DV8's Deviance

Well here we go. I never would have thought to have started an ongoing journal but lets do it.

Ill get some updates up shortly
Hey @DV8 :ciao:

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill

Heres where Im at. A general over view.

Ive been getting a bunch of seeds in from the Sponsors | 420 MAGAZINE ®

being @CoffeeShopSeeds over a couple months. Honestly their pricing, delivery and sales support has been excellent.

They've had an ongoing 420 member promo for quite a while. Its been a real game changer to get Barney's Farm seeds so consistenly down here. Their range is huge, seeds from a huge number of breeders, great freebies and promos.

Checkout is super simple and effective, and they understand the nature of not only the postage but conditions down here. More on that further down.

So this year with things beginning to become the new normal, after multiple lockdowns and restrictions, and here we have arrived at the end of the true "outdoors" season and into harvest.

Jay has been a grow buddy for a cpl years, and this year was easily his best grow and harvest yet. Going forward we are switching into indoors during the autumn, winter, early spring period.

The numbers will be smaller than outdoors, having a perpetual grow though will be better for yearly yeild, and help us jump into the outdoors season early.

Smaller plants and clones can be prepped and hardened to be advanced as soon as the spring weather is good enough to sustain a grow. Sunshine is free, and we get a lot of it, the downside is the winters are freezing, and wet here.

So I have had a bit of experience but it was a long time ago. Considering I have a child that is now of voting age and it was before then, its safe to say its a new challenge once more haha!

Today Im headed off to pick up a setup. Its at a reasonable price and has pretty much everything to get started should everything function correctly.

Light, scrubber, fans, dehumid, tent. Bare bones basic. This will serve as the transition area until the new property is ready. Hopefully shouldnt be more than 7 more weeks.

Being such a short time frame it would be foolhardy to begin a grow, but I have 4 plants need finishing, and harvest hang.

Beyond that the idea is to grow two solid plants, an auto or two, and have 2 seedlings coming up to take their place. So 6 max.

See the tricky part for me is navigating the labyrinth of legality and open interpretation of the laws. I say labyrinth as its layered in differing laws depending on the act, and quantities, which make no sense in relation to one another. Really at the mercy of the situation and response to it.

Basically it goes like this, not all of Aus of course, just my part.

Just the act of intent can land you on the wrong side of it. Carrying a bucket of water can be seen as cultivation. And while strictly speaking cultivation is not distribution, it can be added depending on the amount of cannabis that can be attributed to you, not just dry packaged material, seeds, the actual live plants can be used to calculate the outcome.

Importation is another tricky one, again with its own set of laws.

The clear cut part is once you exceed 10 plants, certain dry weights, or certain numbers of seeds, your defence of personal use is waived entirely. Beyond those thresholds its no longer treated as anything other than a criminal justice matter.

Below they can assign a diversion status, lesser charges are entered, and it results in a fine and only remains on record for a limited time. Wholly discretionary though, and its up to the authority to decide.

On top of all that indoors and outdoors are seen as different status. The mere act of being under a light can be interpreted differently.

Total minefield. Any how, Ive always seen it as passive activism to grow in my state. Rebellion to unjust laws and legality.

I adopted that position when the state government (who makes the laws and legislation) got voted in 1998 who declared they would decriminalise its use and grow status under certain thresholds. They won convincingly mind, but heres what actually happened.

Instead of a blanket black and white adoption, they made it discretionary. Up to the authorities to determine. Not enshrined, not legislated beyond doubt, watered down as a pivot to a social issue, rather than a legal one.

You could (and can) still be charged and found as commiting a criminal act, even under the thresholds.

Disgraceful. Utter cowardice. So its my protest in response. I need not say anymore on the matter.

Ill get some pics up over the next day or two. And if you've got this far Welcome!

Tent in possession.

Heres the thing. Most, and I mean nearly all, transactions involve some drama, and sometimes photos are really bad, over selling the item.

Today was a great surprise. The lady was welcoming, polite, thoughtful and the items were in great condition, her pics did not do it all justice. She had obviously looked after her gear.

I feel like I kinda got a bargain, even after I talked her down in price, I ended up giving her half the negotiated difference back, she was just so lovely, throwing extras in.

We talked weed for a good 45mins solid whilst packing the tent and accessories up. She wanted to leave the tent set up to show me everything. It was really great, gonna make sure some beans go her way for next outdoors, help a fellow grower out.

Thats what I love about the canna community, when great people get together with a wink and nod and leave an interaction with more after its finished. Super chuffed.

Heres the girls.

Northern Lights Auto
Gorilla Glue #4 Auto
Photo reg outdoors .

Screenshot_20220507-161439_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220507-155547_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220507-155524_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220507-155500_Gallery.jpg

As you can see the N values have dropped too low, poor girls are fighting the fade.

The Photo has some purple tips coming in on the sugar leaves. Its cold enough. Gonna be 2C o/n this week. Fn cold.

Today I got a loupe, not quite what I was after but good enough to take a better pic.

Screenshot_20220507-155419_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220507-155406_Gallery.jpg

That all sounds great DV8, what a nice uplifting feel good experience the tent & gear buy was, they're the best sort of transactions! It's all starting to come to together, by Spring you'll hopefully be moved in, set up, and doing great. The legality is unfortunately still a confusing can't win PITA, let's hope that changes in time.

Cheers mate.

Theres gonna be some spit talking between now and then! Haha.

Still a handful of things to keep interest between now and then.

PM got a hold on the 4, thats something I never had on Canna before.

Ive never pushed a plant past Mothers day. With the containment, sheltered, these girls will go late late.

Bit of an eye opener actually, those views in the loupe showed them a fair way behind what I had sort of begun to believe.

They smell heavy. Look fullish. But looking at them up close, they are still under with not much sun ahead.

I think they go to end of life before they are ripe. Under fed, thrips, PM, all robbed them. They and their siblings to too long to start in flower.

Maybe get some purples pull out.

I will get a chance to dial in the tent before its needed for a grow. That takes pressure off. Double as a hanging space, oml, the smell in my shed was next level on the last hang. Really tricky to pull a cross breeze in to move it.

Jays got some more Autos hes started on.

@Trala has 2 things shes doing that interest me, her new nutes and her training. Its nice to observe without being committed. Very comfortable way to spend the wintery part of the year.

And once we get there, just paddocks to the north, when means excellent orientation, and the shed was always built to advantage a grow.

Well the cool nights are in and the purples are spreading. One more week I think, Im pushing it as is. Being the 2 last of the girls Im kinda hoping to retrieve something.

Ill get a pic later this week. The tips have spread to some ways down the sugar leaves, big difference 2 nights have made.

They look tight, unusually so for outdoors, at least in my experience. Might be a response to the abuse, overwatered, to underwatered, then underfed, then low temps.

Some of the prettiest fade Ive ever had, especially with the purple highlights.

Ive outlined a bit about Subs in my off topic, got a message from a mate hes found a patch over weekend, a mountain hike (look they are really hills speaking to an international audience) looks likely in the next couple of weeks.

I get a different kind of excited for the mushrooms.

Ill put updates over there. But its really turning my gears to hear the season is open.

Boring as it is heres the update late week.

Went back up bush to shift all my cages, wires, water buckets, and rescue the soil.

Originally I was going to dump. I ended up on the day deciding to keep it, and the spot. If I dumped up there I could probably not grow there again, but I had a mid week reprieve from work so had time to carry out. Between shifting the cages and grabbing the soil I broke into a serious sweat.

Cursed myself for dragging an extra 80 litres up there I never used! The water not so much. But heres the thing. Packed up and locked up I sat looking at the back end of the hill. From my vantage point on the roof, I could see the canopy drop away not too far away on the downslope.

Took a quick walk and there a rocky escarpment where nothing grows, with excellent open sky views to the North.

The best bit? Downhill! All that time I was 180 degrees going uphill with buckets full, and down with empty, next time, Ill take a few 1000 litres and just pump once downhill.

With a proper watering system you could well go not just days but weeks without tending. Id be happy twice per 3 week period, top dress, examine, feed. Its worth the outside risk of animals, failed water, and pests as a trade off for low commitment and footprint.

This year I had my trials with solar input pumping and watering. My mistake was too little reservoir, and too much filtration added to top ups being uphill. This new spot would pretty much be ideal.

Be space enough for 5, possibly more. In ground 5 would be max, probably 4 but you get much bigger plants. In containers maybe 6 or 7.

I kind of like containers as you can shift, follow the sun as it pitches higher and lower to more or less, and move if needed in case of threats. But they are always, always smaller.

7 to 9 total, between home (indoors and greenhouse) and outdoors (bush) would be very doable.

Any way it did nothing but rain for about last 30 hours. So I started moving my shed stuff this week, and packing up most of my gardening/canna equipment. Might get the tent up yet. Or build a drying box/seedling nursery. Or both haha. About 4x4x6ft be ideal. I got the new plant itch bad atm. Have to defer to Js until such time.

Till chop thats all I got. Cheers.

Well I knew Id be pushing my luck taking the girls into fog, rain, low air circulation, aka Winter, and its bitten me today. Just nearing dark I spotted the sure sign of budrot/botrytis.

Only on one plant, two buds, but after the PM, its clear they are in the danger zone sitting so close.

Wife was hollering about not putting a tent up, after hollering a couple weeks earlier about the smell of drying. Dont know which way to turn. I mean she has a point on both accounts, I wont be unfair to her, just have no idea how to get these done without smell without a tent!

Anyhow in response I went to the hardware and started putting together a stealthy cupboard. Kinda like a mullet. All business at the front party at the back.

The teal question is what comes first, cupboard and chop, or budrot. Clock is ticking.

Could have had the tent up and running in the time it took me to go to hardware, come home, remember wordwork tools were in storage, go pick them up and come home again. And without the diesel and dollar cost.

Single handedly keeping the economy ticking over.

Ok, so finished my makeshift drying enclosed area. Tend to get a bit over zealous with my endeavours sometimes. So after I looked at me handiwork, I went to go look at the plants.

One of the main colas on the other has an issue with budrot too. It was facing on the side I couldnt see, but I was gently shifting them around in a 360 one by one to get a goid look at every bud, both by eyeball and magnification.

As soon as her turned her near side it was clear as day. On top of that I spotted the tell tale webbing of spider mites. There was a few but I suspect its about the right time for the population explosion.

Silly to complain, its all neglect. They will come down early morn tomorrow when its dry and can haul them into shelter for trim to stay under radar.

Set light, filter, dehumid, ducting, and fans up today, proper test. Everything checked out beautifully, in fact its almost perfectly dialled in by the time I went for dinner, mid 20s temp, perfect RH, good airflow.

Filter noise is insane. In an attempt to rectify it covering the draw fan I juggled and dropped the filter, bent the collar. I was so mad. I massaged it to shape and it fitted more snug than factory!

Bit ordinary the repair, so many of my tools offsite or I could have smoothed it to near perfect.

I think Ill trade it out, too big, too loud for my liking, and go a 4 inch preferably down from a 6.

A 4 inch goes 100mm which is ten times easier to duct and line up. I have Untold amounts of storm piping in that size and fittings.
Those silver coils everyone notices, but regular old pvc with a custom baffle barely raise an eyebrow. More energy efficient too in a 4. Should cover 2 plants no problem.

Thats me today. Word heavy no pics.

Test day today on the new dry space.

I was so over these plants.

Scroll for pics. Trimmed, and hung. Like me after going to a hairdressers. Cut out carefully the two mains with rot. The second bigger one just gonna dump, its a bit patchy too much risk. Did those first and cleaned and santised carefully. Time will tell.

Shame those top two mains looked good.

Took a pic of the GG auto. Haha! Be about 2g dry fml. Or should that be fmg, g for grow.

But I put it up for sh!ts and giggles. Northern lights auto be kinda the same. But in for a penny, in for a pound. In this case in for a penny, and out with a penny.

So thats it, today is like day 0 again. Look I just left the numeral because some people say nought, and some say zero.

Heres pics. Until I move this thread gonna be really vacant probably. You're welcome to unsub. Be mostly off topic from here, unless something dramatic happens, which lets face it, is always a possibility lurking.

Thanks for stopping in.

Screenshot_20220515-140325_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220515-140334_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220515-140341_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220515-140347_Gallery.jpg

Hey DV I just read your journal and I'm sorry you got the bud rot and spider mites, but that sweet deal on the tent setup is most fortunate. Are you guerilla growing? I'm in awe.

Hey DV I just read your journal and I'm sorry you got the bud rot and spider mites, but that sweet deal on the tent setup is most fortunate.
You're telling me. She kept it all in beautiful condition, all working magnificent.
Are you guerilla growing? I'm in awe.
Pretty much yeah. Had a few out bush, and a few at home. Ended up a shit show, but had fun.

You're catching the tail end.

I spend a bit of time involved in another friends cultivation that I dont put in here other than an odd comment.

Few weeks should be tent ready. Sept start Outdoors again in earnest. Just in a holding pattern for now.

Thanks for stopping by!

So heres go a little aside.

There was a guy with some grow gear up for sale. I went back and forth for a bit. We arrived at a price. 2 x tents (too cheap to pass up), and a heap of electrics. Although it cost a bit, I did OT today. Hes still got lights, so negotiations are ongoing.

Feeling pumped, well he had a sad tale, but paid fair price. Cinderella is nearly ready for the ball, just need the ballroom to open up.

Cheers

Looks like weve settled on a price so at the risk of counting chickens Im gonna try pick up tonight. I wont mention them as I dont think they are on the list of approved suppliers, look most my gear isnt but I cant help it when Im boot strapping bargains.

To be honest if any the sponsors wanna send me free stuff without obligation other than to use and report back my pm is open.

Speaking of off topic Subs, Subs, Subs. Go check out my off topic link in my signature, as the season is open, the photos and tales will be mine in an area that is permitted to discuss.

(Purely ID and season updates for now, I have no idea if consumption or tales are even permitted)

Have an awesome day, things are just warming up to slightly interesting.

Cheers.

Words words words.

Promise to do better.

Got lights.
So now I have the Mars Hydro Ts1000.

Adding to that, just secured another 1000w and a decent 2000W, combined retail value around 1k. I feel like that should be enough for my plans. Ill have to find a name for them, like to refer to them.

Maybe like 1-K & 2-K or something.

Rain coming so the subs will soon be in focus. Ill try and do a how to over at off topic on harvest and drying.

On that topic it was day 10 today, for the cupboard hang. Look, I never weighed it, but should be straight forward.

So heres the update. No additional mould. Win. RH and temps have been pretty good, its been a drier than Id like, and temps a bit lower, but had no wild excessive peaks over (+75% RH or +20C)

They smell great. Like mid level skunky & a real sweet top note. I feel like I could eat one.

And I am hardly a seasoned dryer or curer, so such a nice crispy feel, easy snap stems, and trichs reflecting the interior lighting make me really happy.

They arent dense, mostly open and airy, holding their shape. They did undergo an unsupervised droughting, so 10 days hang and their final appearance is as much as I could ask for.

So without a cure and report heres my final thoughts on the grow.

I really made a bunch of mistakes along the way. Too many plants, too far away, pests, male/s, too long into the wet season, no set additives, too little N, poor performing autos.

But I learnt a lot. I did finally get a chronological illustrated journal. I definitely bit off more than I could chew. While my grow buddy expands his grow and genetics, Im aiming to be a lot more structured, simplified, and targeted.

Proper supervision, trade made lighting, proven feminised genetics, better training techniques, smaller numbers, specific calculated inputs, correct equipment, better environmental management, seasonal adjustments.

They are the aims, to set benchmarks for my grows. Im learning.

Another grower made me realise something, maybe very obvious to others, during my time here at 420.

My ideas need to be challenged, tested, with process and results evaluated. I would like to think Im well on my way, and have much left to test and try.

Well the curing been a bit of a juggle. No way known have I given them enough burping, forgot yesterday completely, and not till this evening.

Think they went in a wee bit early, I reckon they need a day or two re hung. That said, some of the smells are really good, almost wanna spark up a few billabongs.

Finished testing all the new equipment appears to work as it should. I need good news, house build still ongoing, the year is disappearing almost as fast as my patience.

I just realised its Sat Night local time, I could sneak in a cheeky roller.

Back
Top Bottom