Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

...or maybe @Krissi Carbone will want to start a new thread focusing on humidity? Her knowledge on the droughting technique is invaluable here. I did copy her and @Maritimer on this the other day. I could not find any mention of low humidity in the droughting discussion. But this information is already out there among growers on other sites.
Another arrow in the quiver for sure. I kind of take what I get since it's hard for me to control humidity and temps, but for those that can it sounds promising.

...or maybe @Krissi Carbone will want to start a new thread focusing on humidity? Her knowledge on the droughting technique is invaluable here. I did copy her and @Maritimer on this the other day. I could not find any mention of low humidity in the droughting discussion. But this information is already out there among growers on other sites.
Miss Krissi is a beast!

(...)
The balcony is on the first floor.

It is away from the street, but when the neighbours have visitors who gather outside their door talking when leaving the people are only 20 feet or so from the plants. I had a close call last grow, I went to got out on the balcony to check the girls when at the last second before I opened the bi-fold doors I noticed 3 dudes on the neighbour's roof treating it for moss. They were so close to seeing, but as they were more concerned with keeping their footing on the pitched roof, so I got away with it. I thought at the time it would have made a great photo, 3 workman earnestly carrying out their jobs while a pound and half of buds was just a few feet from them in the open air! The balcony rail planter boxes tend to give a distracted visual from any the buds that peeking above or thru.(...)

:ganjamon:

He, he, he...

....Well, imagine the scene, when the municipal gardeners went to prune this large Canary Islands palm tree that grows on a sidewalk on a public street, and when the lifting platform raised them to the top, they discovered my friend "Capi" behind his wall in flip flops and underpants sitting on a beach chair surrounded by the strange giant tomato plants that grow every year in the small garden of his humble patio...

Palm tree without pruning
1670848252832.png

1670847888116.png

1670848287677.png

Pruned palm tree
1670848013237.png

¡ Salud !

He, he, he...

....Well, imagine the scene, when the municipal gardeners went to prune this large Canary Islands palm tree that grows on a sidewalk on a public street, and when the lifting platform raised them to the top, they discovered my friend "Capi" behind his wall in flip flops and underpants sitting on a beach chair surrounded by the strange giant tomato plants that grow every year in the small garden of his humble patio...

1670848252832.png

1670847888116.png

1670848287677.png

Pruned palm tree
1670848013237.png

¡ Salud !
That’s pretty damn impressive!!! Wow!!

He, he, he...

1670848252832.png

1670847888116.png

1670848287677.png

Pruned palm tree
1670848013237.png

¡ Salud !
That Tropical sun sure grows some beautiful plants. I always thought that the Florida sun would do the same although it’s not completely Tropical. CL🍀

That Tropical sun sure grows some beautiful plants. I always thought that the Florida sun would do the same although it’s not completely Tropical. CL🍀
Florida sun could be a lot worse! It works pretty well…

This might be a stupid question but how can you grow outdoors with a photo if the sunlight is 12/12? How does it not go into flowering? CL🍀
I’m in Bonita Springs, just south of St Pete. I veg at either 24/0 or 20/4 (if I share the veg tent with an auto) under LED. For the flip to 12/12 I put them outside to live and they flower in the natural 12/12 of outside.

I’m in Bonita Springs, just south of St Pete. I veg at either 24/0 or 20/4 (if I share the veg tent with an auto) under LED. For the flip to 12/12 I put them outside to live and they flower in the natural 12/12 of outside.
Gotcha, you threw me off with your GJ title Winter Outdoors Grow. I drove a truck in Florida I delivered to every KMart from Central Fl. to the Keys. CL🍀

Oh, this is very far from the tropics; much more than Florida... This is approximately 39° North, very far from the sea, and between 700 and 900 meters above its level.

Hey Jon I was wondering do you have any problems with bud rot or mold with the humidity? CL🍀
Hey @CaptainLucky - the first time I tried it here it was late winter when I started and the grow went well into the spring. It gets much more humid at that point, and yes, I wouldn’t exactly say I had consistent issues but there were some. The denser buds I had suffered a little. This grow began a while ago and the last palant is up. It’s only humid overnight now and even that’s not too bad. I’m hoping it won’t be an issue this time.

Update - testing out some 16 day old immature Mulanje seeds - will they pop??

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Earlier in this season's grow I had a lovely Mulanje which I managed to completely ruin. It was 1 of 4 balcony girls that I selectively pollinated on the 7th March. The other 3 have all done well, but the poor Mulanje met an early demise from suspected excess top dressing, altho I also suspect that I may have over watered it also. At the end of it's life I gave it a 150L flush as desperate attempt to restore it, it didn't, but it was a somewhat funny thing to be doing on my first day of having covid, but still, I had to try and save her. It didn't work, and after 3 more days of looking more dead than alive I chopped her, that was on the 23rd March, just 16 days later. So will her 16 day old seeds be viable? They are not dark, they have no nice stripes, they look pretty sad and pale to what we would prefer to see.

5 random seeds from a deteriorating and chopped Mulanje that was pollinated 16 days earlier

A fellow grower from my island in the sea, @Jungle Joseph, recently commented on a 'white' seed of his that he was wondering if it would sprout. His comment prompted me to realise that I have a heap of white immature Mulanje seeds that I can test out.

So, I soaked them for about 18 hours in water with about 20% by volume of 6% H2O2 (I have used both less and more before with no noticeable adverse difference)

After 1 day

After 2 days

After 3 days - 2 have sprouted!!

So who would have picked it? 16 day old seeds and 2 sprouted already after 3 days, maybe another 1 or 2 more will do so too? I must say, I wasn't very confident, so I am a bit surprised. Now I just need to consider what I'm going to do with the sprouts?? :smokin:

<edit> It is the evening of the 3rd day here, and I now notice a 3rd seed has sprouted, so for the record...

<further edit> Camera is recharged, 4th sprout showing by the end of the day!

Thanks for dropping in! :ganjamon:

Well, this year 2022, a curious thing happened to me (at least I had never seen it, and I thought it would only be possible in the hottest and most humid areas): I have a hybrid of two pure sativas (King Congo: Congo Point Noire x South African Ciskei) that after 2 months without care or supervision, developed a few male flowers on a pair of small buds (about the size of a thumb) from which they grow isolated on the lower and shady branches, near the stem. major; some nearby buds have pollinated a little bit, and this past December 7th I found that some seeds were germinating inside their buds...

1670869133522.png

1670869166234.png

Greetings from, I think, your exact antipodes.

Hey @CaptainLucky - the first time I tried it here it was late winter when I started and the grow went well into the spring. It gets much more humid at that point, and yes, I wouldn’t exactly say I had consistent issues but there were some. The denser buds I had suffered a little. This grow began a while ago and the last palant is up. It’s only humid overnight now and even that’s not too bad. I’m hoping it won’t be an issue this time.
Thanks for the info and good luck. CL🍀

Nice work on the cobs brother I look forward to hearing your comparison effects to the sativa cobs you make in the future.
I second all above you made a very interesting thorough report top notch work.
Hey, Sir!
Surely you are the Tangwena that I know... How is everything going in your Southern Hemisphere? Health good? Fishing well? Are you growing any weeds? I don't ask you about the cobs, because I'm sure you still have luxury, heh.
Say hello for me when you talk to my adoptive cousin Hombre del Monte, and another warm greeting to you, with the best wishes for health and luck.

Well, this year 2022, a curious thing happened to me (at least I had never seen it, and I thought it would only be possible in the hottest and most humid areas): I have a hybrid of two pure sativas (King Congo: Congo Point Noire x South African Ciskei) that after 2 months without care or supervision, developed a few male flowers on a pair of small buds
The only plants that consistently hermied on me were from a batch of seeds of unnamed wild African sativas. Might be a thing with those.

Back
Top Bottom