Malawi, Golden Tiger, Wild Thailand & Apple Betty From Herbies Seeds

Chuckeye

Greetings,

Details first ;)

Only one seed was of a nice size with black lines/speckles But they all germinated !

Three floaters and one sinker.....

Two days in water and they had all cracked and started to show a tap root. Good enough, into solo cups !

Two days later they were all above ground.

One hiccup, long story short, two seeds ended up in the same cup...

Double seedlings.jpg

Later that evening I popped the ProMix HP out and gently separated them. The tap roots were roughly as long as the stems and hadn't started to intertwine. The only sign of trauma in the next few days was a slight crinkle in the first set of leaves.

I'm using a 600w MH/HPS light in a 42" parabolic reflector. My grow "room" is a series of light weight panels 4' high than can expand from a 4'x4' to a 5'x5'. Plywood frame, 1/8" hollow core plastic faced with tin foil. Inside a 10'x10'x8' high room. Inside a 26'x36'x10' high room ;)

Two Honeywell 7" fans inside the enclosure and another for room exhaust.

Light is @44" and 75%.

Five gallon fabric bags with Air Domes. They will be turned on around day 30 and will only run at light on hours.

Pot elevators, saucers, 1/2" plywood base and double wheel castors with a single post. They replace the single wheel/bearing type.

One pot is a layer of clay pebbles and a root control disc. Pot #2 has a 3" air stone instead of the supplied lines.

Pot #3 and #4 have the Air Domes simply covered with cheese cloth.

Nutrients are Mega Crop one part. I start my seedlings on .7g/4L right away.

Yesterday I prewet my ProMix HP with 1.5g/4L of MC so they would be moist today at transplant.

Relative humidity is less than 20% right now. I performed a test with 4L each per pot and they were almost dry in three days without plants !

My lights off temps have been as low as 64F so today I purchased an oil filled heater. Back to square one balancing fans, light power/height and temps ;)

I also noticed the manufacture date on my bale of ProMix HP was 2020 so I sprinkled the root ball with Dynomyco at transplant, just to be safe !

Fast forward to Day 14, transplant day !

Before...

The Girls before 23 Jan 23.jpg

Apple Betty roots..

Roots Apple Betty 23 Jan 23.jpg

Golden Tiger roots....

Roots Golden Tiger 23 Jan 23.jpg

Malawi roots....

Roots Malawi 23 Jan 23.jpg

Wild Thailand roots....

Roots Wild Thailand 23 Jan 23.jpg

After transplant...

The Girls After 23 Jan 23.jpg

If I missed anything, please feel free to ask !

Cheers

Greetings,

Details first ;)

Only one seed was of a nice size with black lines/speckles But they all germinated !

Three floaters and one sinker.....

Two days in water and they had all cracked and started to show a tap root. Good enough, into solo cups !

Two days later they were all above ground.

One hiccup, long story short, two seeds ended up in the same cup...

Double seedlings.jpg

Later that evening I popped the ProMix HP out and gently separated them. The tap roots were roughly as long as the stems and hadn't started to intertwine. The only sign of trauma in the next few days was a slight crinkle in the first set of leaves.

I'm using a 600w MH/HPS light in a 42" parabolic reflector. My grow "room" is a series of light weight panels 4' high than can expand from a 4'x4' to a 5'x5'. Plywood frame, 1/8" hollow core plastic faced with tin foil. Inside a 10'x10'x8' high room. Inside a 26'x36'x10' high room ;)

Two Honeywell 7" fans inside the enclosure and another for room exhaust.

Light is @44" and 75%.

Five gallon fabric bags with Air Domes. They will be turned on around day 30 and will only run at light on hours.

Pot elevators, saucers, 1/2" plywood base and double wheel castors with a single post. They replace the single wheel/bearing type.

One pot is a layer of clay pebbles and a root control disc. Pot #2 has a 3" air stone instead of the supplied lines.

Pot #3 and #4 have the Air Domes simply covered with cheese cloth.

Nutrients are Mega Crop one part. I start my seedlings on .7g/4L right away.

Yesterday I prewet my ProMix HP with 1.5g/4L of MC so they would be moist today at transplant.

Relative humidity is less than 20% right now. I performed a test with 4L each per pot and they were almost dry in three days without plants !

My lights off temps have been as low as 64F so today I purchased an oil filled heater. Back to square one balancing fans, light power/height and temps ;)

I also noticed the manufacture date on my bale of ProMix HP was 2020 so I sprinkled the root ball with Dynomyco at transplant, just to be safe !

Fast forward to Day 14, transplant day !

Before...

The Girls before 23 Jan 23.jpg

Apple Betty roots..

Roots Apple Betty 23 Jan 23.jpg

Golden Tiger roots....

Roots Golden Tiger 23 Jan 23.jpg

Malawi roots....

Roots Malawi 23 Jan 23.jpg

Wild Thailand roots....

Roots Wild Thailand 23 Jan 23.jpg

After transplant...

The Girls After 23 Jan 23.jpg

If I missed anything, please feel free to ask !

Cheers
I’ll be riding with you I’m going to be starting a Golden Tiger grow soon. CL🍀 :goodluck: :cheer:

Day 18, 4 days from transplant...

We've had an exceptionally mild January but it is over ;)

My new oil filled heater is keeping my lights off temperatures above 70F.

It's 5000btu/1500 watts so I ran a dedicated line. Will need some time with it to see how accurate the thermostat is.

The heater with my helper Varis, Damn Cat, he, he..

At least she has no interest in eating anything !

Heater 27 Jan 23.jpg

Next issue to address. A very dry winter, in the past my rh has been between 40-50%, depending on watering day(s).

This winter I have rarely hit 30%, sigh... Humidifier on the way. 6L cool mist !

Humidifier.JPG

The girls were ready for water at four days from transplant.

And the two front girls are Hungry (Arrrrrrrrr) :yahoo:

So I upped the feed to 2.1g/4L of MC and gave them all 4L !

Normally I would give them half that amount at this stage but with the humidity so low I doubt there will be an overwatering issue. My goal is to give them no more than they can use in less than three days.

When I employ the humidifier I may revisit this....

The Girls, low angle...

The Girls 18 days  27 Jan 23.jpg

Higher angle a little later....

The Girls 18 days high angle 27 Jan 23.jpg

Cheers

Some great strain choices there Chuckeye! The 3 sativas look great, and the Apple Betty is something that Bill absolutely rates highly so because of that it now intrigues me. So they all have a lot of appeal promise!

Day 18, 4 days from transplant...

We've had an exceptionally mild January but it is over ;)

My new oil filled heater is keeping my lights off temperatures above 70F.

It's 5000btu/1500 watts so I ran a dedicated line. Will need some time with it to see how accurate the thermostat is.

The heater with my helper Varis, Damn Cat, he, he..

At least she has no interest in eating anything !

Heater 27 Jan 23.jpg

Next issue to address. A very dry winter, in the past my rh has been between 40-50%, depending on watering day(s).

This winter I have rarely hit 30%, sigh... Humidifier on the way. 6L cool mist !

Humidifier.JPG

The girls were ready for water at four days from transplant.

And the two front girls are Hungry (Arrrrrrrrr) :yahoo:

So I upped the feed to 2.1g/4L of MC and gave them all 4L !

Normally I would give them half that amount at this stage but with the humidity so low I doubt there will be an overwatering issue. My goal is to give them no more than they can use in less than three days.

When I employ the humidifier I may revisit this....

The Girls, low angle...

The Girls 18 days  27 Jan 23.jpg

Higher angle a little later....

The Girls 18 days high angle 27 Jan 23.jpg

Cheers
What is the prime RH for your girls? Looking 👀 happy n healthy by the way 😍. CL🍀 :goodjob: :thumb::high-five:

Some great strain choices there Chuckeye! The 3 sativas look great, and the Apple Betty is something that Bill absolutely rates highly so because of that it now intrigues me. So they all have a lot of appeal promise!
LOL, Bill is the reason I'm growing the Apple Betty !

Not really a fan of Indica's but... ;)

What is the prime RH for your girls? Looking 👀 happy n healthy by the way 😍. CL🍀 :goodjob: :thumb::high-five:

Not sure what you mean ? They are currently running at under 30%, I want them to be closer to 50%..

Cheers

LOL, Bill is the reason I'm growing the Apple Betty !

Not really a fan of Indica's but... ;)

Not sure what you mean ? They are currently running at under 30%, I want them to be closer to 50%..

Cheers
So then around 50%, gotcha 👍. CL🍀

Day 20, six days from transplant....

They all received the full 4L per plant two days ago and "feel" like there is half left !

Likely four days until the humidifier arrives...

If the plants still feel "heavy" tomorrow I may turn on the Air Domes. They do suggest 30 days.

The Malawi and Wild Thailand aren't looking very Sativaish ;) Shorter wide leaves...

Day 20 Apple Betty 29 Jan 23.jpg

Day 20 Golden Tiger 29 Jan 23.jpg

Day 20 Malawi 29 Jan 23.jpg

Day 20 Wild Thailand 29 Jan 23.jpg

This picture doesn't do the color justice, they are greening up nicely but I will still up the nutrients to 2.5g/4L on the next feeding..

Day 20 The Girls 29 Jan 23.jpg

Cheers

Day 20, six days from transplant....

They all received the full 4L per plant two days ago and "feel" like there is half left !

Likely four days until the humidifier arrives...

If the plants still feel "heavy" tomorrow I may turn on the Air Domes. They do suggest 30 days.

The Malawi and Wild Thailand aren't looking very Sativaish ;) Shorter wide leaves...

Day 20 Apple Betty 29 Jan 23.jpg

Day 20 Golden Tiger 29 Jan 23.jpg

Day 20 Malawi 29 Jan 23.jpg

Day 20 Wild Thailand 29 Jan 23.jpg

This picture doesn't do the color justice, they are greening up nicely but I will still up the nutrients to 2.5g/4L on the next feeding..

Day 20 The Girls 29 Jan 23.jpg

Day 24

Roughly a day from turning on the humidifier, a full gallon of water !

Tried lots of combinations, with my room exhaust fan off I can get the humidity up to ~50% but the temp is 90F !

I decided to settle for less rh and a lower temp, exhaust fan on temp is 85F but humidity drops to mid 30's.

Oil filled heater keeps the temps in the low 70's at lights off. Also humidifier and exhaust fan are off.

These pictures are from yesterday.....

Day 24 Apple Betty 2 Feb 23.jpg

Day 24 Golden Tiger 2 Feb 23.jpg

Day 24 Malawi 2 Feb 23.jpg

Day 24 Wild Thailand 2 Feb 23.jpg

And this picture was about an hour ago...

Day 25 The Girls 3 Feb 23.jpg

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom