Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

But what I wanted to mention in this post, is that it has been my habit to decarb herb mainly for use prior to sleeping.
Hey @Stunger ,

Have you ever tried CBD for sleep? I was doing a bit of research for an upcoming grow using ACDC, which is advertised to be somewhere between 16:1 and 20:1 CBD:THC and came across this Video.

It's a group of medical professionals discussing using CBD in their practices and one of them made the comment that she views that cannabinoid as a SPA treatment for the body since it does so well with Sleep, Pain, and Anxiety.

I don't think it would put you to sleep but it is supposed to promote both REM and Deep Sleep leading to a very refreshing night's rest. I've also read that THC can actually interfere with one or both of those sleep cycles.

Don't have any experience with it yet as the grow is still a few months off but I'm excited about the possibilities.

Cheers!

Hey @Stunger ,

Have you ever tried CBD for sleep? I was doing a bit of research for an upcoming grow using ACDC, which is advertised to be somewhere between 16:1 and 20:1 CBD:THC and came across this Video.

It's a group of medical professionals discussing using CBD in their practices and one of them made the comment that she views that cannabinoid as a SPA treatment for the body since it does so well with Sleep, Pain, and Anxiety.

I don't think it would put you to sleep but it is supposed to promote both REM and Deep Sleep leading to a very refreshing night's rest. I've also read that THC can actually interfere with one or both of those sleep cycles.

Don't have any experience with it yet as the grow is still a few months off but I'm excited about the possibilities.

Cheers!
Cheers Azi, I last grew a CBD plant a couple of year's ago, an auto plant that sadly yielded little. I still have half a jar that I decarbed. I only used it a few times and quite liked the mild feel good 'buzz' but I have never tried it for sleeping, so good point, I'll give it a go!

Supposedly CBD can enhance THC up to a point and then it starts acting as a counterbalance.

I wonder how one would tell if they got good sleep? Just feel good in the morning? Maybe if you had some sort of monitor like a Fitbit?

Anyway I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after trying it.

The best thing about the sativas I grow is there is no ceiling. Smoke and get high. Smoke a bit more and get higher. Repeat until you pass out and sleep like a log haha.
I can attest to that! :) Those samplies I got from you were fire.

Supposedly CBD can enhance THC up to a point and then it starts acting as a counterbalance.

I wonder how one would tell if they got good sleep? Just feel good in the morning? Maybe if you had some sort of monitor like a Fitbit?

Anyway I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after trying it.
I did try it before sleeping last night. I consumed a generous amount. Previously with my CBD herb I have only vaped it, as it was only a small plant (CBD Express auto) and didn't provide much yield but I think it was said to have up to 21% CBD. My jarred CBD herb is also 2.5 years old. But the upshot was, that it didn't give the same sleep assistance as consuming some decarbed THC herb. It very possibly would be helped if I took it regularly as sometimes you have to let the body get used to it before it starts working. It was certainly worth trying but I feel my regular consumption of decarbed THC herb works very well.

When you ask how would you tell if you got good sleep? I can only go on my 'wake up feeling', and that can feel like I have been in some sort of deep sleep paralysis where I literally feel so relaxed I don't toss about or move about much at all, and when I wake up it feels like I have slept soundly for the whole night.

The best thing about the sativas I grow is there is no ceiling. Smoke and get high. Smoke a bit more and get higher. Repeat until you pass out and sleep like a log haha.
I tend to get that when I consume decarbed, as one can consume more than vaping. When I vape, I tend to reach a point when I feel my lungs have had enough and I back off. But after you wrote that, last night I had 2 dynavaps of Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje and 3 dynavaps of Purple Honduras/Panama in a row, which I think I have only ever done 3 in a row previously. But you're right it does increase the high, but for me I feel I need to not go too overboard via the lung route. So far I haven't decarbed any of my sativa herb as I am trying to make it last, and consuming it as an edible tends to use it up quicker, altho for my current grow I will look to make some Cobs if all goes well.

Sparkly trichs on that sample of droughted weed Stunger. I might try it one day.
I am a firm believer in droughting and it's ability to cause the plant to produce more oils/resin like they do to increase essential oil levels in other herbal plants. I think even a gentle droughting would provoke a favourable response in the plant.

I’ve never tried smoking till you pass out but I love a good Sativa in the morning. CL🍀

@Stunger this season I've been exploring the possibility -- expressed in various sites on the web -- that low humidity in late flowering increases trichome growth. It made me wonder if the effect you ascribe to droughting could be essentially owing to low humidity. Low humidity would be a by-product of droughting. You can't really drought without creating a low humidity environment. I wasn't able to find an answer in the @Krissi Carbone droughting thread or in @Maritimer's posts, but I wanted to tap into their knowledge on this point.

I did test this out in my own grow to a limited extent on my late-flowering tropical sativas, which I am growing at 47N. It wouldn't be possible in a strictly outdoor grow unless the climate is warm and very dry in late autumn. But if you have a sealable grow area like a greenhouse it can be done. For example, after I seal up the covered growing area from the cold and wet, it's like a greenhouse. When the sun comes out, the temperature inside rises and the humidity drops to as low as 30% RH. I can't say I've measured them, but I've observed that the trichomes respond favourably to that low humidity and some sugar leaves have grown that coating of resin on the exterior that you got on your accidental drought some years back. I never had that happen before, but I got some of that this year.

Have you run across the humidity aspect of the droughting technique?

@Stunger this season I've been exploring the possibility -- expressed in various sites on the web -- that low humidity in late flowering increases trichome growth. It made me wonder if the effect you ascribe to droughting could be essentially owing to low humidity. Low humidity would be a by-product of droughting. You can't really drought without creating a low humidity environment. I wasn't able to find an answer in the @Krissi Carbone droughting thread or in @Maritimer's posts, but I wanted to tap into their knowledge on this point.

I did test this out in my own grow to a limited extent on my late-flowering tropical sativas, which I am growing at 47N. It wouldn't be possible in a strictly outdoor grow unless the climate is warm and very dry in late autumn. But if you have a sealable grow area like a greenhouse it can be done. For example, after I seal up the covered growing area from the cold and wet, it's like a greenhouse. When the sun comes out, the temperature inside rises and the humidity drops to as low as 30% RH. I can't say I've measured them, but I've observed that the trichomes respond favourably to that low humidity and some sugar leaves have grown that coating of resin on the exterior that you got on your accidental drought some years back. I never had that happen before, but I got some of that this year.

Have you run across the humidity aspect of the droughting technique?
Good points you make @Emeraldo, all coming from experience and questioning what you see (the best way). I am a beginner on droughting but the positive attributed effects of droughting make sense to me. I hadn't considered the humidity aspect on trichome development, but it makes a lot sense that there will be a point where low humidity causes a plant to 'freak out' a little and produce a bit more oil/resin to ward off water loss. I guess it is all about giving some stress but yet allowing it to live, and that in practice can be a tricky tightrope to walk.

Good points you make @Emeraldo, all coming from experience and questioning what you see (the best way). I am a beginner on droughting but the positive attributed effects of droughting make sense to me. I hadn't considered the humidity aspect on trichome development, but it makes a lot sense that there will be a point where low humidity causes a plant to 'freak out' a little and produce a bit more oil/resin to ward off water loss. I guess it is all about giving some stress but yet allowing it to live, and that in practice can be a tricky tightrope to walk.
The Role of Trichomes and Resin in Warding off Water Loss in a Low Humidity Environment: That resinous coating you've talked so much about is said in some discussions to be a plant response to prevent loss of moisture, basically the plant seals itself off from the too dry environment in an effort to stay alive. And low humidity at say 30-35% is said by some to trigger increased trichomes and resin. I haven't been able to follow the entire discussion in the voluminous Droughting Thread, but I thought that maybe low humidity had come up in the discussion as a driver for increased potency. I'm not even a beginner when it comes to droughting, and have followed your efforts last year. Indoor and greenhouse growers would be in a position to test the humidity hypothesis, if I can call it that, and just wondered if anyone has info on that. My late-flowering Super Malawi Haze and NL5 x Haze plants seem to love the low humidity. The thing is, I have NOT skimped on watering!

