Seven Hazes

my Super Lemon Hazes, which were phenomenally slow)
Hell, mine have stopped!! I'm on day 56 and the biggest is 13". The topped one hasn't grown at all - just bushier! So far I'm not impressed at all. The auto I grew last year got to about 2.5 - 3'.

Hell, mine have stopped!! I'm on day 56 and the biggest is 13". The topped one hasn't grown at all - just bushier! So far I'm not impressed at all. The auto I grew last year got to about 2.5 - 3'.
Did you top the one last year too?

Did you top the one last year too?
I don't think so - I'm pretty sure I just let it grow - it didn't seem to act any different than the photos - that's why I'm a bit surprised at these two!! :hmmmm: :nervous-guy:They look a little foolish in that big ground area!!:rofl:
This one is topped...
1659032495514.png

This one is natural...
1659032529365.png

Time for an update, now that the plants are in pre-flower.

Super Lemon Haze plants ## 1 and 2 (feminized from GHS) are so very different from the plant I grew from the same 5-pack in 2020 (that plant can be seen in my West Facing Balcony Grow from 2020). These two this year are incredibly different from each other. So, phenotypes galore, I guess. So here is SLH # 1, now about 5 feet tall (in photo on left next to Durban-Thai HighFlyer x C99 x Thai-Tanic by Fleur du Mal). SLH #1 is putting out pistils, as the second photo shows.

SLH #2 is still a bit shorter, about 4 feet, with a very different structure and look, even the leaf coloring is different.

NL#5 x Haze ## 1 and 3 are also in pre-flower, #1 a more indica-leaning pheno, #3 very hazy.

Purple Haze x Malawi has finally gone into pre-flower, showing herself to be... Before I reveal that, (ohh! oops!) I have to say I went back and forth on her gender several times and still had no definite proof. I guess these late-flowering haze strains are also late to pre-flower, which makes sense. So anyway, I think we are at the point where I'll call it: She's female! Here's a photo of her showing her stretched after two toppings, plus a close up of her nodes. I've given her a first top-dressing of flowering food since up-potting in early July: FlowerGirl (3-9-4), plus kelp meal, seabird guano, oyster shell & crab shell + malted barley flour topped off with a drink of seaweed concentrate. Her color improved overnight from a lighter to healthier and darker looking green. The word from Ace is that this strain needs a lighter hand with regard to N. A propos pre-flowering, take a look at those bugged eyeballs at the bottom of the second photo -- what the heck are those?

Malawi is also in pre-flower, with many light green bud sites forming.

Super Malawi Haze. Here two different plants, one large in a 7.5 gallon pot and the other in a 3 gallon.

Michka. Due to mistakes I made as well as the incredible heat wave we had in July, I am left with one Michka. Since he is male, he's been removed to another location and I am hoping to get pollen. I'd like to cross Michka with SLH, both are said to be quite lemony in flowering, so maybe next year I will be able to grow SLH x Michka, we'll see. Anyway, the grow is still "Seven Hazes" even though there are only 6 hazes in the grow zone from here on out.

Happy growing everyone

Emeraldo

It'll be really interesting just how you find the progress of the plants from here, some requiring longer flowering periods. The 2 SLH will great to see how they compare with 2020's SLH since that was so outstanding, and I'm keen to see how you find the Sativa strains you're growing this grow compared to the past. That heat wave sounded stressing on the plants.

Super Lemon Haze #2

The phenos of this strain differ, at least in appearance. Of course I won't know if they differ in effect until later.

As you can see in my previous post from last week, SLH #1 of this year is fairly tall, is now about 5.5 feet in a 7.5 gallon pot and still stretching, and has large, long, slender lush green leaves. SLH #2 this year has attained only about 3.5 feet despite the fact that she has had more sun and heat, which this strain is known to need and respond to. She is shorter, squat, bushy (even before she was topped last week), and has shorter, smaller leaves that had yellow veins all over her leaves, with a skunky aroma even as a seedling. (Just for an additional comparison, the SLH in my 2020 grow -- from the same 5-pack from GHS -- got at least 10 feet tall in a 15 gallon pot and was tolerant of heat to a large degree.). So phenotypes galore is what to expect with SLH, so far I've grown three out and each time a different-looking plant emerges. I have to add each plant was grown in a different place and climate.

I topped SLH #2 about ten days ago, taking about four inches from the top. She's started to flower and I want to keep her short for stealth reasons. After topping, she bushed out as the side branches got longer, but her vertical growth has slowed but not stopped. After the top-dressing yesterday (overall NPK of the mix is 3-9-4), her leaves became deep green (some top leaves clawed a bit) but the yellowish markings in the leaves seem to have become greener like #1's. Maybe the yellowish veins was due to a deficiency that has now gone or been ameliorated with the feeding. Who knows?

Top Feeding for Flowering in "Haze Light" Soil Mix

It being now the start of flowering, the plants needed to be fed. For the first time in this grow. What you say? So what better time than now to talk about soil and feeding.

Yesterday's top feeding was mainly to add additional P and K, and to give a slight nitrogen kick. This was especially needed for the haze plants because they got very little N at the start of the grow and have had none since. So I gave all plants, pure sativas and poly-hybrids alike, a big push with 5 teaspoonfuls each of a mixture containing Flower Girl (3-9-4), seabird guano (0-11-0), fishbone meal (3-18-0), crab shell meal (3-3-0), kelp meal (1-0.5-2), plus some oyster shell and malted barley, all topped off with a nice cool drink of seaweed (0-0-4.5) watered in spread out over an hour or so. So total Nitrogen in this first top feeding since the start of the grow was at most 3, probably less; P & K are obviously more plentiful than N in the mix.

The NL#5xHaze plant below is not in haze light soil but there is a before and after the feeding to see. First photo was taken Aug 8, the second photo the day before the feed, and the third photo today after a second watering to reach the roots.

At the beginning of veg in late May, the pure sativa or "haze" plants in this grow (SLH, Purple Haze x Malawi, Michka, and Malawi) were all up-potted into "haze light" soil. So they have not had much N during the whole grow so far. Apart from the 5 tsp of above mix given yesterday, the pure sativa plants since the start of veg got no more N than I included in the "haze light" soil mixture I prepared over the winter (spreadsheet coming).

They have had epsom salt foliar applications for magnesium and mild seaweed concentrate for potassium every 2-3 weeks. I've sprayed also with neem + safer soap to keep the bugs away. Climactic differences exist, and the grow zone is cooler on average by about 9 F/5 C, which can be critical in a heat wave.

Super Malawi Haze #2

Super Malawi Haze (ACE) was said to be "hungry" so I did not plant her in haze light soil. SMH is also not a pure sativa but a poly-hybrid. Her father, the Super Silver Haze, is a Jack-Herer-like hybrid and so some indica genetics are in there, typically NL#5 and/or Shiva Skunk. It's just a small percentage of indica, but that bit of indica surprisingly makes a big difference not only in shortening the long haze flowering time but also in the amount of nitrogen she can safely consume and use. SMH, Durban-Thai HighFlyer, and NL#5 x Haze are this kind of poly-hybrid and have been in full nutrient soil with more nitrogen from the beginning of veg.

NL#5 x Haze ("Hazy Pheno") in full nutrient soil (spreadsheet coming)

A few from the last days. She is now in flowering. As you can see in the last photo.

Today am following up on a couple of misstatements in my post of yesterday:
1. Super Lemon Haze (not SMH) is Super Silver Haze x Lemon Skunk. With the SSH genetics, plus the infusion of indica genetics in Lemon Skunk, SLH has quite a bit of indica genetics. The various online reviews of SLH put her indica parentage at between 20% and 30%.
2. Super Malawi Haze is Nevil's Haze x Malawi, much closer to a pure sativa but not quite. ACE says she has 10% indica heritage from the Nevil's haze hybrid. The Malawi is of course a landrace African pure sativa strain.

Further to the discussion of "haze light" soil, it is clear from reading up about growing haze strains that many of the pure sativa strains cannot tolerate strong doses of nutrients, particularly of Nitrogen. So I purposely left out practically all of the usual sources of Nitrogen I usually add to my soil, such as bat guano, blood meal, cottonseed meal, etc.

Posted below is the spreadsheet detailing the ingredients of the two soil mixes, "full nutrient" (which I made mostly from scratch) and the "haze light" soil mix (which contains quite a bit of soil first mixed in 2019 and was used for three grows before I added fresh nutrients and other ingredients this year). That said, one mistake I made in mixing both soils was I relied on a granulised potassium fertiliser product to supply K, which created a problem because the granulised K apparently needed more time to break down and become available to the plants. This created a K deficiency. I then solved that crisis with seaweed (K 4.5) concentrate which is immediately available.

Hi @greenjeans, glad to see you. Hope all is well. Don't fret over your Super Lemon Haze, it still can turn out fine and maybe you'll like that euphoric effect! Yours look quite good, the color and the new growth (post #23 above).

Mine (see posts ## 24 & 27) are both smaller than in my 2020 grow, but they're not stunted by any means! Though they were very slow to kick into veg, they got past that phase when the weather got warm.

Cheers

E

Don't fret over your Super Lemon Haze
I think I will harvest Lemmy, the topped one, she has not had any white pistils for a few days and there is some amber. Trichs seem a bit sparse to me me but....smokem' if ya gottem!!!

I think I will harvest Lemmy, the topped one, she has not had any white pistils for a few days and there is some amber. Trichs seem a bit sparse to me me but....smokem' if ya gottem!!!
@greenjeans I for one will look forward to your smoke report on Lemmy the little Super Lemon Haze. :hookah:

There's one plant in my grow this year that has gone almost unmentioned in this journal until now. She's not a haze, and I didn't want to clutter up the journal with a confusing hodge-podge of strains. But Shiva Skunk has a connection to haze, and at least in my mind is a classic companion for haze ever since she was famously crossed with haze in creating Jack Herer.

So when I was selecting my haze strains for the grow I included Shiva Skunk for variety, early flowering, and possible crosses. Above all, during the long wait into cold December -- waiting for the long-flowering, late-harvestible, slow-ripening Haze strains, some of which may never finish -- it would be good to have something to enjoy! Insurance, because PHxM for example would need to go into late December, and I'm not sure how she will end up. So at least if my pure sativa tropical hazes don't survive the cold of 47N (even in the warmed greenhouse), there'll be an early 7-weeker Shiva Skunk to rely on. And works for me -- no neighbors are near enough to catch a whiff! ;)

Sensi Seeds writes: "Legend has it that Hindu god Shiva discovered the mind-expanding properties of cannabis when he meditated in the middle of a ganja field. Of the many bynames of Shiva, “Lord of Bhang” (bhang is an Indian cannabis preparation) and “The Destroyer” are particularly appropriate in the context of cannabis."

Mine is female, and the goddess should be ready in mid-October. She has strong side branches, tight nodes, and easy to keep short. She is 85% indica and 15% sativa. Seeking a body effect for relaxation, and crossing possibilities for next year. Shiva-the-Destroyer ought to give more body. Maybe a Shiva Skunk x Malawi cross could shorten the long Malawi flowering time? Maybe for SMH too? Is that too much to ask?

In other news, I pruned the Super Malawi Haze, thinning out some of the interior branches and bending the long branches away from each other to give light and air flow. Her canopy was too dense, as my post of the other day shows.

Hazy's (NL#5 x Haze No. 3 is a very hazy pheno, so I call her "Hazy") growth pattern is unlike any other plant in the grow. I've LST'd her main stem and top branch (hanging down on the left side in the first photo), which were getting way too high. But she grows like a vine, putting out branches that seem to think they are each the main stem, each branch putting out its own branches that also become thick and just keep reaching out.

So I've added support because I'm afraid the length of the branches will make them fall down later on from the weight. And separated out the outward branches that have grown from the large branch from the first and second nodes (on the right side) to give light and air flow.

It's difficult to capture the texture and colors of these leaves. Some have a smooth surface, others look like brushed leather with a metallic paint of some kind. There are two-toned leaves, curved leaves, smooth and rough, light and dark. During the heat wave, this plant suffered and needed shade. But leaves that suffered and seemed destroyed have recovered and parts have even turned dark green again while other parts of the same leaf stay yellow or crisp brown.

;)

Update. The view from inside on 31. August, an overcast day -- hence the subdued look, otherwise bright and sunny -- and already getting cooler, temps around 72 F. The hazes are all slow to flower, though NL#5xHaze and DTHF are the farthest along owing to their indica %. Still nothing much to show compared to my 2021 Afghani's and Mexican Sativa's flowering around the same time last year.

Here SLH on the left, Malawi on the right, SMH seen between the two. The slowest to flower is Purple Haze x Malawi, hardly visible here, in front of and obscured by SLH.

Here DTHF is on the left and NL#5xHaze out front on left. I had to LST the tops of DTHF and Super Lemon Haze (center), not wanting to top them in flowering even though it is still early. But in their stretch they were going to push against the ceiling which can get hot on a sunny day.

I'm Here for the sativas. Looking awesome. I grow Durban landraces right through our winter in Cape Town. It does not frost or get much colder than 4c so hopefully that helps.
Just popped 20 Malawi landraces for some breeding so definitely keen to see how yours come out. Cheers

I'm Here for the sativas. Looking awesome. I grow Durban landraces right through our winter in Cape Town. It does not frost or get much colder than 4c so hopefully that helps.
Just popped 20 Malawi landraces for some breeding so definitely keen to see how yours come out. Cheers
Hi @Lerugged and thanks for commenting. So you are growing Durban landraces outdoors in Cape Town over the winter? That is amazing. I understand that pure sativa landraces like Malawi do not mind the cold, which is a good thing because they will be flowering here (North of the Equator) into December! :D Btw I grew a Durban (from Sensi, not a landrace) last year and consider it my best weed from that grow. Will you keep a 420 journal on your Malawi grow? I'll be posting more about my ACE sativa strains (Malawi, PHxM and SMH) as they ripen. Cheers

Hey. Yes I'll be updating in the Table mountain sativa spectacle journal. I'm a sucker for both Durban (or any landrace from KZN) and Malawi. Difficult to choose between those two strains.
Fingers crossed for a smooth finish for your ladies

Back
Top Bottom