pumps.

The top feed explains the need for an individual pump per plant. Thanks

IMG_20240207_191252887.jpg
IMG_20240207_191301757.jpg
IMG_20240207_191306393.jpg

2-3 days above ground. Not much going on. I mist along the edges two times a day with a pressure spray bottle to keep them in the "Goldilock" zone, not to moist, not to wet to prevent spiking EC by drying out or drowning them in a saturated medium.

I lift them to know when and who to spray. I never let the surface dry out or loose from the edges of the pot.

I'll be growing my first seedling in coco in the next week, a Bruce Banner auto. I love the spraying tip above to keep them moist when seedlings. What are you spraying them with?

I'll be growing my first seedling in coco in the next week, a Bruce Banner auto. I love the spraying tip above to keep them moist when seedlings. What are you spraying them with?
It's very light. I measure up potassium silicate to 0.2 EC from 0.1 EC on my base water. I mixed some base months ago with some local plant food with NPK 3-1-7, it's pretty decent stuff but a little bit to much urea for my liking so I added some Calcium nitrate to better the ratio of nitrate: ammonium nitrate. Then some Epsom salt to get the right Calcium: Magnesium ratio. To make long story short I added 0.2 EC of that to make it 0.4 EC total.

Then I add some Humic/kelp mix til it looks like Coca Cola in colour.

Then I pH down to 6.0-6.5 and add a few drops of bleach. I keep it in the pressure spray bottle since I'm lazy lol.

IMG_20240207_191252887.jpg
IMG_20240207_191301757.jpg
IMG_20240207_191306393.jpg

2-3 days above ground. Not much going on. I mist along the edges two times a day with a pressure spray bottle to keep them in the "Goldilock" zone, not to moist, not to wet to prevent spiking EC by drying out or drowning them in a saturated medium.

I lift them to know when and who to spray. I never let the surface dry out or loose from the edges of the pot.
You are on the way very nice. 🍋

IMG_20240208_173501739.jpg
IMG_20240208_173406277_1.jpg
@LKABudMan this is where I spray, along the outer area. They have started to drink a little bit more, they grow more roots than foliage at this point.
IMG_20240208_173508800.jpg

Happy little fuckers being sprayed two times a day. Tiny amounts two times a day and increase volume as the plant grows. This is Coco coir hydro mentality, teaching the plant to receive as many feeding as possible while at the same time staying within optimal ranges for input and output EC pH values. More feeding means a more stable rootzone and higher rate of water and nutrient uptake.

All of the seed shells are finally of. I know most people don't spend much time keeping a journal at this stage ut in my eyes it's the most critical and easiest thing to fail at starting out.

I've battled wilt/damp off for months back in the day and by simply keeping a light fan breeze blowing across the surface of the medium sorts most of the problems. Stagnant air is your enemy growing from seed and many fail by using domes and by overly misting their seedling.

Cheers!
/W

Back
Top Bottom