The Role of Trichomes and Resin in Warding off Water Loss in a Low Humidity Environment: That resinous coating you've talked so much about is said in some discussions to be a plant response to prevent loss of moisture, basically the plant seals itself off from the too dry environment in an effort to stay alive. And low humidity at say 30-35% is said by some to trigger increased trichomes and resin. I haven't been able to follow the entire discussion in the voluminous Droughting Thread, but I thought that maybe low humidity had come up in the discussion as a driver for increased potency. I'm not even a beginner when it comes to droughting, and have followed your efforts last year. Indoor and greenhouse growers would be in a position to test the humidity hypothesis, if I can call it that, and just wondered if anyone has info on that. My late-flowering Super Malawi Haze and NL5 x Haze plants seem to love the low humidity. The thing is, I have NOT skimped on watering!

I would guess that even if you haven't skimped on watering the roots, that low humidity causing increased transpiration could still provoke a drought type response. But either way, the buds have some very appealing trichome frost to them!

I would guess that even if you haven't skimped on watering the roots, that low humidity causing increased transpiration could still provoke a drought type response. But either way, the buds have some very appealing trichome frost to them!
Thanks Stunger. I've been just drizzling maybe a liter of water over the top of the soil once a week for the last month. Evaporation is now slowed, so less water needed. But I've not done any droughting. Even without droughting, the low humidity of the ambient air, at around 30-35% RH, seems to accelerate trichome growth.

So I am going out on a limb in the dark here, botanically speaking. It seems there are two plant responses. Droughting in late flowering produces a plant that is repeatedly wilted for lack of water. The droughting itself also produces an environment of low humidity. This is said to result in greater potency. But which is it -- the droughting or the low humidity -- that would produce that result? If low humidity applied without droughting also enhances potency, then growers would not need to subject the plants to the stress of wilting.

It might be worth while to make a test with low humidity alone, giving enough water in late flowering but keeping RH low, at 30%. The plant's increased trichome response might be owing to just the dry air, not the lack of water in the soil. It's worth an experiment, and maybe someone with an indoor setup would like to try it. Just saying. Here a few links:

2.) Environment: Alter Temperature & Humidity Near Harvest (Advanced)

The main thing to remember when it comes to altering your grow environment for the last 2-3 weeks before harvest is this:
  • Humidity below 30% – Drop the humidity of the grow space below 30% RH for last 2-3 weeks before harvest to increase trichome production
  • Temperature between 70-80°F – Make sure your temperature stays under 80°F (26°C) to ensure potency is not being baked right off your buds.
There are a couple of ways to lower the humidity while maintaining the right temperature:
  • Dehumidifier – brings humidity down while giving off heat and increasing temperature; the more powerful the better
  • Air Conditioner – brings humidity down while cooling the air
In extreme cases, I’ve heard of growers using both an AC and a dehumidifier at the same time to maintain that perfect temperature while dropping the humidity very low.

Thanks Stunger. I've been just drizzling maybe a liter of water over the top of the soil once a week for the last month. Evaporation is now slowed, so less water needed. But I've not done any droughting. Even without droughting, the low humidity of the ambient air, at around 30-35% RH, seems to accelerate trichome growth.

So I am going out on a limb in the dark here, botanically speaking. It seems there are two plant responses. Droughting in late flowering produces a plant that is repeatedly wilted for lack of water. The droughting itself also produces an environment of low humidity. This is said to result in greater potency. But which is it -- the droughting or the low humidity -- that would produce that result? If low humidity applied without droughting also enhances potency, then growers would not need to subject the plants to the stress of wilting.

