Bruce Banner Marries A Watermelon - SIP Grow

But I'm guessing you're a human!

Plants tell you when the pH is too high (or low), and then when you test the medium and find that it is, it confirms what the plant is telling you. Most folks don't test the pH of their substrate unless there is an issue with the plant.

Also, what's in it for the manufacturer to lie about the best pH range for their product? Don't they want folks to have success with it?
They're not lying about their pH ranges? Did you read my earlier post about ProMix being marketed towards a wide range of industries, not only Cannabis? The pH range make sense to me if you compare different crops ideal pH ranges.

They're not lying about their pH ranges? Did you read my earlier post about ProMix being marketed towards a wide range of industries, not only Cannabis? The pH range make sense to me if you compare different crops ideal pH ranges.
ProMix knows their product is used for a large number of cannabis grows and they saw a huge increase in sales when the pandemic hit and folks started growing their own.

The science outlined in the video explains the why on the pH.

Day 50 and day 12 of flower

Still looking better, though still not the shade of green I would like to see. I have ordered some sulfur and will amend the ProMix with some, very slow and steady until I get to 5.8 and see if that helps with the uptake a bit.

I think that the watermelon is done with the stretch. The distance between nodes is a little larger than I was hoping for.

Banner looks to be almost done with stretch and the WG I think is just getting started.

I am noticing some red/purple stems popping into the watermelon and the banner. I know that the watermelon can do that but I need to look into the banner and see if that’s not something else going on?

Some folks say that red stems is a sign of Mg deficiency, but every time I've ever had them it was genetic. I always wait for signs on the leaves rather than the stems for confirmation.
I seem to remember reading this somewhere that’s why had brought it up.

I can’t find any images or info on the banner going purple like that though. Will keep an eye on that.

Day 50 and day 12 of flower

Still looking better, though still not the shade of green I would like to see. I have ordered some sulfur and will amend the ProMix with some, very slow and steady until I get to 5.8 and see if that helps with the uptake a bit.

I think that the watermelon is done with the stretch. The distance between nodes is a little larger than I was hoping for.

Banner looks to be almost done with stretch and the WG I think is just getting started.

I am noticing some red/purple stems popping into the watermelon and the banner. I know that the watermelon can do that but I need to look into the banner and see if that’s not something else going on?

Mg deficiency is most often a sign of low pH. Some phenotypes like slightly higher pH than others and Mg is way more bio-available at pH 6.3-6.5 compared to 5.8. Mg is even more bio-available above pH 6.5.

I think you're better of following what's common practice and recommendations for soil/soilless 6.0-6.5 instead of hydro 5.5-6.3.

That's what I do when I see a Mg related deficiency, I start by raising pH since there should be plenty of Mg in a complete plant food. I'm afraid adding sulfur and lowering pH will only worsen your problems.

Just to be clear, no one suggested he had a magnesium deficiency or add any.
He does if you look at the growth and shade of leaves? I'm only trying to help OP sort the problems he's experiencing.. I thought you wrote in earlier post that he should try to add sulfur to lower pH? That's the other way around to sort the problems he's experiencing.

He does if you look at the growth and shade of leaves? I'm only trying to help OP sort the problems he's experiencing.. I thought you wrote in earlier post that he should try to add sulfur to lower pH? That's the other way around to sort the problems he's experiencing.
I said if he wanted to lower the pH he should add sulfur. I don't tell people what to do, just possible ways to get to where they want to go.

I think you're better of following what's common practice and recommendations for soil/soilless 6.0-6.5 instead of hydro 5.5-6.3.
You might be right. I am new to the game so I definitely don’t know and can really only go on the experience from growers like yourself and Shed, which I really appreciate! Then I can take that information and apply it to my grow. The great thing about this is that I have 2 people giving me different advice, so if one doesn’t work then I can go the other direction. The only way I will know for certain is to try one and go from there. Worst case scenario it kills them off, bummer and lesson learned.

I am planning on slow rolling the sulfur, so hopefully I am able to see if it makes it better or worse before any real damage is done.

Day 51 and day 13 of flower

I have not noticed much of a change in coloring between yesterday and today. And I am seeing purple stems now in the WG as well.

I will likely have to reconfigure the exhaust fan location as I’m about out of room to raise the lights anymore and I think that will need to happen this weekend most likely.

We have snowpocalypse upon us here this weekend and into next week so I should have time to get it done.

Not much else to report.

Day 52 and day 14 of flower

I think I am starting to go in the wrong direction again as far as color goes if I compare todays WG picture to day 50’s there is noticeable yellowing and shade of green difference.

Sulfur was delayed but is out for delivery today so I can get it started tomorrow.

They are still growing and flower sites are getting bigger so that’s a good sign.

I am going to finish up my new log tonight and will start tracking growth along with a bunch of other stuff tomorrow.

I also think that I am going to get rid of my current intake fan for another of these ACI cloudline fans so that I can maintain a negative air pressure in the tent and increase both of the for VPD control.

That’s about for now. Sooooo glad it’s Friday!

Time to roll one up and listen to some good tunes to get the weekend started right!

Have you tried dialing back the light?
Sulfur is hard to undo once applied.

I've been using MC for years. When my plants are too light green I either bump up the MC or lower the lights depending upon how power they are using.

You were at 6gr/gallon which is pretty high for plants. My five foot tall plants are just getting 5gr/gallon.

I think you are just slightly out of balance between light and how much you are feeding.

I don't think it's a pH problem but can't be certain since I'm not there. ProMix is buffered and you water seems to be
within acceptable parameters for the ProMix to buffer.

Have you tried a slurry test?

Have you tried dialing back the light?
I did actually I lowered the power from 100% to 75% and raised them to get to

PPFD average: 751
DLI: 32.44
Have you tried a slurry test?
I did both unused out of the opened bale and then out of of of my sips.

Brand new slurried at 5.9 and out of the SIP it slurries at 6.3.

So the thought process was to sulfur them to 5.8

Back
Top Bottom