Stunger Tries Trough Growing And Attempts Fluxing On His Organic Living Soil Balcony

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! :snowboating:

Welcome to my 2023/24 grow. :yahoo::welcome:

Previously I have grown in plastic pots 30L & 50L (8gal & 13gal). But I have now put the pots in storage, and instead assembled on the balcony a raised garden bed (a trough) to contain about 300L(80gal) of organic living soil. There are pros and cons on growing in a common container, but at this point in time it feels like the right thing to explore, so here I am, running with it! And because the plants have now had their final up-potting and they are still looking healthy, I'll take that as a goer and start this journal now!

This grow's strain aim

In recent grows I had been focusing on Sativas, I love their high for the daytime, for being active, and still being able to function well. A few years ago I grew White Widow and Gorgonzola, I don't know what their genetics were but I found when consumed as an edible an hour or so before bed that I would sleep the whole night through, if I was woken up then sleep would be there to overcome the disturbance and to seamlessly pull me back to dreamland again. It was great, I'd probably get up in the night once a month. I didn't find that same deep sleep assisted effect with the Sativa strains I grew, so this time I wanted to try something strongly Indica to evaluate for sleeping and rest, on whether it is more of an Indica/Sativa characteristic, or maybe it was specific strain related.

For the record, this grow I started off with Black Valium, Super Lemon Haze and Blueberry Cupcake. That would have given me 2 Indica dominant and 1 Sativa dominant plants.

I had a 5 pack of Black Valium from Top Shelf Seeds, the description of its effects and potency was really appealing. Unfortunately, one after the other, each seed failed to germinate and then I failed to check on the 5th seed thinking the obvious, when I did, it was too late, the only successfully germinated Black Valium seed had gone unnoticed, it's overgrown root now folded and dying, I potted it into soil but too late, it failed to grow. Another lesson to had. :(

It was also a no starter for the Blueberry Cupcake from Humboldt Seed Company, maybe it didn't like the soil or perhaps a worm had nibbled it's nether regions, but unfortunately it never grew bigger than a matchbox. ☹️

So, not wanting the outdoor growing season to take off without me, I kicked off a Frozen Black Cherry, and then a week later I followed that with 2 regular Mulanje Sherbert seeds.

The strains that I am growing

Super Lemon Haze (feminised) - Greenhouse Seeds

70% SATIVA - 30% INDICA

THC: 19.33% CBD: 0.21% CBN: 1.15%

GENETICS
Lemon Skunk x Super Silver Haze.

EFFECTS
A very citrus-like haze, works fast and lasts long.
It is a very powerful high, very balanced between a physical and a cerebral side.
Medicinally effective in pain therapy and appetite stimulation.

This is probably perceived as being an 'old' strain but I have read and heard many times that a lot of folk rate SLH very highly, often as their number 1, sounds good and I just want top shelf!

Frozen Black Cherry (feminised) - Anesia Seeds

80% Indica / 20% Sativa

THC +35%

GENETICS
Pacific Frost x Blackberry Moonrocks

Frozen Black Cherry combines exceptionally high potency with an unforgettable taste experience, an aroma of cherries, red berries and grapes that is to die for.

The buds of this strain are rock hard, super sticky, typically indica and produce a smooth enjoyable smoke that is extremely fruity and sweet. The strain can reach a THC level of an impressive 36% and is among the most potent strains in the world.
Its effects build up steadily and quickly immediately after consumption, releasing an unimagined power. Sensory distortions can occur and trippy effects set in while the sense of time seems to blur. It brings with it a distinctly psychedelic component and music suddenly attains a much greater breadth and depth. At the same time, a deep physical relaxation spreads and the worries and stress of the day simply disappear. The effect on body and mind is multifaceted and offers a good opportunity to enrich certain activities, if you are still able to do so.

I am most interested in this for it's potency and Indica dominance for purposes of taking it before sleep, or indeed any other time when something for the couch is called for.

