Nice to see the outdoor sunshine blessing your plants Emeraldo. They are looking well and full of promise, I am already looking forward to their smoke report!

Today, I felt especially elated on opening the letterbox and receiving a successful bean order that contained amongst others, 4 SLH seeds from GHS. I'd always been keen on trying it, but hearing your praise tipped me over! All the best.

Nice to see the outdoor sunshine blessing your plants Emeraldo. They are looking well and full of promise, I am already looking forward to their smoke report!

Today, I felt especially elated on opening the letterbox and receiving a successful bean order that contained amongst others, 4 SLH seeds from GHS. I'd always been keen on trying it, but hearing your praise tipped me over! All the best.
@Stunger thank you for your encouragement! I'm so glad your seed order made it through the tight NZ "protections" that are in place! :cool: I'm of course pleased that my experience with SLH tipped you over, but I hope you find you also like this plant. My recent post shows the last "original" SLH fem from my 2020 GHS 5-pack, but as you know I also grew seeds last year, and I've a number of SLH crosses that will comment on later this season. Hoping to find a male amongst those as they commence flowering. With a little luck I'll be growing a new cross next year: 75% SLH and 25% Michka. All the best to you! Emeraldo

Note on the SLH high.

@Stunger -- I just re-read your latest post / wrap-up on the Mulanje Sherbert over on your thread and she sounds like strong stuff! It just made me think about "strength" as a trait of the weed I grow. In my experience weed is always strongest right after harvest. It can be downright incapacitating. This past year, the Malawi was the strongest weed I'd ever had. It put me in another world where I could simply sit and stare for hours. Actually, though, tbh I have to say that I will limit myself to being incapacitated when I don't have to interact much, drive, or converse. If I need to go out and do things, interact, run errands or walk the dog, I prefer a high that is energising, uplifting, and enhances concentration with a euphoric feeling.

That is why Super Lemon Haze became a favorite and I'm writing this because you've mentioned now that you may be growing that strain in your next grow. SLH can give you a euphoric cerebral zing with an underlying relaxing body buzz, but here's my tip to anyone growing SLH from GHS feminized: The SLH harvest window for me in my climate(s) is in the third week of Oct, say between Oct 14 and 21. That seems early for a "haze", but of course SLH isn't pure a haze, it's a Super Silver Haze x Lemon Skunk, and Lemon Skunk is ripe for harvest in early October. So if I wait longer, say, into November, the effect is less of what I look for.

I harvested SLH in 2020 in California on Oct 23, and this was just by accident that it turned out just right for my taste. I needed to catch a plane, so I just harvested it without a lot of expectations. But to my surprise it turned out so well, and last year I grew SLH in two climates (north side and south side of the mountains) and harvested SLH on several dates: Oct 14, Oct 23, and Nov 5. This is Northern Hemisphere, and I suppose you'd need to figure out when the plant is ripe to your specs for your climate down under, but my point is this year I would harvest in mid-October here. It just turns out that the third week of Oct, from say the 14th to the 21st is going to be about right for me. I say this because the Nov 5 harvest lost some of the cerebral zing but gains a more relaxing effect. I do enjoy that weed, but I actually prefer the earlier-harvested weed because it is more uplifting, euphoric, and my best weed for everyday use.

Cheers

Note on the SLH high.

@Stunger -- I just re-read your latest post / wrap-up on the Mulanje Sherbert over on your thread and she sounds like strong stuff! It just made me think about "strength" as a trait of the weed I grow. In my experience weed is always strongest right after harvest. It can be downright incapacitating. This past year, the Malawi was the strongest weed I'd ever had. It put me in another world where I could simply sit and stare for hours. Actually, though, tbh I have to say that I will limit myself to being incapacitated when I don't have to interact much, drive, or converse. If I need to go out and do things, interact, run errands or walk the dog, I prefer a high that is energising, uplifting, and enhances concentration with a euphoric feeling.

That is why Super Lemon Haze became a favorite and I'm writing this because you've mentioned now that you may be growing that strain in your next grow. SLH can give you a euphoric cerebral zing with an underlying relaxing body buzz, but here's my tip to anyone growing SLH from GHS feminized: The SLH harvest window for me in my climate(s) is in the third week of Oct, say between Oct 14 and 21. That seems early for a "haze", but of course SLH isn't pure a haze, it's a Super Silver Haze x Lemon Skunk, and Lemon Skunk is ripe for harvest in early October. So if I wait longer, say, into November, the effect is less of what I look for.

I harvested SLH in 2020 in California on Oct 23, and this was just by accident that it turned out just right for my taste. I needed to catch a plane, so I just harvested it without a lot of expectations. But to my surprise it turned out so well, and last year I grew SLH in two climates (north side and south side of the mountains) and harvested SLH on several dates: Oct 14, Oct 23, and Nov 5. This is Northern Hemisphere, and I suppose you'd need to figure out when the plant is ripe to your specs for your climate down under, but my point is this year I would harvest in mid-October here. It just turns out that the third week of Oct, from say the 14th to the 21st is going to be about right for me. I say this because the Nov 5 harvest lost some of the cerebral zing but gains a more relaxing effect. I do enjoy that weed, but I actually prefer the earlier-harvested weed because it is more uplifting, euphoric, and my best weed for everyday use.

Cheers
Hey Emeraldo, the Mulanje Sherbert was a very pleasant surprise for its unexpected power, after weeks of drying and now jarred, the buds still have a lank heavy 'wet' greasy feel to them. I do wonder what I would think of it in former times when I had less tolerance. Over the last year I have had Mulanje, Malawi x Ethiopian, and Purple Honduras x Panama daily which themselves weren't to be sneezed at.

It is very interesting and useful to have your harvesting experience of the SLH as otherwise it is all a guess. I have generally tended to harvest late, thinking that will be then stronger. But without knowing when to harvest, it is probably better to simply sample until it seems ideal, altho how do you then know that you've gone too far until you've gone too far.

I am not sure yet on what I will kick off this coming spring. I am currently feeling quite buoyed with recently having had a successful bean delivery, so much that I am considering making another one.

If I kick off a SLH I will certainly bear your experience of a 23rd October harvest, which would presumably have an April equivalent for me. Cheers.

Returning now to the SLH pheno hunting project, one of the 5 seedlings I germinated in May has the same kind of look and skunky aroma as did SLH#2 (otherwise known as the "Lemon Skunk" pheno) last year.

To summarise the background briefly, there was one GHS feminized Super Lemon Haze plant in my grow in 2022 that appealed to me very much in terms of psychoactive effect. So one of the motivations for this 2023 grow has been to find that pheno again. It was a small, stocky plant with weak branching, slower growth, and very distinctive leaf morphology: her leaves were green with yellow speckled veins, which gave her an unusual look and skunky aroma.

So far this year I have been watching my SLH#2 x Michka offspring seedlings for signs of this phenotype. Two of the five have been early to show their sex, with small whitish double stigmas visibly protruding in later June. But those are not the Lemon Skunk pheno I am looking for and I suspect those are Michka dominant because of the early flowering genetic makeup of their Michka father, which is Jamaican-Thai haze crossed with Early Pearl. I've posted one photo on that development above. We'll see if they ripen earlier than others.

The major development I'd like to document in this post is that I've spotted what seems to be a Lemon Skunk pheno. I don't know yet if the plant is male or female, but either way I am happy with this find. If male, I'll back-cross the original GHS feminized plant in this grow. Note the distinctive leaf colouring. The other traits of last year's Lemon Skunk pheno are also apparent: branching, plant size, and skunky aroma.

Since my last post I've been back to visit the mostly Barney's group, and they're doing well notwithstanding the heat. That tall one at the far end is Mimosa Evo, which looked like she wanted to grow nice and tall, so I left her untopped. May need to top her too if she starts pushing the roof off!

All the others have been topped and are bushing out. Clockwise from Mimosa Evo: Super Lemon Haze (not a Barney's, lol), G13 Haze, Amnesia Lemon, Blue Sunset Sherbert. Am starting to see tiny signs of pre flowering, too tiny for me to catch a photo of yet.

Enjoy your growings all!

Clockwise from Mimosa Evo: Super Lemon Haze (not a Barney's, lol), G13 Haze, Amnesia Lemon, Blue Sunset Sherbert.
Good morning, Emeraldo! The plants look happy.
Its raining here. My last I grew both the G13 Haze and the Amnesia Lemon. I'm really liking both. The G13 is a bit strong now. I am avoiding it until it cures some more. The Amnesia Lemon is very enjoyable. I had a couple tastes this morning. The buds are like lemon sponges. Enjoy!

After the heat wave in early July, it's gotten cooler these past two weeks. In the covered grow area, it still stays warmer, and the plants seem to be doing well. I've been watering them to runoff once a week and they don't need more. Here's a few photos to update this journal. Cheers

Hey Emeraldo, your plants look happy and content in your last post, I hope that continued into flowering.
I am always interested in your choices, and particularly so in the SLH crosses you made and what their outcome was I was unexpectedly surprised at the potency of my home made Mulanje Sherbert cross. It's just stunning how some crosses can be so much more than their parents.
Spring's here now down under and I am close to starting up a balcony grow again. I have been sidetracked by a few things and had nothing to contribute so I've been a bit AWOL. However, I have had another successful delivery and now have a good selection to choose from. I just wish I could do a bigger number to really have a choice when usage is underway. I am changing my growing approach this time, I don't know if for better or worse. There are always tradeoffs to contend with, for me stealth, area and height are limited, but I feel even a nothing special year it can fulfil my needs nicely, so I am not very bothered on total yield, just as long as I get sufficient. Anyway, some of my last grow's cob is beginning to kick in so I'll continue on checking out what others are doing. I hope your world is going well, I will take a look at the other place and see if you're about, cheers.

Back
Top Bottom