It might be worth while to make a test with low humidity alone, giving enough water in late flowering but keeping RH low, at 30%. The plant's increased trichome response might be owing to just the dry air, not the lack of water in the soil. It's worth an experiment, and maybe someone with an indoor setup would like to try it. Just saying.
I can add a little - from experience - in both my 5x5 and my 3x3, due to the ambient temperature and RH in this season, when I’ve been in flower the last two grows, specially including that last auto grow, I’ve had to use the AC as always here and that has had my last two grows flower out at around 35% RH, some days lower. For the entirety of flower. And in my last two grows I have had trichome development that has dusted what I’ve gotten in the past (you saw my kief pile, lol). A big huge noticeable difference. And the only real difference between these last two grows and the previous ones is exactly that - the RH flower level. Before I was at more like 50% for flower. So I’m just tossing it out there as a small piece of potential anecdotal evidence. Interesting discussion.

I think either way, whether droughting at the root/soil level or low humidity causing increased transpiration, that both can cause some 'water stress', which to me stands to reason that they would bring about similar responses. Good observation on your behalf.
I look forward to when the curing's finished and the testing begins. You've grown some great strains this grow!:ganjamon:

I can add a little - from experience - in both my 5x5 and my 3x3, due to the ambient temperature and RH in this season, when I’ve been in flower the last two grows, specially including that last auto grow, I’ve had to use the AC as always here and that has had my last two grows flower out at around 35% RH, some days lower. For the entirety of flower. And in my last two grows I have had trichome development that has dusted what I’ve gotten in the past (you saw my kief pile, lol). A big huge noticeable difference. And the only real difference between these last two grows and the previous ones is exactly that - the RH flower level. Before I was at more like 50% for flower. So I’m just tossing it out there as a small piece of potential anecdotal evidence. Interesting discussion.
The connection between trichome development and low humidity is really interesting and something I have never considered before, altho in my case there is not a lot I can do unless I want to go to the trouble of enclosing my grow etc. But for those who grow indoors and can manipulate the humidity then wow, that seems a cool way to cause a useful boost to the frost development.

ks Stunger. I've been just drizzling maybe a liter of water over the top of the soil once a week for the last month. Evaporation is now slowed, so less water needed. But I've not done any droughting. Even without droughting, the low humidity of the ambient air, at around 30-35% RH, seems to accelerate trichome growth.

It might be worth while to make a test with low humidity alone, giving enough water in late flowering but keeping RH low, at 30%. The plant's increased trichome response might be owing to just the dry air, not the lack of water in the soil. It's worth an experiment, and maybe someone with an indoor setup would like to try it. Just saying. Here a few links:

Make Your Buds Sparkle With More Trichomes | Grow Weed Easy

2.) Environment: Alter Temperature & Humidity Near Harvest (Advanced)

The main thing to remember when it comes to altering your grow environment for the last 2-3 weeks before harvest is this:
  • Humidity below 30% – Drop the humidity of the grow space below 30% RH for last 2-3 weeks before harvest to increase trichome production
  • Temperature between 70-80°F – Make sure your temperature stays under 80°F (26°C) to ensure potency is not being baked right off your buds.
There are a couple of ways to lower the humidity while maintaining the right temperature:
  • Dehumidifier – brings humidity down while giving off heat and increasing temperature; the more powerful the better
  • Air Conditioner – brings humidity down while cooling the air
In extreme cases, I’ve heard of growers using both an AC and a dehumidifier at the same time to maintain that perfect temperature while dropping the humidity very low.
Very interesting @Emeraldo.

You should cross post this over in the draughting thread. The crew over there is always looking for other ways or tells to accomplish the enhanced trichome effect.

...or maybe @Krissi Carbone will want to start a new thread focusing on humidity? Her knowledge on the droughting technique is invaluable here. I did copy her and @Maritimer on this the other day. I could not find any mention of low humidity in the droughting discussion. But this information is already out there among growers on other sites.

Back
Top Bottom