TimHomeGrow FastBuds Autos In Soil

Timhomegrow

Had a decent harvest last round but thinking I need another auto grow before the big photo from in early summer. My girl smokes alot so I have to keep her happy :)

The Strains:
FastBuds 420...leftover seeds from other grows

The plants:
2 Girl Scout Cookie
1 Orange Sherbert...with I had more seeds, great smoke!
1 TBD. Free Northern lights aren't popping again, miscalculated soil and fille 3 pots. Soil delayed in delivery. Who knows, maybe I only do three plants ha

The Setup:

NEW Addition:

With some trips coming up, watering will be an issue. Adding AC Infiniti self watering fabric pot base. Basically a whick system that will pull from a Reservoir to bottom feed and water. With that change, changing nutes, more below.
Screenshot_20240305_201858_Chrome.jpg

nutes
going back to MC. I was on the fence with GF and autos, and the bottom feed system....might as well go MC. I liked the taste and potency it helped produce even though they looked like shit with Mg deficiency. Plus my girl can help my colorblind ass this time with seeing the green shade changes:)

4'x4'x6.5' tent with 6" AC Infinity fan with temp/humidity controller

Mars Hydro TS3000, 450w @Mars Hydro

5 gal. Smart Pots

Fox Farm Happy Frog soil mixed with 20% perlite. Cjanged it up from FFOF. With all the other changes, why not! Also added @DYNOMYCO Dynomyco mycorrizhal as instructed.

Light schedule...NEW
With the help of @InTheShed And @StoneOtter I realized my light intensity with autos gave the plants too much light over the course of its life, so I'll only run up to 75% in flower

The cure and store:
Grove bags will be used for curing and storing. #NoMasonJars. After a year of storage in the Grove bags....I'm a huge believer.

Three of the girls sprouted, 2 GSC and one Orange Sherbert. The Northern Lights wouldn't pop in water, but did in a moist paper tow and was planted yesterday.

20240308_152144.jpg

Now time to read my older journals and refresh how to use MC and not make some of the same mistakes as last time....namely going to slow with upping the dosage

The grow is underway! I hope the bottom watering bases do the job, they look good.
Yea I read good things about them. Seems the o ly issue is sometimes the roots grow out of the pot and wrap around the wicks. Turning frequently or removing the pots from the bases seems to work....from what I've read.

I need something for trips. My auto water system is good pumping water from a Reservoir to the pots, but my distribution method at the pot is lacking. Hoping this is the fix for those long trips. I cam pump I to the self watering base every few days. The XL base hold 2 gals of water on its own

Four days above ground and the girls are doing well. First few days I watered 10 sprays from a spray bottle two times daily. Today they go to every 24hrs watering, each received around 5 oz of water.

20240313_083211.jpg
20240313_083214.jpg

It's been a while since using MC. The new bag is even a different NPK ratio than my bag from 2 years ago...which was the new one at the time.

@Justin Goody I could use a tip and refresher on MC if you don't mind. I know by day 30 I should be in the 3-4g ratio, ideally closer to 4, and at "flip" go to 5g (no flip with auto). When do you start feeding MC? Start with 1g and move from there?

My thought is to start at 1g at 7 day above ground and move up 1g each week there after. But I'm unsure if that will already put me behind the eight ball.

Thanks for the help!

Four days above ground and the girls are doing well. First few days I watered 10 sprays from a spray bottle two times daily. Today they go to every 24hrs watering, each received around 5 oz of water.

20240313_083211.jpg
20240313_083214.jpg

It's been a while since using MC. The new bag is even a different NPK ratio than my bag from 2 years ago...which was the new one at the time.

@Justin Goody I could use a tip and refresher on MC if you don't mind. I know by day 30 I should be in the 3-4g ratio, ideally closer to 4, and at "flip" go to 5g (no flip with auto). When do you start feeding MC? Start with 1g and move from there?

My thought is to start at 1g at 7 day above ground and move up 1g each week there after. But I'm unsure if that will already put me behind the eight ball.

Thanks for the help!
Yes that would work. I start with a pinch in a gallon of water once I see the plant is established (7-10 days) and from there it moves up to 4g pretty quickly before it’s a month old. As soon as I see pistils it can move to 5g and up from there according to needs. I alternate between a full dose (6g) and a 5g dose with boosters (Purpinator, cal mag, etc) though some plants do fine with just MC.

Hope your babies do well!

Yes that would work. I start with a pinch in a gallon of water once I see the plant is established (7-10 days) and from there it moves up to 4g pretty quickly before it’s a month old. As soon as I see pistils it can move to 5g and up from there according to needs. I alternate between a full dose (6g) and a 5g dose with boosters (Purpinator, cal mag, etc) though some plants do fine with just MC.

Hope your babies do well!
As always thanks! You grow amazing autos with MC and hope to one day have the same results :) thankfully with my girl living with me, she can see the color changes better than my colorblind ass...so hoping for good results.

I'll mix in some bud explosion or terpinator when I hit flower as I have both on hand.

Day 20 above ground

I was away for 10 days, my girl did pretty good watering them.

The Orange Sherbert (front left), got topped after the 5th node today. She's a bit tall and lanky, but looking good. She was fed 3g MC today.
20240329_102804.jpg
20240329_102808.jpg

Girlscout Cookie, front right, is still on 2g MC. She's starting her 4th node. I'll bump her to 3g MC on the next watering.
20240329_102812.jpg

The back left is a blue dream that's just 10 days old. She's moving along well now that I'm back. Believe my girlfriend was over watering.

The back right GSC was looking horrible from day one, going to cull it and just grow the three.

Welcome home, and the plants look like they're ready for a bit more TLC now that you're back!
Yea, upped the MC on the larger girl to 3g. I believe she will go 4g by the end of the week. Ideally I'd like to get them all on the same MC dosage before a trip in late mid April.

Day 23 above ground

The Orange Sherbert, sativa dominant, is showing signs of maturing with alternating nodes, pistils, and some stretch today. She's now 14.5", grew over 2" today. Starting training too. I find her branches to be long and skinny, hope they get a little stronger. She was fed 3.5g MC today, up from 3g last watering. Will move to 4g next...maybe 4.5g. I missed a big ramp up when I was gone.
20240401_182145.jpg
20240401_182403.jpg

Girl Scout Cookie, she's starting her 5th node. Her spacing is tight, a stocky little girl. Likely will be topped in a day or two. She's 8" and will get a bigger booster seat soon :)
20240401_183115.jpg
20240401_183124.jpg
20240401_183119.jpg

And of course, the late to the party Blue Dream. She's on 2g MC

20240401_183129.jpg

I was hesitant to leave the simplicity of GF for MC, and now I have three plants in very different stages with different doses of MC.........the irony :)

Today the Orange Sherbert was moved to the self watering base for the first time. Also upped MC to 4g. She's now 17" tall, grew 2.5 inches overnight

Little Blue Dream in the back got 2g MC.

Tomorrow the GSC gets moved to the self watering base as well. Her pot is still fairly full, thinking it needs less water in the soil to get the plants to pull water from the wicks on the self watering base. We shall see

20240403_071550.jpg

day 27 above ground

the two front ones, Orange Sherbert and GSC have been topped and trained.

Both were put on the self watering base and are finally starting to pull water from the wicks. Not sure if it takes a while or if wetting the bottom of the fabric pots yesterday afternoon helped with the capillary action. While drinking, it does seem to.be a litte slow right now.
20240405_071757.jpg

The Orange Sherbert leaves aren't praying and are sagging a bit As it adjusts to.bottom feeding. She's at 4g MC
20240405_071835.jpg

GSC showed some signs of cal deficiency, something I struggle with for MC. It's at 3.5g
20240405_071844.jpg
20240405_071841.jpg

Looking good Tim.

Just curious, can you tell where the pots are damp by eyeing the fabric (might he hard to see with black pots)?

Looking good Tim.

Just curious, can you tell where the pots are damp by eyeing the fabric (might he hard to see with black pots)?
Not really, but I can feel the dampness on the outside. It goes about 3" up the outside of the pots. I'm sure it will absorb more over the next day.

I'd say that deficiency is because 3.5g/gal isn't high enough. I'd get it to 4g for the next watering and maybe consider top-watering it to make sure it gets where it's needed quickly. Chasing deficiencies in veg can be difficult so I try to stay ahead on the feeding schedule.

On the whole they're looking good though!
I'm thinking the same. Orange sherbert showing some leaf spots so she water top fed and bottom fed at 4g. I may jump to 5 next watering as she's show preflower pistils. GSC will go to 4 as well. I thiught this time I was going fast enough with upping the dosage....but these girls.are faster than I am :)

Back
Top Bottom