Seven Hazes

Emeraldo

Greetings all 420 enthusiasts and welcome to my Seven Hazes grow journal. Earlier this Spring I posted a broad selection of strains for 2022, but I later felt the scope of the "old school" project lacked focus. As a concept it did not seem to offer any real insights. Then, after some older seeds I was counting on failed to germinate, I was forced to change the lineup. So I narrowed the selection down to seven haze strains, all regulars except one, and I got several seedlings from each of them:

Purple Haze x Malawi
Malawi
Super Malawi Haze
NL#5 x Haze
Durban-Thai Highflyer x C99 x Thai-Tannic
Michka
Super Lemon Haze (fem)

So now the plants are in pre-flower, having gotten past the trickiest seedling stage I've ever had with heat wave, underwatering, and a minor K-deficiency. The seven female hazes are now 10 weeks from seed. Here I will be exploring issues and insights relating to growing late-flowering hazes, the longest flowering strain in the group being PHxM with an estimated 15 or 16 weeks of flowering time.

Hey does anyone recognise this leaf damage? What could cause this? Compare the two photos.

This photo taken this morning, about 10 hours ago. There is some leaf damage starting to show.

This was taken 10 minutes ago:

The plants were all treated with neem oil + safer soap this morning -- after the first photo was taken. If this is broad mites damage, I suppose I am on the right track with neem. However, I have never had this kind of damage and just wonder if it couldn't be something else.

I've done some checking and it seems insecticidal soap should not be used on recently transplanted plants, and the plants in question were transplanted two days ago. Does anyone have any experience with that?

What should I do? Remove the affected/infected leaves?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Hey does anyone recognise this leaf damage? What could cause this? Compare the two photos.

This photo taken this morning, about 10 hours ago. There is some leaf damage starting to show.

The plants were all treated with neem oil + safer soap this morning -- after the first photo was taken. If this is broad mites damage, I suppose I am on the right track with neem. However, I have never had this kind of damage and just wonder if it couldn't be something else.

I've done some checking and it seems insecticidal soap should not be used on recently transplanted plants, and the plants in question were transplanted two days ago. Does anyone have any experience with that?

But just in case, what concentration of neem and soap did you use?

Edit: Nope I was wrong about that, sorry. Removed it.

@Melville Hobbes thanks! In about 600ml of water, I added 1 tsp of neem oil plus 1 tsp of safer soap, which were the amounts indicated on the labels of both products.

At first I thought of broad mites, but am not at all sure about that.

I saw on the safer soap instructions not to use that stuff on recently transplanted young plants. I did a bit of checking and saw that the soap can cause burning/scorching of leaves. I didn't think that would apply to mine which are quite mature now at 10 weeks, and while I've used safer soap before I have not applied it to 10 week old plants either.

While the Malawi is most affected, PHxM is also mildly affected. But not all plants are affected, and even the Malawi is at this point only showing this kind of damage on a few of the more recent upper fan leaves.

@Melville Hobbes thanks! In about 600ml of water, I added 1 tsp of neem oil plus 1 tsp of safer soap, which were the amounts indicated on the labels of both products.

At first I thought of broad mites, but am not at all sure about that.

I saw on the safer soap instructions not to use that stuff on recently transplanted young plants. I did a bit of checking and saw that the soap can cause burning/scorching of leaves. I didn't think that would apply to mine which are quite mature now at 10 weeks, and while I've used safer soap before I have not applied it to 10 week old plants either.
Could your mix be a bit strong? I used 5ml of neem, 2ml Safer's in 1 litre of water, but I transplanted in May.

Yes Melville, it could be. But 1 teaspoon is exactly 5 ml. Maybe I went overboard on the safer's.

I will watch the strength of that in future. Amazing, I had no idea recently transplanted plants would have a problem. Anyway, I will be watching the plants over the next few days to see what happens. If it gets worse, then well, that's bad! Thanks!

In the past I've used neem mixed with a surgical soap that was milder. Safer soap is strong stuff. I drenched all seven plants with the mix yesterday, and one strain, Malawi, in particular looks scorched on the upper leaves. I hope she recovers!

Looks more like a deficiency, rather than pest damage to me. Does this help?
cannabis-nutrient-deficiencies-and-excesses-chart.jpg

Thanks @Amadeus Forzin the scorching has stopped after a short time, and seems to have been caused by excessive use of Safer Soap. I previously used a milder surgical soap mixed with neem as a preventative step, and this time used Safer Soap for the first time. I did not follow the instructions closely, which specifically warn against this and recommend testing on the plants to identify which plants are sensitive to this stuff. Most of my plants are not sensitive, but a few were. New growth looks good, hopefully this issue is already gone.

Late-flowering pure sativas (including haze strains) enter pre-flowering and show their sex later than hybrids containing a significant % of indica genetics. I realise that is a generalisation, more a hypothesis-to-be-proved than a demonstrated fact. I get to that hypothesis by comparing my more indica-sativa hybrids with the pure sativas. My Shiva Skunk (not one of the 7 haze strains) and even the NL#5 x Hazes were well into pre-flower in the last week of June and showed little white hairs if female. The pure sativas have taken longer to reveal sex, and I have gone back and forth on their sex and relied up until now on the non-conclusive signs like internodal space (males having longer spaces between nodes), plant height and bushiness, and looking for that little stump or pedestal under a flower (an "indictor" of a male).

Some strains I popped 5 seeds to see what phenos I would get, as well as to get males for pollen. I am happy that that Purple Haze x Malawi #1 is looking like a male, since I may be able to cross him with some other strains that can finish earlier than December (I have my doubts about the female PHxM being able to finish in my climate, but we'll see). I have gone back and forth on this particular plant PHxM#1 as you might guess from the confusing label I created. Now there are some signs of male gender, the balls beginning to form and the little stump under the flower in several of these photos, but it has taken until now for this to show.

I was already fairly sure that PHxM #3 (in post #1 above) was female just judging from internodes and plant structure. It seems now that PHxM #4 is also female, looking for incipient pistils and also note the rounded bottom on the pre flowers (no stump or pedestal, and no swellings that might grow into pollen-bearing pods).

Michka #3 (pictured in post #1 above) I pegged as female based not on any pistils, but on the overall look, plant structure, tight internodes and absence of anything that looked like "balls". Michka #2 is more confusing, and I went back and forth on it until yesterday, but again I am still guessing although it looks more female than male. Opinions, anyone?

The remaining plants below I've concluded are female, including a Super Malawi Haze, Shiva Skunk, NL#5 x Haze, Super Lemon Haze and DTHF.

Super Lemon Haze #2 (fem) has pushed up strongly, still has a bit of that scraggly look and the variegated leaf texture. Someone mentioned that as a seedling this SLH #2 looked like a zinc deficiency because of the yellow veins in the leaves. That particular trait seems to have improved with up-potting and allowing her to grow out. I don't know why she had that odd look. She also has a skunky aroma.

Durban-Thai HighFlyer #2 is female, judging from the pre flowers showing pistils.

There are also a number of males that will be allowed to flower away from the females, more later.

Update on Seven Hazes. The last 10 days were still nice and cool, around 80 F / 25 C or so at this grow location. Nice breeze off a nearby lake in the afternoons. Now in mid-July the heat has been turned up to 90-95 F and so we need to keep the plants out of the heat, off hot tiles, in shade during the hottest hours, and always well-watered.

The photos below correspond to the plants in post #1. (They are not the same as those in post #13, which are of the same strains but in a different location.). I'll comment if I have anything interesting. Otherwise, I am happy to report that all seven plants are happily preflowering away. All appear to be female by all measures, although for some I still do not have certainty. Let's start off with the unholy trinity of Purple Haze x Malawi, Malawi, and Super Malawi Haze.

Of these three, Malawi is the most robust, heat- and pest-resistant strain. Ah yes, from Africa. Of course. If you want a heat-resistant strain, and in future that can be a huge factor in deciding what to grow outdoors, these strains with African genetics like Durban, Durban-Thai, Malawi and Malawi-crosses, are a good choice, imo. Malawi has some leaf damage you can see but it isn't from the heat per se. Another heat-resistant strain is Super Lemon Haze, which I grew two years ago in the hot California climate. I've had some heat leaf damage issues with other strains, but not with Malawi or Super Malawi Haze or DTHF or Super Lemon Haze.

Speaking of DTHF...

Michka you may know likes to get tall and my Michka has about doubled in height over the past two weeks. This is a haze with Jamaican sativa genetics. She had a little heat damage a few weeks back, but she is now in a shadier place and seem to be enjoying it.

NL#5 x Haze has been topped multiple times and looks bushier and bushier.

Finally, Super Lemon Haze has probably the most euphoric effect and am happy to grow it again, this time in a cooler climate than California and she seems to be doing well.

More later. Thanks for your attention, participation and devotion to cannabis. Any questions, comments, criticisms or compliments are of course welcome!

Super Lemon Haze has probably the most euphoric effect
I have a couple of these going outside, but I think they are going very slow. I topped one and it stalled and the other just left natural is still moving along. They are at about 48 days - am I silly to hope that they will double in size over the next 40 days or so?? Glad to hear about the euphoria!!! :yahoo: Here she is at 44 days - 12' tall.
1658158906306.png

Hey greenjeans!

Thanks for your Super Lemon Haze photo, it's great to see what yours is doing.

Before I grew Super Lemon Haze the first time in 2020, I read that there were many phenos. I got a pack of 5 feminized from GHS. The first seed I popped in 2020 was incredibly vigorous, the most vigorous plant in the grow. By July she was 10 feet and gaining. Huge leaves, but did not thrive in shade and loved direct sunlight. Did have some heat issues when the temperature got up to 104 F as I recall. Harvested in mid-October. I made cannabutter. Effect is euphoric, uplifting, energizing, sometimes a bit spacy. One of the best I've ever grown. A few photos from 2020...

Btw her trichomes were not stunning visually, not much to write home about. So I (naively) wasn't expecting much from her. I thought her growth was fast but not a typical cannabis plant, different shaped leaves and buds. But she surprised me with an intense euphoric effect and became a stash of stashes.

The photo below was taken Oct 6, 2020, before harvest on Oct 17. The main stem is barren of any branches at that point because I removed many fading lower fan leaves that were dying. I was thinking the plant "discarded" the leaves that were in the shade almost all day long. She grew up over the rain gutter and once she got that tall she had light all day long. SLH in California in 2020 thrived in sunlight and withered in shade....

This year I still had 3 seeds. I botched one and then tried the other two; both popped in late April. Maybe popping isn't the way to describe them, it was a very slow pop. Here two photos showing both, taken May 31. The first photo is actually of #2, and I see I mislabelled both photos as to #1 or 2.

Both of seedlings were very slow to grow. At some point in mid-June the weather warmed up to 75 F and they started vegging and then went into faster growth. #1 is at about two and a half feet now, #2 at about two feet.

Here's a photo of #2 taken July 9.

Just flashing back, my 2020 SLH did not look anything like this. It had larger leaves than either of my two 2022s.

Back to the pheno aspect in 2022. The leaves on both were thick and slow to grow. #2 was the weirdest looking plant I've ever seen. Someone commented on its yellow and green-lined leaves as maybe showing a zinc deficiency. The yellow striped leaves have a prickly look and a very skunky aroma. I think of her as the "lemon skunk" pheno.

This year, SLH #1 has really taken off in the heat of summer, and she's got to be the hazey pheno. Here's a shot from today:

I think of her as the haze pheno because her leaves are smooth and delicate, uniform, not distorted and prickly like the lemony skunky pheno #2. The haze pheno does not have any lemony or skunky aroma, at least not yet.

I am hesitant to top them because I'd like to see how tall they'll get in 7.5 gallons. In 2020, SLH was in 15 gallons and got huge. I think she might double in size and end up at 5 feet or so, we'll see. I germinated in late April, so they are both about three months along. They were very slow to kick into veg, and were still pretty small even just a month ago. But it's only mid-July, so maybe the stretch will double their height from now.

Thanks for sharing yours. It will be interesting to see how yours stretches having been topped. Please post more about how she grows.

Cheers

@greenjeans yes mine are all photoperiod. The SLH are feminized, the rest are regular.

I read your journal and saw your posts about the topped autos. I've never grown autos so am not much help there. I have read that autoflowering plants should be topped as early as possible because of their shorter life span. Maybe yours are in temporary shock and will come around. Hope so!

Here's the skunky lemony SLH #2 in her wild unrestrained self, today. She's grown again, now at a little over two feet. Below, a photo of same skunky lemony Wild Thing from above.

Wild Thing, you make my heart sing

NL#5 x Haze by Mr Nice was said to have different phenos. I popped 4 seeds, and 3 of the 4 turned out female.

So far, I see two main phenos as respects leaf shape. One pheno has uniformly shaped leaf-fingers having a smooth surface, shown below on right (also a second plant of this pheno is in post #1 above), which may be an "indica" pheno. The other pheno has a variegated leaf shape with a rougher, uneven and speckled surface, and spindly branching, and may be a "haze" pheno. It will be interesting to find out how they differ in flowering and ultimately in effect. So far, the haze-looking variegated pheno is sensitive to too much sun and heat, so I keep her out of the sun on a very hot day. Here's a photo taken today.

Apart from leaf shape, there is also a darker and lighter pheno, in either variant. So four phenos total: dark variegated leaf, light variegated, dark uniform, and light uniform. This was visible in the four original seedlings in a photo from late May. One seedling, the with variegated leaves in the lighter coloring, is on the upper right below but no longer in the grow. The variegated pheno on the left in the photo above is the darker green seedling on the lower right below. Interestingly, the pheno with more uniform leaf shape ("indica" pheno?) also had darker and a lighter variants, on the upper and lower left.

What I have called the "haze" pheno was also slower to grow as a seedling (not unlike my Super Lemon Hazes, which were phenomenally slow). The "indica" pheno NL#5 x Haze seedlings were vigorous and grew rapidly into veg.

Back
Top Bottom