Stunger's Organic Balcony: Growing Daughters Of Mulanje: Watering Via Root Aeration Chambers

Wow! Awesome. Almost looks like you're droughting them.... Oh, wait.....
Thanks Azi, I did 'drought' her, letting her pot go feather light and leaves drooping twice, not as severe as my droughting last year but I feel enough to bring on a droughting response. It's very sticky, I cut off a juicy sparkly bud the other day to take some closeup pics, I placed it on the ground as I continued with the plant and later inadvertently squished it for a few seconds with my foot as I thought 'thats nice and soft', before I realised what I had my big hoof on, that sort of ruined it for photography purposes!
Hi @Stunger is your HPxM still recovering, has she put out new growth?
Cheers Emeraldo, the new growth stems that the plant put out still have nice fresh leaves and pompoms but overall the rest of the plant is struggling, so I might as well let it go for as long as it wants to while I consider whether to create some SIPS planters for the next grow which won't kick off for another 5 months at the earliest. 😐
Good morning Stung!

My favourite grow enthusiast :)

Those glitter shots look just lovely!
Thanks Tra!

Thats some serious purpling you got going Stung. Love a good purple hue, but thats next level.

What are your overnights like in terms of temp out there?

Those purples might not technically make it any more potent, but it sure does something to the brain with the added visual appeal!
Unless it's straight on genetics, the purpling often indicates an issue with uptaking P, which is not absorbed well at low temps. Outdoors you don't have much choice, but some indoor growers deliberately lower temps to bring on the color.

Since it is often a sign of deficiencies and will therefore lead to not maximizing out a harvest I don't know why one would deliberately want to do it but, as I said, outdoors you ain't got much choice.

Unless it's straight on genetics, the purpling often indicates an issue with uptaking P, which is not absorbed well at low temps.
Is that right hey?

Whats at play here? Circulatory system or root tips?
Since it is often a sign of deficiencies and will therefore lead to not maximizing out a harvest I don't know why one would deliberately want to do it but, as I said, outdoors you ain't got much choice.
I see your point mate, but sometimes cool shit is just cool shit haha.

Id be hard pressed to tell the difference after the swell, but I know which bag Id get a pic of.

Thats some serious purpling you got going Stung. Love a good purple hue, but thats next level.

What are your overnights like in terms of temp out there?

Those purples might not technically make it any more potent, but it sure does something to the brain with the added visual appeal!
The purple does look nice, seems to happen to a lot in April when temps drop towards the low - mid teens Celsius.

I have no idea if it adds anything of benefit to us. But I think there is an awful lot of cannabinoids that very little is known about and even less of the unique combinations that different strains offer.
Unless it's straight on genetics, the purpling often indicates an issue with uptaking P, which is not absorbed well at low temps. Outdoors you don't have much choice, but some indoor growers deliberately lower temps to bring on the color.

Funnily enough its mother was a Mango Sherbert who would also purple in cooling temps, and the father a Mulanje of which I saw no purpling and I chopped that once I got the pollen. But a grow buddy I shared some of the seeds with, some his outdoor plants showed 'inky' splotches of purple at the centre of the fans in Spring then reduced in Summer when I saw neither with either parent who made the seeds.

But in this case I think it is more just cooling temps, which as you suggest could be a P deficiency, I had no idea.

You are probably correct about not maximising harvest, but I wonder how that can be measured other than perfect looking plants, when environmentally challenged plants can be more potent but less 'pretty'. It could be possible that a deficiency, whether it be nutrient or water or whatever, could bring about something positive as far potency, effects, or health benefits go, maybe, just thought!

Cheers Uncle! I will have to consider whether I should revert to kicking them off later to keep their size down, as when I kicked them off later they seemed to get to maturity fairly easily. Whereas longer vegging and bigger canopies and roots that get stressed over the long veg.. yeah.. hmmm...

Here's a pic from a later started grow, they're smaller but still productive, I think the middle one was just under 11oz.
full
like Ludwig`s philosophy "less is more "
10 x 3 = almost 2 Lbs 👍 :peace:

The purple does look nice, seems to happen to a lot in April when temps drop towards the low - mid teens Celsius.

I have no idea if it adds anything of benefit to us. But I think there is an awful lot of cannabinoids that very little is known about and even less of the unique combinations that different strains offer.

Funnily enough its mother was a Mango Sherbert who would also purple in cooling temps, and the father a Mulanje of which I saw no purpling and I chopped that once I got the pollen. But a grow buddy I shared some of the seeds with, some his outdoor plants showed 'inky' splotches of purple at the centre of the fans in Spring then reduced in Summer when I saw neither with either parent who made the seeds.

But in this case I think it is more just cooling temps, which as you suggest could be a P deficiency, I had no idea.

You are probably correct about not maximising harvest, but I wonder how that can be measured other than perfect looking plants, when environmentally challenged plants can be more potent but less 'pretty'. It could be possible that a deficiency, whether it be nutrient or water or whatever, could bring about something positive as far potency, effects, or health benefits go, maybe, just thought!
Interesting theory 🤔, I have no idea if it’s true but it’s interesting anyway. CL🍀

Cheers Emeraldo, the new growth stems that the plant put out still have nice fresh leaves and pompoms but overall the rest of the plant is struggling, so I might as well let it go for as long as it wants to while I consider whether to create some SIPS planters for the next grow which won't kick off for another 5 months at the earliest. 😐

Thanks Tra!
Well, well, well... Lol! @Stunger, I'd like to suggest constructively that maybe you could grow one in freshly mixed super soil, without the hydration chambers. Oops, aeration! Lol. Really sorry for your loss, hope you find the cause or arrive at a solution. In the meantime you'll have the luscious Mango Sherbet x Mulanje plus a little HPxM. Not too shabby, heh!

Is that right hey?

Whats at play here? Circulatory system or root tips?
Check out this write-up on P-Phosphorus by way of of @ReservoirDog .

You are probably correct about not maximising harvest, but I wonder how that can be measured other than perfect looking plants, when environmentally challenged plants can be more potent but less 'pretty'.
My only point was if you do it deliberately for the colors you should be aware you are causing a deficiency although late enough in flower maybe it doesn't matter all that much.

But, depending on your objectives, stressing the plant for no herbal benefits seems like something I wouldn't want to do. I do drought my plants, but that's different. ;)

Check out this write-up on P-Phosphorus by way of of @ReservoirDog .
Thanks Azi, didnt really touch on my questions though.

Its pretty common in early tomatoes, the lower leaves go a bluey purple in cold temps.

Not everything is equal, but they tend to thrive and grow out of it as soon as they get their legs under in better temps. By that I mean they dont seem to suffer in terms of top growth, lateral nodes or flower. I mean that not just from my own garden, but in commercial production of hothouse hydroponic tomatoes of differing varieties.

Ive experimented with giving them ( Tommys) a PK as a ready to use mix, instantly available. I never got any more production at home.

Not sure Id buy in too far with loss of yields, in my opinion wouldnt be more than a few percentage points unless it was a total lockout issue.

In the end Im just small time and growing in boutique quantities wouldnt worry me as much.

@DV8 , I haven't seen anything that addresses your question about foliage or root temps, but your observations on tomatoes would like carry over to canna.

And you're right, late in the grow it likely wouldn't have much substantive impact.

I just thought I'd pass along that purpling can often be a sign of deficiency cause by temps for those that weren't aware. So, with that knowledge a grower could either adjust for it or use it like you do to invoke the colors.

like Ludwig`s philosophy "less is more "
10 x 3 = almost 2 Lbs 👍 :peace:
Cheers Uncle, I have been banging different approaches, including something like your example and doing so with more but smaller plants, choices choices.
Interesting theory 🤔, I have no idea if it’s true but it’s interesting anyway. CL🍀
Cheers CL, yes who knows but sometimes fun to speculate.
Well, well, well... Lol! @Stunger, I'd like to suggest constructively that maybe you could grow one in freshly mixed super soil, without the hydration chambers. Oops, aeration! Lol. Really sorry for your loss, hope you find the cause or arrive at a solution. In the meantime you'll have the luscious Mango Sherbet x Mulanje plus a little HPxM. Not too shabby, heh!
Thanks Emeraldo, in the meantime I should still do alright. My mind is now is tossing around for what's next.
My only point was if you do it deliberately for the colors you should be aware you are causing a deficiency although late enough in flower maybe it doesn't matter all that much.

But, depending on your objectives, stressing the plant for no herbal benefits seems like something I wouldn't want to do. I do drought my plants, but that's different. ;)
Cheers Azi, yes not intentional just incidental, and since it happens I might as well enjoy the 'visual' of the colour!

Cheers Uncle, I have been banging different approaches, including something like your example and doing so with more but smaller plants, choices choices.

Cheers CL, yes who knows but sometimes fun to speculate.

Thanks Emeraldo, in the meantime I should still do alright. My mind is now is tossing around for what's next.

Cheers Azi, yes not intentional just incidental, and since it happens I might as well enjoy the 'visual' of the colour!
Thinking about that 🤔 it would make for an interesting experiment if anyone was so inclined. CL🍀

Beautiful flower pics Stunger, and pardon my absence! I hope this guy met his doom in the cold night air:
full

I have no idea if it adds anything of benefit to us.
Here's a little info about purple flowers, first brought to my attention years ago by @TheMadDabber:
"Anthocyanins are a group of deep red, purple and blue pigments found in plants. They’re part of a larger category of plant-based chemicals called flavonoids. Fruits, vegetables and grains with red, purple, blue or black hues tend to be rich in anthocyanins."

Here's a little info about purple flowers, first brought to my attention years ago by @TheMadDabber:
"Anthocyanins are a group of deep red, purple and blue pigments found in plants. They’re part of a larger category of plant-based chemicals called flavonoids. Fruits, vegetables and grains with red, purple, blue or black hues tend to be rich in anthocyanins."
I wonder if Reason #3 is hidden behind a pay wall. :hmmmm:

Beautiful flower pics Stunger, and pardon my absence! I hope this guy met his doom in the cold night air:
full

Thanks Shed, I think the cooling temps are not what they want, but not long to go now.

Update - Mulanje Sherbert - partial harvest - trichome closeups - some popcorn testers

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! I will follow this with an update on the Mulanje HP as I have taken some pics of both.

The Mulanje Sherbert's colas have been heavy, pungent, and sticky to the point of almost feeling wet. Her colours have gone from green to aging purples now as the night temps cool. Some of her bats were starting to die off or at least appear like the plant was beginning to favour other stems with the fans collapsing. I initially grew out 3 nodes pairs and 4 of themwere beginning to show their time, the colas all looked good just the fans were showing that if left on they weren't going to get fed any more, so rather than leave them under the sun so I removed those 4 branches and they're now drying.

That leaves just 2 branches remaining, with the plant now left sporting half a dozen colas

Trichomes closeups

Her trichomes are showing some progress from when I last looked a few days ago, some ambers but not many, and more clear progressing to cloudy.

Testing some early popcorn buds

Over the last week I have tested some 3rd rate popcorn buds that I picked off a week or so ago, and I found them pretty good, they seemed very close to last year's sativa buds.

With that used up and vaped, in the last few days I cut off some slightly better buds, still popcorn, 2nd rate. But wow, it's really very strong. I am used to vaping and having edibles every day so I was a little bit surprised, pleasantly so.
Anyway, I'll get another update off soon for the other plant. Cheers for swinging by! :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom