Stunger's Organic Balcony: Growing Daughters Of Mulanje: Watering Via Root Aeration Chambers

Thanks Deeve. It's less magic and more bumbling along rolling with the punches!

Haha @StoneOtter, I will probably get on my bike next week and take a loop through certain a walking/riding path with a lot of wood chips around and see if I can spot any psilocybin mushrooms coming up as it should be around the time for them. But failing that, I was wondering about trying to get hold of some seeds of the Zamaldelica strain, which is said to give a strong effect and a bit psychedelic too, dunno cos you have to take so many descriptions with a grain of salt, but it does sound good. Is there a strain you know of that achieves that?

Hey Uncle I just took a whiff, but there's not really much happening yet aroma wise, the HP's buds are still in the white pompom stage but they are progressing, it is going to be interesting how well they mature with the approach of winter so near, fingers crossed of course!

Hey Stunger. I found this article about weed strains that can be psychedelic:

Most Psychedelic Weed Strains

The article says:

Most trippy weed strains have high THC content and are produced through controlled breeding programs. Both Indica, Sativa, or hybrid strains can qualify as psychedelic weed. What matters is the terpene profile and psychoactive compound content of the plant.

The article also lists some strains that are trippy.

Hey Stunger. I found this article about weed strains that can be psychedelic:

Most Psychedelic Weed Strains

The article says:

Most trippy weed strains have high THC content and are produced through controlled breeding programs. Both Indica, Sativa, or hybrid strains can qualify as psychedelic weed. What matters is the terpene profile and psychoactive compound content of the plant.

The article also lists some strains that are trippy.
Thanks HG, that is an interesting read! I recently searched on Reddit to see if folks were able to relate not just the strain but breeder too as for me I much prefer to know I was at least investing in a half year grow with the right genetics. I do think that the grow environment can contribute a lot to a stunning result or just average too. And then the other thing I found, was that many of the suggestions were small breeders or ones that my usual suppliers for my location don't stock.
But if someone has a good candidate I am happy to note it down and put on my personal 'alert' list!

Thanks HG, that is an interesting read! I recently searched on Reddit to see if folks were able to relate not just the strain but breeder too as for me I much prefer to know I was at least investing in a half year grow with the right genetics. I do think that the grow environment can contribute a lot to a stunning result or just average too. And then the other thing I found, was that many of the suggestions were small breeders or ones that my usual suppliers for my location don't stock.
But if someone has a good candidate I am happy to note it down and put on my personal 'alert' list!
I’m considering for my next grow a Congolese and Kwazulu. You might want to check them out. Happy growing. CL🍀

@Stunger, update -- with closeups -- please! Are they getting close? Cheers
Sorry @Emeraldo, there hasn't been a lot to say and less to post!

I have made a few cobs from some of the Mulanje Sherbert, which is very greasy and sticky and I think it will turn out very well. She is very nice to vape. Currently the cobs I made are 'fermenting' in my compost bin because it is producing a lovely warm heat which I felt would be more all encompassing than leaving them to rest on the stereo amplifier. I pulled them out over the weekend for a check, they looked and smelt great, so I re vac-sealed them and put them back in the compost to continue their ferment stage. I will probably take them out for inspection after about 4 weeks, have an early 'tester', then re vac-seal them for the cure stage. I intend to knock up a post at that point with some pics of them at the different stages so far, and hopefully something positive to report on testing them, altho they say it is best to wait for at least 3 months, and ideally a year or more!

The Mulanje HP is going fine, still green and what recovered looks healthy, probably still several weeks yet before her buds will be ready. There won't be a lot of her, but enough to test and appreciate her qualities.

We are currently having rain and wind every day, I need reasonably good light for closeups. Once the sun comes out I intend to take a few pics and do an update post. Other than that, not a lot is happening fast, just waiting for the weather to cooperate. Altho my cob post will probably be another 2 weeks.
I’m considering for my next grow a Congolese and Kwazulu. You might want to check them out. Happy growing. CL🍀
Cheers @CaptainLucky, as it is nearing my 'off-season' I have been enjoying many nights browsing through a lot of seed strains. I love some of the more exotic ones, especially landraces. I feel we don't hear enough of them and I wonder what special qualities do they have that we are missing out on and could be benefiting from.

I read some on the Kwazula which looked to be really great and tempting.

I did look previously for a Congo strain that turned out not available at that time.

I saw too, the Kilimanjaro, which is apparently known as 'elephant flattener', that alone intrigues.

I'm tempted with Super Lemon Haze and Zamaldelica too. It's mental, ya got to know when to stop as otherwise there's not enough years left to grow them all.

I saw a very striking red pistiled strain advertised altho I don't want to be led aside by looks, I would rather find a great high, effects and potency! I had some fantastic Columbian Gold in the early/mid 1980's, and I see there is now several Columbian Gold strains being offered, but I don't have the confidence that they will be anything like what I had back then, and that's the trouble, growing out seeds takes a long time commitment and if you make it to the very end you don't want it to be underwhelming.

It is interesting and fun to find strains being advertised and then try to google up some personal smoke reports of it, but often cannot find anything and it all takes time doing so.

Sorry @Emeraldo, there hasn't been a lot to say and less to post!

I have made a few cobs from some of the Mulanje Sherbert, which is very greasy and sticky and I think it will turn out very well. She is very nice to vape. Currently the cobs I made are 'fermenting' in my compost bin because it is producing a lovely warm heat which I felt would be more all encompassing than leaving them to rest on the stereo amplifier. I pulled them out over the weekend for a check, they looked and smelt great, so I re vac-sealed them and put them back in the compost to continue their ferment stage. I will probably take them out for inspection after about 4 weeks, have an early 'tester', then re vac-seal them for the cure stage. I intend to knock up a post at that point with some pics of them at the different stages so far, and hopefully something positive to report on testing them, altho they say it is best to wait for at least 3 months, and ideally a year or more!

The Mulanje HP is going fine, still green and what recovered looks healthy, probably still several weeks yet before her buds will be ready. There won't be a lot of her, but enough to test and appreciate her qualities.

We are currently having rain and wind every day, I need reasonably good light for closeups. Once the sun comes out I intend to take a few pics and do an update post. Other than that, not a lot is happening fast, just waiting for the weather to cooperate. Altho my cob post will probably be another 2 weeks.

Cheers @CaptainLucky, as it is nearing my 'off-season' I have been enjoying many nights browsing through a lot of seed strains. I love some of the more exotic ones, especially landraces. I feel we don't hear enough of them and I wonder what special qualities do they have that we are missing out on and could be benefiting from.

I read some on the Kwazula which looked to be really great and tempting.

I did look previously for a Congo strain that turned out not available at that time.

I saw too, the Kilimanjaro, which is apparently known as 'elephant them all.

I saw a very striking red pistiled strain advertised altho I don't want to be led aside by looks, I would rather find a great high, effects and potency! I had some fantastic Columbian Gold in the early/mid 1980's, and I see there is now several Columbian Gold strains being offered, but I don't have the confidence that they will be anything like what I had back then, and that's the trouble, growing out seeds takes a long time commitment and if you make it to the very end you don't want it to be underwhelming.

It is interesting and fun to find strains being advertised and then try to google up some personal smoke reports of it, but often cannot find anything and it all takes time doing so.
Yeah I know what you mean and I also was checking out the Killimanjarro. I already have some of those Colombian Gold seeds that I will also be growing with my next grow. I forget which ones but I noticed a few that have a lot shorter flowering times. I’m finally going to flip my Golden Tiger tomorrow. Happy growing amigo. CL🍀

Update - Mulanje HP the remnant lives on

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! We've been hit by a lot of wind and rain this last couple of weeks, that was the story of our summer too. Last week some of the wind was so intensely strong all the roofs of the other houses had white vapour clouds spilling off them like mountain summits. Our city was again put in to another state of emergency from more flooding.

The upshot is, the Mulanje HP got damaged. It was initially hexlined, and after my 'over watering apocalypse' I had to remove 5 of the 6 stems with just one stem regenerating. However with rapid growth it grew 2 new stems. The regenerating stem started to died so I removed that, and then the strong winds ripped one of the new stems off and laid the plant horizontal with more damage. So now the Mulanje HP is a remnant, and down to a single stem. After being drowned in rainfall she is surprisingly green and has 'moon rock' style buds that look like it will only give half an ounce at most. But while she wants to live I'll let her carry on for a bit longer. She was germinated at the end of September and is now 7.5 months old.

Mulanje HP 3 weeks ago with 3 stems

1 week ago after being flattened by the wind and 1 stem torn off and regenerating stem failing

Yesterday with just 1 stem remaining

I will do a post in a week or two about the cob making that I have undertaken with the Mulanje Sherbert which has shown itself to be a really powerful smoke.

After 3 days of not being online I now have 540 notifications to go through, I might have to skip thru them a bit as it becomes quite a mission playing catchup with them all.
Anyway, cheers for dropping in, and I hope you and your gardening are doing great! :ganjamon:

She's a survivor!
She's going to get her job done, whatever it takes...👍

Survivor is right! I’d be inclined to call her Beyoncé if she were mine 😄
That Kilimanjaro sounds pretty dang interesting, I vote for that one! Well done Stunger, that lil balcony of yours puts out some impressive results. :bravo:

Anything you get after the battering that plant has taken is amazing!
Thanks Shed, yes exactly!
She's a survivor!
She's going to get her job done, whatever it takes...👍
Cheers Carcass, yip she's not going down without a fight!
Anything that she produces is going to be awesome and since you thought she was done for I’d be happy with anything. CL🍀
Thanks CL, she's still producing for me!
Sometimes the bud off a plant that has struggled as much as your HP x M is, well, you wish you had more!
Cheers Emeraldo, yes indeed!
What a blow!
Thanks Otter, in production terms a disappointment, but great clarifying lesson on watering which is a bonus!
Survivor is right! I’d be inclined to call her Beyoncé if she were mine 😄
That Kilimanjaro sounds pretty dang interesting, I vote for that one! Well done Stunger, that lil balcony of yours puts out some impressive results. :bravo:
Cheers HH, the balcony has been great for my needs, and helps teach me some lessons too!

Update - Mulanje HP

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! The remnant continues to survive! She's had no extra feeding or water from me over the 6 weeks, just rainfall, she still remains remarkably green. In the last 2 weeks we have had a lot of high winds and rain. Last week one part of the city recorded 143 kph, but in my location it was probably just a breezy 90kph. She was knocked down horizontal to the point that I have to put a bamboo stake in the pot to hold her up, otherwise she collapses like a fallen t-shirt. From the wind damage, she seems to be ripped off from the main trunk base and just hanging on by her roots under the soil. It's fairly unorthodox growing progress but at this point I am not going to turn away a maverick!

Her buds are fairly airy, but I think in general that is more normal for my plants that grow outside and often get hit by high winds and rain.

She has a quite piercing 'pinesol' stem rub smell and a nice stickiness.

The last 3 closeups were taken of a small piece of 'tester' that had got severed in the winds. It is a very nice smoke already, powerful like the Mulanje Sherbert but with a very gentle soft embrace to go with it.

Next, I will look to post a report on my cob making with the Mulanje Sherbert.
Thanks for swinging by, I hope you and your gardens are going great! :ganjamon:

With all of what the Mulanje HP has been through, maybe she'll be more potent because of it.

They look like they're still a long way from finishing. When does it get too cold outside to garden where you live?

Next, I will look to post a report on my cob making with the Mulanje Sherbert.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do this. I'm thinking about trying one this year.

Looks really frosty in the closeups, but the flower shots have that "I messed up my lights and it revegged but now it's back in flower" look to them! Maybe that's just what survival mode looks like.
Yes Shed, survival mode for sure I think.

Last week she was drowned in rain every single day which caused all its leaves to droop down but she's perked them up again and she's still green too. The small tester I had a couple of days ago showed that she is already very very nice.
With all of what the Mulanje HP has been through, maybe she'll be more potent because of it.

They look like they're still a long way from finishing. When does it get too cold outside to garden where you live?
It is my feeling and limited experience that stresses on the plant can lead to greater potency, and it can't hurt to hope for that here!

We get a few days close to zero C a year, but winter starts next month and it can be very wet, windy, and dark, so we'll see what happens, so far it's looking very promising that she will carry on. I will keep her going for 2 more weeks if she's up for it!
I'm looking forward to seeing how you do this. I'm thinking about trying one this year.
Cheers HG, my cobs are currently buried in a warm compost bin for the 'fermenting' stage of the cobbing process. I will 'dig them out' soon and take some pics and do a post, before re vac-sealing them for the 'curing' stage.

Yes Shed, survival mode for sure I think.

Last week she was drowned in rain every single day which caused all its leaves to droop down but she's perked them up again and she's still green too. The small tester I had a couple of days ago showed that she is already very very nice.

It is my feeling and limited experience that stresses on the plant can lead to greater potency, and it can't hurt to hope for that here!

We get a few days close to zero C a year, but winter starts next month and it can be very wet, windy, and dark, so we'll see what happens, so far it's looking very promising that she will carry on. I will keep her going for 2 more weeks if she's up for it!

Cheers HG, my cobs are currently buried in a warm compost bin for the 'fermenting' stage of the cobbing process. I will 'dig them out' soon and take some pics and do a post, before re vac-sealing them for the 'curing' stage.
What a Survivor and you gotta love 💕 a fighter. CL🍀

Update - Cob making

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! This post is about 'cobs'. From my recent harvest of Mulanje Sherbert I have made some cobs which I'll soon tuck away and forget about while I let them 'cure'. Cobs are said to be good after a 3 month cure, but 1 year or more is even better.

But in the meantime, I will do this post to show that making cobs is pretty straight forward, but of course excelling in them comes from experience, as there are an infinite number of variations that can be created by differences in the moistness of buds used, to the time and duration of the 'sweat' and 'ferment' stages, and not to mention the strain used.

This is only my second time making cobs so I make no claim of expertise but instead I just want to show the process I took for any who may be interested. I would have preferred to have used 100% sativa but I didn't have that as an option so I used the Mulanje Sherbert which is 70% sativa, which I have found from vaping to be very powerful.

Cobbing

Tangwena's thread is a rich resource; Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

Here is repuk's excellent cob making overview flowchart copied from the thread; Cobbing: The Essentials
where more detail and further flowcharts can be found.

Overview

1686205244924.png

Making the cobs

Starting off with some buds and a sushi roller to help shape and compress them

Buds ready for compressing

Buds rolled compressed to cob shape

Cob wrapped and tied ready for vac sealing

Vac sealed

The 'Sweat' stage - 24 hours @ 40C

After sweating, I removed their wrapping and twine, and re vac-sealed them. I did this so I could check their progress during the ferment stage through the clear vac-seal plastic without having to cut them open, but as it turned out I never ended up utilising that, altho I did re vac-seal them twice in the ferment stage. I now have a lot of confidence in the benefit of vac-sealing which takes out virtually all of the air which tremendously reduces the risk of any mold forming.

The 'Ferment' stage - 6 weeks

I ended up keeping mine in the ferment stage for 6 weeks. Initially it was my intention to leave my cobs wrapped in a towel on top of the stereo amplifier, but I didn't really feel confident that the surface heat of roughly 28C would translate into a suffused even heating of the cobs.

So, I decided to wrap my vac-sealed cobs tightly in 2 plastic bags, and then encase them in a wire cage to protect against any rodents, and then bury them in the compost pile for a nice warm cosy even heat.

The bottom of the garden is overgrown and easy to get lost, but eventually we found the compost pile.

Haha about the bottom of my garden, but I wish it was like that, I could then enjoy a toke or have a bit of mushroom and enjoy a lovely wander through the undergrowth! Thanks to @Cold Jack for the pic!

Cobs ready for their 'ferment' stage in the compost heap

After 6 weeks of being nice and toasty, I have already shaken off a bunch of worms. I could smell the funky terpiness even at this point fresh out of the compost, I am guessing the worms could too.

Some visual comparisons over time

After a 24 hour 'sweat' stage

After 3 weeks in the 'ferment' stage

After 6 weeks in the 'ferment' stage

Closeups

A little bit of testing

Without waiting for the 'cure' stage to begin, I cut off a small piece about the size of one end of a cotton bud. After 30-40 minutes I could feel a familiar tingle through to the finger tips and a body awareness of it's effect starting. For a bit hit I think combustion gives the best that I have had, but these days with not wanting to stress the lungs too much I opt for vaping which also can also produce a very good 'hit'.

But in my experience in consuming edibles, which is usually either decarbed bud or cob, the effect is different. Of course, if you take too much edible you can blast off even more than combusting or vaping! But I noticed after 3.5 hours of taking the cob piece that I was quite high. I like the blast off I get with vaping (especially this strain) but I also like the long gentle enhancement to my day that having an edible like a cob brings.

I think as I get older that my future in bud is going to be far less of vaping and more utilising cobs, decarbed buds and perhaps some sort of extracts.

But anyway, for now I will let these fermented cobs dry, then I will re vac-seal them to be put away for a nice long cure stage.

Thanks for swinging by, I hope you and your gardens are going great!

Back
Top Bottom