Emeraldo's 2020 West-Facing Balcony Grow

Man, on the news we're seeing some pretty fierce red skies over California. I hope you continue to remain out of harm's way there.

Thanks for that Stunger. Yes, the fires continue. No, not (yet) near where we are. The smoke impairs vision. The skies have been so smokey that the sun is diminished to a white disc. In the evening, reddish of course (with all the great benefits to cannabis flowering, lol). If you are in denial about climate change, come to California. It is real. Not a hoax.

All day long yesterday, the temperatures were cooler because the sun is blotted out. Cooler temperatures a day after the heat of 104 F the day before. Nice for flowering... humidity is also a touch higher, at 40%. Look for the silver lining...

I guess cooler temperatures, higher humidity, and less light all will help the plants ripen, though. At least the plants can continue to ripen. Seriously feels like fall all of a sudden.

Well anyway, here is our favorite bud again today, having had a photo op. This bud now has about 60% milky trichomes, 35% clear and bits of amber. I may still wait a day or two with this bud, she is farther along than most on the plant so am hopeful it will be soon. Looking forward.

I'd imagine that with all the fierce weather and the bush fire affected day light you're having, that it would most likely provoke the plants to 'resin up' a bit. Interesting to hear of your preliminary testing! Of course when trying new bud for the first time/s I feel it does hit you more, probably for it's 'newness'.

I wonder with the ash in the air that you're getting whether you'll try the bud washing this time. I would have liked to last time but it just wasn't practical for me. I have never done it before, but when reading about it, it seems there are a few different 'washes' being used, some use lemon juice, others just peroxide. I would have to research it again if I were to try it, although last time I came away thinking that just washing with the peroxide solution would have been my choice but now I forget quite why that was.

That AG cola looks very very nice, the plants seem to be relishing the conditions and care you're giving them!

The wind was so violent the other day, Tuesday it was, that all the white pistils were like rubbed off. On every plant. In their place are tiny darkened membranes from the pistils. Rust colored hairs, only extremely fine. This was from the wind blowing the plants about so strongly the pistils collided with everything around them.

So today, two days later, I looked and saw that in many places the pistils are emerging once again. That is a good sign, and if these plants have another month to go, I assume that long at least, then pistils will probably be abundant again. Not that pistils are strong in psycho-active properties.

Fortunately, the trichomes seem to have been unharmed. They are pretty tough. Yes, I will wash my harvest this year. All that ash, dust, shit, bugs, aphids, worms, worm crap. Definitely going to wash. I have all the stuff I need and will do it systematically with baking soda, lemon juice + peroxide, and plain water. All done in one shower and hung on the rod.

I'd imagine that with all the fierce weather and the bush fire affected day light you're having, that it would most likely provoke the plants to 'resin up' a bit. Interesting to hear of your preliminary testing! Of course when trying new bud for the first time/s I feel it does hit you more, probably for it's 'newness'.

How about removal of pistils as provoking the plants to intensify trichome production?

While inspecting the plants this morning I saw that not all plants lost all pistils. Dream Berry and Blackberry bud structure is such that the pistils weren't colliding with other objects during that windstorm on Tuesday. Dream Berry's pistils seem mostly intact because her branches are vertical and not tied to any hard object, hence were not flung against the railing, they were just blown back and forth as a group.

White Widow had beautiful delicate pistils like I had never seen before but they are gone, just those very fine brownish hairs were left after that storm.

However, today the White Widow is pushing pistil again! Not that pistils are psychoactive, they're not (according to several threads here on 420). What intrigues me is the idea that the plant, in recovering from that beating, is yes pushing pistils again but also could possibly produce new trichomes as well and with added intensity. The WW had not yet gotten very frosty, so perhaps that is yet to come.

Our AG bud continues to ripen. Today trichomes maybe 60% cloudy (still), 35% clear with bits of amber trichomes. Am thinking of harvesting that bud and/or a few others similarly far along on Sunday.

Here a few more photos to illustrate the windstorm damage, mainly to the White Widow's pistils, which took a beating, particularly on some of the buds that were not securely tied and were free to blow about. But there is a nice shot here of the mainstem bud that did not get harmed as much.

Compared to WW, Dream Berry fared much better coming out of the windstorm. Actually, some of her branches were bent by the high winds, from standing vertically to lying flat, but I bent them back up and they're holding. The bud struction of Dream Berry also seems to have protected its buds from damage.

There's certainly a profusion of pistils on the WW.
The AG looks pretty sodden with trichomes, I am curious as to how you find the AG in early testing compared to the Mexican Sativa a couple of grows ago, will the Sativa effect be similar or completely different.

There's certainly a profusion of pistils on the WW.
The AG looks pretty sodden with trichomes, I am curious as to how you find the AG in early testing compared to the Mexican Sativa a couple of grows ago, will the Sativa effect be similar or completely different.

Yes, WW is after all not as damaged as it seemed at first. Looking closer, there is just that, a profusion of pistils! Yee Haw!
:yahoo:

As for the AG, I've tried early samples of bud four times so far. I harvested a bit of bud every other day on Sept 2, 4, 6, and 8. I tried to get bud with cloudy trikes, but it was still mostly clear at first. Yesterday I smoked a nice fat one rolled with bud from Sept 8 and it was very nice. A nice smooth smoke, even quick dried on the boiler for two days. Mostly a head high still, though a better one, and getting stronger. Clear, uplifting, stimulating, energizing. I'd say it is a lot like Mexican Sativa. I detect a better smoothness, easiness to the high, no disorientation, am totally able to function.

Bud from Sept 10, yesterday, is still on the water heater and will be ready to try tomorrow. I am really looking forward to that one because in the digital microscope I could see more milky trikes than before. It was maybe 50/50%. Am waiting for a body buzz as the breeder did indicate there ought to be one.

Now what I cut tomorrow, Sept 12, will have probably 65% milky and hopefully around 30% clear.

I'm thinking of harvesting the ripest buds today or tomorrow. Checking this morning, I see the trichomes are now about 70% milky-cloudy and maybe 20% are still clear on our bud in the photo from yesterday evening (in the photo below, our bud is just below and to the left of the top bud. Checking also in numerous buds, there are quite a few with 70% milky, some however still have about 50% clear. Many can wait another week. Pistil-whipped last Tuesday, those plentiful pistils are not yet making any kind of dramatic return... Maybe they'll come back over the next few days, prompting me to wait longer.

Some buds ripen more quickly than others. The AG buds that are ripe now always had sun because of their position on the plant. You can see how the AG bud branches are always pointing in the direction of the sunlight, both higher up on the plant (sunlight coming over the roof from the East in early morning, buds grew towards that light) and lower branches growing off to the right (lots of light coming from the NW sky in the afternoon made the buds head out over the railing).

Here's another ripe bud I checked today, also at 70%. Obviously I need to wash, just look at the ash and other dirt on the leaves. So I'll get the shower set up with three 5-gal buckets and a rod to hang the bud on. More on that later.

Blackberry, needs another month at least.

White Widow, recovering nicely from her pistil-whipping.

Dream Berry, going to have some compact buds. Btw, Dream Berry's mainstem is the pretty low down, the third from the bottom of the stems on the left. The others above are vertical offshoots, many of which reached 5 feet.

Scuzi, I need to get in there to take care of stuff, honey

Acapulco Gold. Interesting how most of the 6 branches harvested today were the lower front, more on the right side of yesterday's picture. The one mid-range was the bud we were looking at, closer up but on the upper left side in the photo, two nodes down from the top. I thought bud at the top was said to ripen first, but then I did hear that some plants prefer to start at the bottom where there is ample sun. This plants lower branches had sun from early in the morning until sundown and they were 70% milky today. Further up on the plant, trichomes are still predominantly clear. Six branches are washed and are hanging in the dark shower with a fan on to keep the breeze going, temp at 78 F. Will take a few more tomorrow. Then I'll wait a while a see what happens. :)

@Stunger Smoke report: Ground the bud on the water heater, rolled two and smoked one. It's a smooth smoke, not harsh. Its a bit of a creeper, doesn't hit you right away, takes a few minutes. But the high that came today, with the bud that was about 50% cloudy, was really pleasant, strong, and long lasting. Not underwhelming, it was a substantial high and there is now a body buzz to it. Will report back with new developments.

Acapulco Gold today after a second round of colas harvested. Ten more ripe colas hanging after a washing in the shower. Temperature 75F, humidity 50%. The rest, about seven colas depending on how you cut them, will stay on for at least another week. Many are still clear, even on the top cola.

Acapulco Gold had gotten so big, I could hardly see around her to give Blackberry any attention from this side. Now, for the first time since July, we can see Blackberry's northeast side... and her west side is now easily accessible thanks to the wire cutters.

Blackberry (5 photos)

White Widow with Dream Berry

G13 Haze

Gold Leaf

Flowering season...

@Stunger Smoke report: Ground the bud on the water heater, rolled two and smoked one. It's a smooth smoke, not harsh. Its a bit of a creeper, doesn't hit you right away, takes a few minutes. But the high that came today, with the but that was about 50% cloudy, was really pleasant, strong, and long lasting. Not underwhelming, it was a substantial high and there is now a body buzz to it. Will report back with new developments.

If you like Central American sativas, Barney's and Sensi each have one to try. Both are good. What are the differences? I've copied the below stats from seedfinder.eu (comments in parentheses are mine).

Sensi Seeds' Mexican Sativa Outdoor:
(Genetics: Mexican Oaxaka x Pakistani Hash Plant x Durban)
Flowering: September - October (I grew MS 2018 at 47 N lattitude and harvested Nov 3)
Height: 200-300 cm (After topping twice, my MS slowed and finished at about 150 cm)
Yield: up to 250 gr, plant
Flowering time: 9-12 week
THC: 18%
CBD: 1,3%

Barney's Farm Acapulco Gold Outdoor:
Genetics: Central American (Barney says little about the "Central American" genetics but claims they are "improved")
Yield: 500 gr/m² (This is very believable, given the yield I've been harvesting...)
Height: 70 - 80 cm (I guess this 80cm height is just for indoor grows, lol; my AG was about 2.75 meters)
Flowering time: 70 - 75 Days (mine started pre-flowered starting around July 4, pistils July 10)
Harvest time: Mid October (Maybe this is true for cooler climates. I grew AG 2020 at 38 N lattitude and harvested part Sept 12/13 and will again in later Sept)
THC: High%
CBD: 0.7%

With Mexican Sativa, the genetics are a global cross, making it a great choice for cooler climates. I grew her at 47N in 2018 along with Jamaican Pearl, check out my 2018 grow here: Jamaican Pearl The high from smoking Mexican Sativa is an intensely cerebral, exhilarating, stimulating experience with a mild body buzz. Pleasant and uplifting, the body is relaxed and the head clear, a good strain for daytime use. The body buzz is secondary, the head high is more prominent. The high is of medium length. Decent CBD of 1.3%.

With Acapulco Gold, the genetics are not transparent but Barney says AG is at least partly Oaxakan. AG certainly grew well this summer in California at 38N, but I cannot speak to how she would fare in cooler climates. The high is cerebral, strong, intense, very pleasant, euphoric, and long lasting. The AG's body buzz is pleasant and relaxing, a bit stronger than that of the MS, CBD is however less than MS at 0.7%. This is a great strain for daytime.

Acapulco Gold today after a second round of colas harvested. Ten more ripe colas hanging after a washing in the shower. Temperature 75F, humidity 50%. The rest, about seven colas depending on how you cut them, will stay on for at least another week. Many are still clear, even on the top cola.

Acapulco Gold had gotten so big, I could hardly see around her to give Blackberry any attention from this side. Now, for the first time since July, we can see Blackberry's northeast side... and her west side is now easily accessible thanks to the wire cutters.

Blackberry (5 photos)

White Widow with Dream Berry

G13 Haze

Gold Leaf

Flowering season...
Beautiful girls

Gold Leaf is in flower. Only thing is, buds form only where the sun shines, and that is, in her case, over the raingutter. Still we can imagine...

Gold Leaf had a rough time in the wind, getting scraped along that raingutter.

Blackberry Grand Tetons. The four colas bent downward was a topped branch that put out four. I bent her over recently to open up the canopy and shed light into the other part of the plant.

Blackberry has been the surprize of this grow. She was hidden behind the photogenic Acapulco Gold most of the season, and I was so busy with the AG I really didn't notice how her bud structure was developing. But now she really has burst into flower. Trichomes mostly clear at this point. She is a medium THC with a "decent" CBD. Looking forward to this indica-clone x raspberry cough hybrid!

Back
Top Bottom