Cocktail Hour In Carmen's Kitchen🍸
(you'll always find me in the kitchen at parties)
Welcome to my breakaway from the upcoming guyz and galz grow off. Here's where I'll be reporting on my latest grow in more detail than I will there and I will be growing three strains as follows. The MAC #1 will not be counted in the contest journal:

Strain Info 1: Red Mimosa XL Auto (Sweet Seeds) @Sweet Seeds
Indica leaning hybrid
Seed to harvest 8 weeks to 10 weeks
Reported Effects: Creativity, Stimulating, Happiness, Relaxing
Reported Flavour Profile: Fruity, Sweet, Citrus, Spices, Rocket, Orange, Walnut
Terpenes: Caryophyllene, Terpinolene, Myrcene

Photo from the Sweet Seeds Website

red-mimosa-xl-auto.jpg

Strain Info 2: Blueberry Auto (SeedsMan) @SeedsMan

Indica leaning hybrid
Seed to harvest 8 to 10 weeks
Reported Effects: Relaxing, Euphoric, Calm, Focused, Creativity
Reported Flavour: Fruity, Sweet, Berry
Terpenes: Myrcene, Caryophyllene, Pinene

Photo by me

Strain Info 3: MAC #1 Auto (non-sponsor seed)

Hybrid (Miracle Alien Cookies x Auto Think Different by Dutch Passion)
Seed to harvest 10 to 12 weeks
Reported Effects: "A powerful euphoric blast is followed by the giggles and munchies with a soothing body effect. Totally relaxing and great after a busy day." Medical: - anti-inflammatory, mood stabilizing
Reported Flavour: Aromatic
Terpenes: Beta-Caryophyllene at 37.9%, Limonene at 18.9%, Beta-Myrcene at 16.9%, Humulene at 14.7%, and Beta-Pinene at 3.7%

Photo from the Dutch Passion website

Auto-MAC-1-main-cola-indoor-autoflower-cannabis-grow.jpg

MEDIUM – revitalized used LOS (living organic soil)

At intervals I will top with EWC (earth worm compost) and an elemental blend. I will also be using a product called Sea Brix: " SeaBrix is a balanced plant and soil food comprising a broad range of macro, micro and trace minerals, including plant natural stimulating hormones, enzymes and amino acids. The formulation of kelp, fish hydrolosate, amino acids and triacontonol is blended to maximise plant health and plant growth."

LIGHT - 2 x Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Pro LEDs @ViparSpectra

This will be my first grow that I consider DLI, the daily light integral, i.e. the amount of usable light hitting the plants every 24 hours. Previously I followed the recommended PPFD map but I wasn’t measuring DLI.

South Africa is in an energy crisis. We have daily, scheduled rotating power outages that generally last between 2 to 5 hours at a time. The number of hours per day varies according to the condition of the grid. Many days of 2023 were spent with only 12 hours of electricity per day. This makes tracking DLI a challenge.

I am using an online calculator to figure out how many hours to leave the lights burning, and at what intensity (PPFD). I use the chart below to tell me target DLI throughout the different stages of the grow. Knowing the target I can physically turn the lights off part of the time, aiming for the following guidelines:

Clones/Seedlings​
0 - 100 PPFD​
Early Vegetative Stage​
150 - 400 PPFD​
Late Veg/Pre-Flower​
350 - 500 PPFD​
Flowering Stage​
400 - 800 PPFD​
Flowering with CO2​
600 - 1100 PPFD​
Source: 420 Fast Buds (Best LED Lights for Growing in Small Spaces | Fast Buds)

cannabis-dli-cycle-autos-1 (1).png

Source: Photone

Lighting Plan For The Grow

Week 1 Target DLI is 12 200 PPFD for 18 hours / 300 PPFD for 12 hours

Week 2 Target DLI is 16 250 PPFD for 18 hours / 300 PPFD for 15 hours

Week 3 Target DLI is 20 300 for 18 hours / 500 PPFD for 12 hours

Week 4 Target DLI is 30 450 for 18 hours / 500 for 15 hours

Week 5 Target DLI is 40 600 for 18 hours / 700 for 15 hours

Weeks 6 to 9 Target DLI is 45 700 for 18 hours / 800 for 15 hours

Final Week 1 Target DLI is 40 600 for 18 hours / 700 for 15 hours

Final Week 2 Target DLI is 36 550 for 18 hours / 650 for 15 hours

Final Week Target DLI is 32 500 for 18 hours / 600 for 15 hours

Bearing in mind loadshedding, these figures are all just targets and a guide, we will see if I can keep in the ballpark. Remember too that flowering times for auto flowering plants can vary greatly, and the grow can last 12 or more weeks, so reducing DLI for finish will be judged as the grow happens.

ENVIRONMENT:
It will not be possible to control the temperature and humidity of the grow space, so I try not to worry too much about that. I train my plants into low canopies to prevent them from growing too tall on the kitchen table. They are gently up potted from a solo sized container to their final 20 L fabric pots as soon as the root ball is able to hold together, usually at about 2 to 3 weeks. Careful watering in the early days is critical to avoid stunting the plants.

WOW!! I’m impressed already with your dedication and knowledge. I do believe in foliage feed and try to learn as much as possible every day so if it’s ok with you I am along for the grow. South Africa is extremely beautiful and I had some friends from there over the years. Sorry to read that the political problems there are affecting everything including the electricity
Hopefully we can share some information that helps us both

WOW!! I’m impressed already with your dedication and knowledge. I do believe in foliage feed and try to learn as much as possible every day so if it’s ok with you I am along for the grow. South Africa is extremely beautiful and I had some friends from there over the years. Sorry to read that the political problems there are affecting everything including the electricity
Hopefully we can share some information that helps us both
Greetings Wingman, thank you for jumping on board. I'm glad to have you along!

It's pleasant to see how many people doing a research and grow worldwide, I do believe that marijuana growing can actually be a way for all of us to unite in a useful hobby. Make it green!
Hey Green, nice to make your acquaintance and thank you for saying hi. I agree, this hobby and this great site do bring us together!

I'm right here behind Matt, licking my finger to stick in his ear🤣
That gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it :laugh:
Just popping in to see what's happening, and would love to follow along. :)
I really need to get my head wrapped around the DLI thing soon.
Maybe next grow I can get some practice in for that.
Awesome thanks for following. I think I was giving my plants too much light and that is why I was having problems with deficiencies, lockouts etc. That's what I think and that's what I hope to avoid this time.
I'm really looking forward to see how your soil mix works out. Your choice of a seed looks awesome. That strain looks gorgeous😍
Thanks Gee. I hope so too because it would simplify the process nicely for me.

For those who don't know about my soil, it is a craft cannabis soil by Freedom Farms in RSA. They call it Organic Classic. I have used the soil in one grow already and I revitalized it by adding the required amount of Elemental Blend, by Dirty Hands, another local brand, and left it for 6 months to cook and break down the remaining root material. I have reached out to Freedom Farms to find out if, what and how much additional calcium I need to add to the mix, but otherwise I am good to go and if calcium issues arise I will deal with them as and when using a commercial calmag solution.

I'm right here behind Matt, licking my finger to stick in his ear🤣
Wet Willy time!
Welcome to my breakaway from the upcoming guyz and galz grow off. Here's where I'll be reporting on my latest grow in more detail than I will there and I will be growing three strains as follows. The MAC #1 will not be counted in the contest journal:

Indica leaning hybrid

red-mimosa-xl-auto.jpg

Indica leaning hybrid

Photo by me

Reported Effects: "A powerful euphoric blast is followed by the giggles and munchies with a soothing body effect. Totally relaxing and great after a busy day." Medical: - anti-inflammatory, mood stabilizing
Terpenes: Beta-Caryophyllene at 37.9%, Limonene at 18.9%, Beta-Myrcene at 16.9%, Humulene at 14.7%, and Beta-Pinene at 3.7%

Wonderful choice Carmen! I'm looking forward to watching you grow And cocktails too! YUM! Good growing!

Indica leaning hybrid

red-mimosa-xl-auto.jpg

Indica leaning hybrid

Photo by me

:dude-knocking:

I'm in, Ms. Carmen!

I'll have a Bloody Mary with Absolut, please. :Rasta:

Wet Willy time!

Wonderful choice Carmen! I'm looking forward to watching you grow And cocktails too! YUM! Good growing!
Yay! Thanks Otter and they are in soil already!

I have them in an elongated bucket with the heat mat against one wall, and a cover over the top to warm the atmosphere. They are currently at 24.9 C.

This time I decided to skip the paper towel and planted them directly into the 50% soil to seedling mix. The medium is damper than I am used to at the start. I have taken Gee man's advice and dampened it to the point at which a drip or two will result from a handful being squeezed. I've placed the solo sized plastic pots in turkey bags and sealed them. I prepared them with wicks so that I can pour a little water into the bags and leave them to wick.

Hey Con, welcome to the :party: What can I pour you to drink?
I'm in, Ms. Carmen!

I'll have a Bloody Mary with Absolut, please. :Rasta:
Oooh I think I'll join you GDB, chin chin!

Wow @Carmen Ray, very impressive. Extremely well written intro and explanation of what you have going on. I am especially impressed with the plan around the loadshedding. You’ve obviously put a great deal of thought into this while you were on hold. Awesome. Well it’s a competition isn’t it? Even if only for fun and to display various growing skills and techniques? So let’s see what you got girl! Go for it Carmen!

Oooh....ME TOO!
Coming right up! Tobasco with that?
Wow @Carmen Ray, very impressive. Extremely well written intro and explanation of what you have going on. I am especially impressed with the plan around the loadshedding. You’ve obviously put a great deal of thought into this while you were on hold. Awesome. Well it’s a competition isn’t it? Even if only for fun and to display various growing skills and techniques? So let’s see what you got girl! Go for it Carmen!
Thank you Jon! I'm also kinda hoping I may be able to seek your advice from time to time. For instance, with your knowledge of lighting and autos, do you think I'm in the correct ballpark with my numbers?
What can I get you to drink?
Wow, your serving drinks, I'll have a Gin Gimlet please.

Oh, nice start to your new journal @Carmen Ray

Mind if I tag along?

Stay safe and grow well my friend,
Tok.. :bong:
Omg Tok, my mouth watered. I do like a Gin Gimlet, and may I recommend my favourite Gin, the Triple Three African Botanicals described on their website as follows: " Made with Cape fynbos-inspired botanicals, including Buchu & Rooibos, this truly African gin delivers rich and punchy gin flavour. On The Nose A crack of the seal releases a beautiful bouquet of heart-warming scents. Herbaceous notes of tea leaves, buchu, rooibos, cloves, cedar wood and pine are carefully balanced with aromas of lemon peel, menthol, dark berries, moss and “earthiness”. On The Palate
Complex, herbaceous flavours mixed in to a juicy Juniper Berry character. This then ends off with toasty notes of rich forest honey, maple and almonds. The best choice to add that extra spark to a standard gin and tonic…

Nice to have you along :)

Back
Top Bottom