Mulanje Sherbert (regular)

70% Sativa / 30 Indica

GENETICS:
Mulanje x Mango Sherbert

THC unknown

This is a homemade cross I did 2 years ago. I grew it out last year. The result is the strongest strain that I have ever grown (which doesn't mean much because I am not a big grower). It's high lasts noticeably longer than most and packs a punch. It is the one that I have reached for almost exclusively over these past 6 months, and some feedback from a few testers has it rated as their top pick.

I mainly intended to grow it this year in order to get a male and cross it with the other 2 ladies just to see what the outcome is, but for the quality of her buds a female would be nice too. I have germinated 2 seeds, ideally 1 will be a male for it's pollen and the other a female for her bud.

If the Super Lemon Haze and Frozen Black Cherry live up to their descriptions, and I know the Mulanje Sherbert is already something special, I will be quite excited on the results of any successful crosses.

The Trough

The trough's dimensions are; 1.83m x 0.45 x 0.4 (total volume 330L). It has no bottom.

The media used to fill it

My approach to filling the trough has been to create 2 aeration layers and 2 organic living soil layers, with the lower soil layer being somewhat of a 'super soil' layer from all the chicken derived media. There is also 2 amendment layers as well. A shoutout to Bill who has been popularising aeration layers in containers with his fantastic grows.

T O P - L A Y E R - approx 19cm(7.5inches)

5cm of Herbi's living soil
6cm of my previously used living container soil (I have lots of good stuff added over the years that I want to retain)
Amendment layer; Dried Shrimp, Bio Char, Malted Barley, Diatomaceous Earth, Neem Meal, Kelp, Gypsum
3cm of composted chicken run soil to 'seed' the aeration layer below

M I D D L E - A E R A T I O N - L A Y E R - approx 5cm(2 inches)

5cm of Volcanic Pumice and Scoria

S U P E R - S O I L - L A Y E R - approx 7cm(3 inches)

Amendment layer; Dried Shrimp, Bio Char, Malted Barley, Diatomaceous Earth, Neem Meal, Kelp, Gypsum, Paramagnetic Rock Dust
4cm Chicken Soil raked up from the chook run
1cm of Worm Castings
2cm of composted Chicken poo and untreated wood shavings

B A S E - A E R A T I O N - L A Y E R - approx 4cm(1.5 inches)

4cm of Volcanic Pumice and Scoria

I had hoped to have the trough all set up a few months before use, but I had delays and it was only set up days before up-potting the plants. Although it was planted into almost immediately after being set up, all components had worms and soil life and had sat long enough individually for there not to be a heat issue (at least I hoped) For the initial small seedling pots I filled the lower third with Chicken run soil, so if seedlings can handle it, I felt it would be fine.

At this point I have left approximately 5cm (2 inches) free from the top of the trough container to allow the usage of horizontal training wire.

I have affixed a layer of landscape fabric to the bottom third to the trough, to help contain any potential soil loss.

Filling the base aeration layer

The first layer that I did was of pumice and scoria (both volcanic). This will hopefully provide an aeration characteristic for where the media meets the base, and also to help contain soil particles. I would expect in a few years the fabric will have broken down but I think with the pumice/scoria base and over time a living earth root complex will develop that should allow the soil particles to be fairly self contained and not leak out.

Next the base Super Soil layers

Then the middle aeration layer

And finally the top layer

At this point I have about 5cm/2 inches left to the top of the trough. I am intending to use this space to try and train the plant to keep low in a Fluxing manner.

I will post this now to kick off the journal then come back and post some pics and detail on the plant's progress thus far.

Thanks for dropping in! I hope your own gardens are going great, and I hope to look in on them very soon.
:ganjamon:

Good to see you Stunger.
Hell, I would live in there, never mind the plant 🤣 it looks awesome. I'm in.
:popcorn:
Cheers Joe!
Yeah boiiiiiiiiii!
Thanks Tra!

Update - some pics and detail of the plants

Super Lemon Haze

Due to it being an overhead pic, it doesn't show the height of the stem from soil to the 3rd node, but it is around 4-5 inches.

The SLH has been up-potted to the trough. I have buried its stem lower so the single remaining node pair (the 3rd) can grow under the training wires. The 1st and 2nd nodes I removed 3 days earlier so it can heal and recover before being buried in the soil, 2 or 3 inches deeper than it had been in it's previous pot.

Using some @Carcass inspired 'Carhooks' for early training to get those opposing growth shoots quickly horizontal while the plant is young and pliable.

The plant is now ready to remove the Carhooks and utilise horizontal training wires.

Frozen Black Cherry

The overhead pic fails to show the height of the soil to the 3rd node

Up-potted to the trough

Beginning training to encourage the node pair to grow out horizontally

Soil given mulch layer and plant trained solely with horizontal wires

Mulanje Sherbert - gender determination

In my last grow I utilised close up photography to attempt to determine a plant's gender when grown from regular seed, before either pistils or balls were showing. However when I choose a couple of seeds (regular) I decided to go by something 'old timers' had said about when seeds that were round, were more often female, if not round were more often male. I had read one account of rolling the seeds down a flat slope and those that roll fairly straight because they were 'rounder' were deemed to be more likely to be female.

On this basis, I chose 1 large full round seed and 1 large flatter more oval seed. So it is very interesting that at this very early stage of the plants, that the possible 'male seed' is growing into an obviously bigger taller plant than the possibly female seed.

In my limited experienced I have found taller regular seeds seem to grow out to be males. And at this stage I can't be buggered mucking around, so I will call it now, a boy and girl, and I up-potted the 'girl' in the trough on the presumption she'll grow up using girly pronouns :rofl::rofl:

I performed surgery on her very young (for me) to remove the lower 2 nodes pairs so I could get her in the soil healed up, at that point the 3rd node's growth shoots were not showing.

Growth shoots appearing and mulch layer applied.

On topping

All plants were topped above the 3rd node, but with the Super Lemon Haze and the Frozen Black Cherry, I fucking missed and FIMed them instead, however it appears I managed to top the Mulanje Sherbert fine.

The 'male' Mulanje Sherbert

He has been topped with nodes 2 and 3 allowed to remain. I up-potted 'him to a modest smallish pot as I want to remove him from the balcony once balls are confirmed. And for the sake of a tiny bit of pollen I don't need to grow a big male plant.

All together!

So that's the state of play at this early stage. I started these off a month or more later than previous grows so it will be interesting in the coming weeks of summer sun how much growth they put on under the training. This grow, I am intending to be ruthless on removing secondary growth in preference of directing bud growth solely into primary buds. We'll see, haha.

Thanks for dropping in. All the best for the coming New Year!

Yet another interesting looking @Stunger thread. I'm in! :popcorn:

Cool newcdigs for the plants. Can't wait to see that bad boy filled with happiness!

First question. Is that a commercial unit or something you fabricated? And if commercial, is this its typical use?

But I have now put the pots in storage, and instead assembled on the balcony a raised garden bed (a trough) to contain about 300L(80gal) of organic living soil
And the adventure begins.....👍
Great job on that planter, Stunger- that's a lot of dirt to bring in through the front door...the neighbors must think you've got quite the herb garden going in there...🤔

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! :snowboating:

Welcome to my 2023/24 grow. :yahoo::welcome:

Previously I have grown in plastic pots 30L & 50L (8gal & 13gal). But I have now put the pots in storage, and instead assembled on the balcony a raised garden bed (a trough) to contain about 300L(80gal) of organic living soil. There are pros and cons on growing in a common container, but at this point in time it feels like the right thing to explore, so here I am, running with it! And because the plants have now had their final up-potting and they are still looking healthy, I'll take that as a goer and start this journal now!

This grow's strain aim

In recent grows I had been focusing on Sativas, I love their high for the daytime, for being active, and still being able to function well. A few years ago I grew White Widow and Gorgonzola, I don't know what their genetics were but I found when consumed as an edible an hour or so before bed that I would sleep the whole night through, if I was woken up then sleep would be there to overcome the disturbance and to seamlessly pull me back to dreamland again. It was great, I'd probably get up in the night once a month. I didn't find that same deep sleep assisted effect with the Sativa strains I grew, so this time I wanted to try something strongly Indica to evaluate for sleeping and rest, on whether it is more of an Indica/Sativa characteristic, or maybe it was specific strain related.

For the record, this grow I started off with Black Valium, Super Lemon Haze and Blueberry Cupcake. That would have given me 2 Indica dominant and 1 Sativa dominant plants.

I had a 5 pack of Black Valium from Top Shelf Seeds, the description of its effects and potency was really appealing. Unfortunately, one after the other, each seed failed to germinate and then I failed to check on the 5th seed thinking the obvious, when I did, it was too late, the only successfully germinated Black Valium seed had gone unnoticed, it's overgrown root now folded and dying, I potted it into soil but too late, it failed to grow. Another lesson to had. :(

It was also a no starter for the Blueberry Cupcake from Humboldt Seed Company, maybe it didn't like the soil or perhaps a worm had nibbled it's nether regions, but unfortunately it never grew bigger than a matchbox. ☹️

So, not wanting the outdoor growing season to take off without me, I kicked off a Frozen Black Cherry, and then a week later I followed that with 2 regular Mulanje Sherbert seeds.

The strains that I am growing

Super Lemon Haze (feminised) - Greenhouse Seeds

70% SATIVA - 30% INDICA

THC: 19.33% CBD: 0.21% CBN: 1.15%

GENETICS
Lemon Skunk x Super Silver Haze.

EFFECTS
A very citrus-like haze, works fast and lasts long.
It is a very powerful high, very balanced between a physical and a cerebral side.
Medicinally effective in pain therapy and appetite stimulation.

This is probably perceived as being an 'old' strain but I have read and heard many times that a lot of folk rate SLH very highly, often as their number 1, sounds good and I just want top shelf!

Frozen Black Cherry (feminised) - Anesia Seeds

80% Indica / 20% Sativa

THC +35%

GENETICS
Pacific Frost x Blackberry Moonrocks

Frozen Black Cherry combines exceptionally high potency with an unforgettable taste experience, an aroma of cherries, red berries and grapes that is to die for.

The buds of this strain are rock hard, super sticky, typically indica and produce a smooth enjoyable smoke that is extremely fruity and sweet. The strain can reach a THC level of an impressive 36% and is among the most potent strains in the world.
Its effects build up steadily and quickly immediately after consumption, releasing an unimagined power. Sensory distortions can occur and trippy effects set in while the sense of time seems to blur. It brings with it a distinctly psychedelic component and music suddenly attains a much greater breadth and depth. At the same time, a deep physical relaxation spreads and the worries and stress of the day simply disappear. The effect on body and mind is multifaceted and offers a good opportunity to enrich certain activities, if you are still able to do so.

I am most interested in this for it's potency and Indica dominance for purposes of taking it before sleep, or indeed any other time when something for the couch is called for.

Mulanje Sherbert (regular)

70% Sativa / 30 Indica

GENETICS:
Mulanje x Mango Sherbert

THC unknown

This is a homemade cross I did 2 years ago. I grew it out last year. The result is the strongest strain that I have ever grown (which doesn't mean much because I am not a big grower). It's high lasts noticeably longer than most and packs a punch. It is the one that I have reached for almost exclusively over these past 6 months, and some feedback from a few testers has it rated as their top pick.

I mainly intended to grow it this year in order to get a male and cross it with the other 2 ladies just to see what the outcome is, but for the quality of her buds a female would be nice too. I have germinated 2 seeds, ideally 1 will be a male for it's pollen and the other a female for her bud.

If the Super Lemon Haze and Frozen Black Cherry live up to their descriptions, and I know the Mulanje Sherbert is already something special, I will be quite excited on the results of any successful crosses.

The Trough

The trough's dimensions are; 1.83m x 0.45 x 0.4 (total volume 330L). It has no bottom.

The media used to fill it

My approach to filling the trough has been to create 2 aeration layers and 2 organic living soil layers, with the lower soil layer being somewhat of a 'super soil' layer from all the chicken derived media. There is also 2 amendment layers as well. A shoutout to Bill who has been popularising aeration layers in containers with his fantastic grows.

T O P - L A Y E R - approx 19cm(7.5inches)

6cm of my previously used living container soil (I have lots of good stuff added over the years that I want to retain)
Amendment layer; Dried Shrimp, Bio Char, Malted Barley, Diatomaceous Earth, Neem Meal, Kelp, Gypsum
3cm of composted chicken run soil to 'seed' the aeration layer below

M I D D L E - A E R A T I O N - L A Y E R - approx 5cm(2 inches)

5cm of Volcanic Pumice and Scoria

S U P E R - S O I L - L A Y E R - approx 7cm(3 inches)

Amendment layer; Dried Shrimp, Bio Char, Malted Barley, Diatomaceous Earth, Neem Meal, Kelp, Gypsum, Paramagnetic Rock Dust
4cm Chicken Soil raked up from the chook run
1cm of Worm Castings
2cm of composted Chicken poo and untreated wood shavings

B A S E - A E R A T I O N - L A Y E R - approx 4cm(1.5 inches)

4cm of Volcanic Pumice and Scoria

I had hoped to have the trough all set up a few months before use, but I had delays and it was only set up days before up-potting the plants. Although it was planted into almost immediately after being set up, all components had worms and soil life and had sat long enough individually for there not to be a heat issue (at least I hoped) For the initial small seedling pots I filled the lower third with Chicken run soil, so if seedlings can handle it, I felt it would be fine.

At this point I have left approximately 5cm (2 inches) free from the top of the trough container to allow the usage of horizontal training wire.

I have affixed a layer of landscape fabric to the bottom third to the trough, to help contain any potential soil loss.

Filling the base aeration layer

The first layer that I did was of pumice and scoria (both volcanic). This will hopefully provide an aeration characteristic for where the media meets the base, and also to help contain soil particles. I would expect in a few years the fabric will have broken down but I think with the pumice/scoria base and over time a living earth root complex will develop that should allow the soil particles to be fairly self contained and not leak out.

Next the base Super Soil layers

Then the middle aeration layer

And finally the top layer

At this point I have about 5cm/2 inches left to the top of the trough. I am intending to use this space to try and train the plant to keep low in a Fluxing manner.

I will post this now to kick off the journal then come back and post some pics and detail on the plant's progress thus far.

Thanks for dropping in! I hope your own gardens are going great, and I hope to look in on them very soon.
Sounds very interesting this year and wish you all the best.👍 CL🍀. :thumb: :woohoo:

Great genetics and WOW look at the new bed! I'm excited to see these changes this year! :popcorn:
Thanks Otter! I am still trying to work out the best approache given the limitations I am under. I'm hopeful that this works well.
Yet another interesting looking @Stunger thread. I'm in! :popcorn:

Cool newcdigs for the plants. Can't wait to see that bad boy filled with happiness!

First question. Is that a commercial unit or something you fabricated? And if commercial, is this its typical use?
Cheers Azi! Yeah me too, it'd be nice to see them blooming as confirmation they like it.

The trough is a commercial 'raised garden bed', usually used on the ground which the plant's roots are able to grow in to. I have 3 set up as veggie gardens in the backyard, they work well. This particular one is a different design (but similar) to my backyard ones. They all feel flimsy when empty because they have no stability without the bracing of a bottom. But now filled with soil it feels very solid, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it remains like that.
Looking great Stunger! Im.excited to see the trough and fluxing!!

With 80 gals of soil, can it be used for future grows.?
Thanks Tim!
I am exciting about the trough too, but I was a bit reluctant to mention an intention to carry out Fluxing training because I am unsure whether I will be able to keep up with the regular training that Fluxing requires.

I have always approached my soil as something I value and want to maintain and build. Over the previous years when I grew in pots the soil was always re-used year to year with appropriate amendments added now and them. So yes, I am intending and hoping that the trough and its soil will be good for a few years at least.
Great to see you growing again!
I was getting a bit worried there!
Cheers Mel! I got slightly delayed with getting my germinations done and then waiting to see if they were going to be happy in order to justify a journal!
And the adventure begins.....👍
Great job on that planter, Stunger- that's a lot of dirt to bring in through the front door...the neighbors must think you've got quite the herb garden going in there...🤔
Thanks Carcass! The missus has been away visiting her folks with our daughter while I man the fort, and there has been no better time to do it, she'll probably do her prunes when she sees it!
:ciao: and happy new year Stunger!
:party:

Already off to a great start.
Cheers Shed! Thanks very much, I hope so!
Sounds very interesting this year and wish you all the best.👍 CL🍀. :thumb: :woohoo:
Thanks CL! Yes another change, more crossing of fingers, but I am looking forward to it. I noticed you've been busy and I look forward to catching up for closer look.

:party:HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!! :party:

Wishing you and all those you care about a safe and well and great New Year!

:snowboating:

Happy new year Stunger! It's great to see you back on the balcony. I had no idea when I tagged you that you are journaling again! :)
Thanks Carmen! Happy New Year to you too and all the best for the year ahead. Growing outdoors always creates an 'off season' period when I don't have anything to journal. I also had a few holdups and delays, but I am underway now!

Update - some pics at this slow stage of foundation building

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Nothing of note to mention, but here are some pics of the young plants about a week on from the last posting.

Mulanje Sherbert

This plant was the smaller of 2 grown from regular Mulanje Sherbert seeds.

Frozen Black Cherry

She is beginning her training well.

Super Lemon Haze

She is not exactly fighting to get out of the blocks first at this stage, but she is underway!

Mulanje Sherbert

Separately potted as my thoughts are that due to it's faster growth that this may be a male. I am hoping it is so I can make some crosses with the other 2 strains.

All together

Thanks for dropping by, I hope you are all having a good start to the New Year and your gardens too! :ganjamon:

That planter/trough is working out real nice, Stunger👍
Lots of room for roots in there, those plants are going to be sooo happy...:)

Update - some pics at this slow stage of foundation building

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Nothing of note to mention, but here are some pics of the young plants about a week on from the last posting.

Mulanje Sherbert

This plant was the smaller of 2 grown from regular Mulanje Sherbert seeds.

Frozen Black Cherry

She is beginning her training well.

Super Lemon Haze

She is not exactly fighting to get out of the blocks first at this stage, but she is underway!

Mulanje Sherbert

Separately potted as my thoughts are that due to it's faster growth that this may be a male. I am hoping it is so I can make some crosses with the other 2 strains.

All together

Thanks for dropping by, I hope you are all having a good start to the New Year and your gardens too! :ganjamon:
Looking like you’re off to great start, nothing but good things to come 👍. I got my seat for the show. CL🍀. :thumb: :ciao:

Looking good, Stunger
But I have now put the pots in storage, and instead assembled on the balcony a raised garden bed (a trough) to contain about 300L(80gal) of organic living soil. There are pros and cons on growing in a common container, but at this point in time it feels like the right thing to explore, so here I am, running with it!

Having the all that soil volume should allow you the get the very most out of your beautiful soil.
I've been looking forward to this seasons Stunger, stealth grow. Love the fingers on the fans of the SLH. :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom