My 2023 Perpetual Grow - Organic, Partial SIP

Whoo! Its been a good week, the Fruity OG Kush plant is 6 weeks old now and finally into the stage of just growing buds. This means all the work is done: there's not much more if any defoliation, training etc, to do just watering until she finishes. I've been feeding just over 5L approximately every 2 days or so, top watering about 700mL for every 2L in the tube of the SIP. The very first red hairs (stigmas) have appeared finally, so I'll predict 12-13 weeks of flowering on this plant, meaning she is only halfway through flowering. So far there is very little smell but lots of crystals on the sugar leaves & buds. The VPD range is currently a bit humid at night and pretty dry during the day, so I am hoping these techniques produce small enough buds that the humidity is not a problem. There are over 70 tops, so the buds should remain relatively small. I might need to do more lower defoliation just to keep the airflow going. Many of the lower leaves are self-defoliating anyway. Will see.

Finally, a plant that really uses a lot of water and relies heavily on the SIP to do its thing!
:bong:
SIP ftw!

Ok, another week another update!

I dropped another OG Kush seed (seed #15) the other day, and will be prepping the soil this weekend. I plan to let this one veg quite a while, but will need to see how the humidity & temperature range is before putting into flower. As mentioned previously, the humidity in my area is a bit high for late flowering. I chose this seed because I'm running low on OG-Kush, since it was the top choice for giving away and smoking.

The Fruity OG-Kush seed #1 is coming along nicely, but still not much if any smell to it. I expected a fruity kind of smell, but this is more reminiscent of a stock OG Kush plant so far. Either way, lots of crystals on the sugar leaves which usually means good things, and the bud growth is coming along nicely. Did a slight bit of training to lower to highest buds in the middle area over the past week as well. The lowest leaves continue to yellow up and drop off, and it seems to be taking up less water now too. In the close up shot, you can see the purpling starting to come in now, just like it should in these conditions with the stock OG Kush.

Smoke Report:
The Wedding Cake seed #1 has finished drying and has a bit of a cure to it now, so I sampled some. It is very nice! Fully drying it before putting into jars seems to have helped preserve the terps quite a bit, so I'm pretty happy with the smell and flavor. It is pretty strong as well, has a nice kick, and not too harsh for fresh cannabis.

:rollit:

Starting off this week we have the OG Kush seed #15 after 4 days out of soil and getting off to a good start. So far this is my favorite self-grown strain, with low scent, high highs and medium to high yields. Expecting a lot here hehehe. I'm starting off again directly in the SIP bucket, so am keeping the bucket empty and the top of the soil moist for the first while. Once the plant is established after maybe 3-4 weeks, the SIP will be topped up all the way. Quad-lining, defoliation, SIP and droughting techniques will all be used in this organic soil grow to improve yield and potency.

Next we have the Fruity OG Kush, at 103 days growth, day 56 of flower which is coming along reminiscent of the stock OG-Kush but it seems a bit more vigorous in regular growth. I seem to have some deficiency or something, which I suspect is due to overwatering, since I have been top-watering as well as through the SIP tube. The edges of many leaves are brown, with some uneven yellowing already starting to happen. The newer leaves are nicely going purple. I suspect its also a symptom of the plant getting older, so I have been watering only every 3 or 4 days and only through the SIP tube with slightly less nutrients than usual. I raised the light higher than normal as well. She is only using about 1L of water a day too, so metabolism definitely slowing down. Hoping for the best here. Any suggestions or tips in this regard are definitely welcome.

:volcano-smiley:

I just got a new microscope, so thought I would play around with it a bit. Here are some samples:

OG Kush seed #14 @ just over 5 months cure:

Wedding Cake seed #1 @ around 3 weeks cure:

I'm still finishing off the OG Kush #14, but it will be gone soon :( The Wedding Cake is pretty good though, so that should sustain me until the new batch of OG Kush comes through.

Surprise surprise, another Saturday update!

This week we have two nice plants going, first up is the OG Kush seed #15 after 11 full days of growth. I'm getting ready to top her in preparation for quad-lining, but I might let this one grow a bit taller than usual before topping. So far I've just been lightly watering every couple days or so in order to keep the top of the soil relatively moist. The SIP will come into play once the plant has grown into the bucket.

Next up is the Fruity OG Kush seed #1 on Day 111growth/Day63 of flower. Over the past week she really dropped a lot of leaves. I might have inadvertently droughted her by stopping top-watering plus really letting the SIP go low or dry before feeding, but haven't been paying a lot of attention to her. I'm really wondering how much longer flowering will go because the leaves are dropping so quickly, but not many red hairs showing. This one probably needed more nitrogen, but its kind of too late to add it now. There is some N in the flowering feed, so that should have been enough to get her through to the end, but we will see how this one progresses as I pay more attention to watering.

:yummy:

Saturday!

First up again we have the OG Kush seed #15 after 18 full days out of soil. I've put some training wires onto the bucket, and topped her at day 13 in preparation for quad-lining. Slightly different than usual, I let it grow 5 stages of branches instead of 4, and took off the bottom 3 sets of branches. She seems to be coming along as well as could be. I'll grow this one into my typical rectangle shape to match the footprint of the light and tent area.

Next up is the Fruity OG Kush seed #1 coming in on day 70 of flowering and its super weird, there is virtually no smell. I've kept an old carbon filter connected to the ventilation, but I could probably remove it altogether. I'm just going to wait until I have a stinky flowering plant until I replace it. This plant isn't as crystally as the regular OG Kush, but the buds seem relatively dense and look nice so far. I'm going to start a flush as of today, feeding just tap water, and then to a drought when I think its ready. I think 2 or 3 weeks and she should finish (12-13 weeks flowering total) I've been topping up the SIP about 2L every day now.

:blunt:

Saturday!

First up again we have the OG Kush seed #15 after 18 full days out of soil. I've put some training wires onto the bucket, and topped her at day 13 in preparation for quad-lining. Slightly different than usual, I let it grow 5 stages of branches instead of 4, and took off the bottom 3 sets of branches. She seems to be coming along as well as could be. I'll grow this one into my typical rectangle shape to match the footprint of the light and tent area.

Next up is the Fruity OG Kush seed #1 coming in on day 70 of flowering and its super weird, there is virtually no smell. I've kept an old carbon filter connected to the ventilation, but I could probably remove it altogether. I'm just going to wait until I have a stinky flowering plant until I replace it. This plant isn't as crystally as the regular OG Kush, but the buds seem relatively dense and look nice so far. I'm going to start a flush as of today, feeding just tap water, and then to a drought when I think its ready. I think 2 or 3 weeks and she should finish (12-13 weeks flowering total) I've been topping up the SIP about 2L every day now.

Dam those look good

Not a whole not new this week, so will keep it short.

First up is OG Kush seed #15. You can't really see whats going on in the pic, but she is starting quad-lining. I underfed a bit so now hoping she catches up a bit to where she should be.

Second is the Fruity OG Kush seed #1 after 11 weeks flowering. Really starting to purple up a bit.

:passitleft:

Alright alright alright, time for another update!

First up is the OG Kush seed #15 at day 33 of veg. This one seems to be growing a bit slow, but it might just be that I let it grow 5 sets of nodes before topping, so it is a bit taller and skinnier than it would have been otherwise. Either way, I've been developing my quad-lining technique over the past year and hope to do something nice with this plant. The internode spacing is pretty tight, with lots of branching going on. I just did a bunch of defoliation today, and will continue to use defoliation and training on the middle branches as well. Its about that time, the plant is settled enough to start filling up the SIP and letting it do its thing, instead of just top-watering.

Lastly we have the Fruity OG Kush seed #1 at day 132 total, day 84 of flower. I think 13-weeks or a bit more is probably enough flowering time, so I have begun droughting this plant starting yesterday. I will probably have to do two droughts before she finishes, but we will see. Again this plant has virtually no smell, so I am not expecting AAA weed, but hoping it is good and smokeable. The original OG Kush is not very stinky either but still packs a punch. This one is not quite as covered in trichomes as the original strain usually is.

Alright alright alright, time for another update!

First up is the OG Kush seed #15 at day 33 of veg. This one seems to be growing a bit slow, but it might just be that I let it grow 5 sets of nodes before topping, so it is a bit taller and skinnier than it would have been otherwise. Either way, I've been developing my quad-lining technique over the past year and hope to do something nice with this plant. The internode spacing is pretty tight, with lots of branching going on. I just did a bunch of defoliation today, and will continue to use defoliation and training on the middle branches as well. Its about that time, the plant is settled enough to start filling up the SIP and letting it do its thing, instead of just top-watering.

Lastly we have the Fruity OG Kush seed #1 at day 132 total, day 84 of flower. I think 13-weeks or a bit more is probably enough flowering time, so I have begun droughting this plant starting yesterday. I will probably have to do two droughts before she finishes, but we will see. Again this plant has virtually no smell, so I am not expecting AAA weed, but hoping it is good and smokeable. The original OG Kush is not very stinky either but still packs a punch. This one is not quite as covered in trichomes as the original strain usually is.

you got some nice looking plants there CM420

I just got a new microscope, so thought I would play around with it a bit. Here are some samples:

OG Kush seed #14 @ just over 5 months cure:

Wedding Cake seed #1 @ around 3 weeks cure:

I'm still finishing off the OG Kush #14, but it will be gone soon :( The Wedding Cake is pretty good though, so that should sustain me until the new batch of OG Kush comes through.
Reverse thrusters Sulu! Red Alert! It's the Crystalline Entity ... again!

Also, your Fruit Kush is/was a lovely flat top, swelling so nice. Really enjoy the flash/no flash efforts too, really helps. And these micro pics here really look so heavily droughted... even freeze-dried. Have you guys ever had freeze-dried weed? It's amazing. (Anyone in my area wants to share costs on a freeze dryer and I'm in like Flynn.)

Nice to meet you, I'm ReservoirDog, a fellow sipper, and mainly wanted to just say thanks for sharing.

Hi RD! Welcome!

And thanks! I put lot of effort into training/defoliating the Fruity OG Kush, its probably my best job of quad-lining so far and I'm pretty proud of it. It seems that if you selectively defoliate and maybe train the tallest center branches, the others catch up quickly, producing a nice flat top. In my first attempts at quad-lining I was topping the biggest ones, but that seems be too much where defoliation has the right impact.

Never tried freeze-dried weed myself but it sounds like it would be the bomb.

Yes, defole... I tend to do a little more than you appear to, I make her lollipopped in essence after 'maturity', about a week before flip. At the height I decide is too low to have buds, I also remove leaf below this level. This helps because I'm always trying to maintain good airflow and reduced humidity in this zone, SIPs being what they are and my climate being generally v. high rh (W. Coast Canada). My layout's a little different, indoors I grow 420 in an 80-something litre rectangular tote SIP, with a 6-gallon/24litre, reservoir and I use two 10-gallon GeoPot soft pots side by side in the SIP, a plant in each. They have to be slightly trained away from each other but it's not hard and I can pull and replace the GeoPots if I want to do the veg tent/flower tent thing, or w.h.y. Using the bags also gives me a slightly drier, slightly more aerated SIP than without.
197E42A7-780B-4546-9CF7-451FE42CD9BE.jpeg

Lately, I've been growing eight nodes, then top the eighth and remove the bottom two. Gives me a ''double-quad'', or, eight branches that I train on a horizontal with Carhooks (awesome things) and I coax the side branching coming out of those perpendicularly straight upward as my centre tops, then the actual tips finally released to go vertical during stretch, though recently I've even been 'topping' the tips mid-veg to generate 16 tip/tops from them to add to the few dozen from the secondary branching that was brought up vertical.

Going into flower here any day on one, I'll update on the SIP Club thread where I post pretty much every day. Gorgeous plants you've got, glad SIPs are working out for you. This year I expanded and upsized my outdoor SIP garden with 9, 100+ litre SIPs for my vegetables and I now I need to buy another freezer for all the produce, that's after canning up a ton of it and giving stuff away constantly. SIPs work very well in my life, and just work well period.

Watching your progress with interest!

So I plan to harvest this Fruity OG Kush plant either tonight or early tomorrow morning, so figured I would get some pre-harvest shots of both plants.

Up first is the OG Kush seed #15, coming along slowly but surely, I did a round of defoliation yesterday and this plant has already pretty much grown into all the empty spaces. I've been training her pretty hard, but have only broken one small branch so far.

Next is the Fruity OG Kush seed #1 at nearly 13 weeks flowering, right before harvest. You can see pretty much all the leaves have shrunken away and been devoured by the plant due to droughting conditions and life-cycle of the plant. This is why I don't bother doing heavy defoliation, because the plant naturally discards most of the leaves anyway. There are going to be a lot of big top buds here, so trimming should be relatively easy, but will take all friggin day due to the size of this one. She is on the second round of droughting, will be 3 days without water this PM.

Lastly I took some pre-harvest shots of the trichs, you can see there is quite a difference between the old-growth and the new-growth in that the crystals are well developed with lots of amber on the old growth, and cloudy/clear on the new-growth. This is about the right time to harvest for my taste, with a nice mix of crystals in different stages of maturity. This plant still has no smell so I'm really wondering how it will smoke.

:ganjamon:

You know what time it is, time for another update!

It's been 2 weeks since my last update on the OG Kush seed #15 and this plant is a bit slow in growth but healthy and coming along nicely. It looks like another week of veg is in order, then I will stick her in the tent. Currently its under 2, 100w LED panels covering a roughly 2'x1' area.

I've been defoliating the center branches quite a lot, trying to keep them in check and training the outermost branches outward, only defoliating the inner facing leaves. The tops are all within a couple inches of each other, so fairly even at this point.

This plant is using up quite a lot of water, its hard to say exactly how much, about 1-1.5L/day it seems. I've been top-feeding with fish feed, keeping the SIP portion topped up or pretty close.

In these pics, she was just lightly defoliated, with more defoliation to come.

Some nice growth since last week on the OG Kush seed #15, although it might be hard to tell from the pics. This one has never been a grower, its a show-er. The bud is typically dense, covered in crystals and hits hard. Hoping for the best on this one, lots of veg time put in. This is AFTER a bunch of todays defoliation. There will be more.
She will go into flower today or tomorrow.

I guess its time for another update, but sorry I didn't get any pictures before the HPS turned on. If I take em now its just going to look yellow.
In any case, I am defoliating the OGK seed #15 (after 7 days of flower) every day or second day, quite heavily, still working to keep the canopy fairly even. She is still going through about 1-1.5L of water/day so things are on track and progressing nicely. I'm still feeding veg feed, but will transition to flower feed and more bottom feeding of the SIP, as I have been solely top feeding up to this point. Will try to get pics tomorrow.

:snowboating:

It is day 75 of growth, day 14 of flower and the OG Kush seed #15 is stretching out a little bit! I've been feeding upwards of 2L/day, but only feeding every 2 days or so, letting the SIP do its job and feed my plant properly while I do other things. The feed has been switched over completely to low nitrogen flowering feed now, but she should have plenty of nitrogen left over for the rest of the flowering stretch. I'm still defoliating quite heavily on the inner branches and basically any leaf that covers a bud site, and will do more plus training today. Looking good, fingers crossed, this should make some nice flowers! It's hard to get good pics tho when your running an HPS, but here they are:

:ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom