Seven Hazes

Harvested most of the Super Lemon Haze ("indica pheno" or "Lemon Skunk pheno") today.

Interesting how that happened. I wasn't going to harvest that plant for another 14 days because the breeder's indication for an outdoor grow was that she'd be ready at "the end of October", plus the fact that the seeds on select branches still need two weeks to ripen. I'll often let a plant flower a bit longer than the breeder's indication for harvesting, but I've never had a plant that was two or three weeks earlier than the breeder's estimated harvest date.

Just to put this in context, here's how SLH#2 looked on September 23, just two days after I pollinated selected branches.

That was three weeks ago. So, ideally, I thought, the seeds need until end of October, and that fit nicely for harvest at "end of October." Problem was, the bud was already looking ready to harvest in the first week of October when I noticed that all pisitils/stigmas had shrunk to the tiniest little brown hairs, and I could not find a single white stigma on her. It seemed at that point she would be ready earlier than end of October. Here some close ups of her taken yesterday.

So, long story short, I wasn't sure what I should do. I wanted to understand how she could be ripe already, two weeks "early". If I waited two more weeks she might be overripe. On the other hand, I pollinated her on September 21 and so the seeds will probably need another two weeks to be sure they'll be viable.

Then it occurred to me (and this is nowhere written in the GHS material or any reviews by seed banks) that this particular individual plant might be a fairly uncommon pheno of SLH (hence the absence of info). Yes, the Super Silver Haze x Lemon Skunk genetics of GHS' SLH seeds generally will ripen more slowly, with end of October being the usual finishing time. But my SLH#2 is very clearly leaning towards the Lemon Skunk mother. So I checked out GHS Lemon Skunk's finishing time and it is said to be ready to harvest outdoors "beginning of October." Then suddenly, with that information, this plant made sense to me. I guess I am learning to pay attention to what the plant is telling me.

As mentioned, there are two SLH phenos in this grow, I got one Super Silver Haze pheno and one Lemon Skunk pheno. As it turns out, the Lemon Skunk pheno is ready to harvest today, two weeks before the "haze pheno" of the same strain. I left a few seeded buds on the plant so that they can continue to ripen until the end of the month, that making 5 weeks since pollination. The haze pheno may go into November judging from the photos posted here a week ago. For now, am happy to be harvesting.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Emeraldo

Great observations, It seems like Sativa dominants have their own biological clock because they end up doing what they want when they want, they are sassy ladies but the refinement within their phenotypes is very subtle and a week or a couple days makes a difference.

Great journal.

Great observations, It seems like Sativa dominants have their own biological clock because they end up doing what they want when they want, they are sassy ladies but the refinement within their phenotypes is very subtle and a week or a couple days makes a difference.

Great journal.
Thanks @danishoes21, very true. I've often wondered how flowering time is affected by crossing two strains with different finishing times. It seems if you cross a long and late flowering haze with an early flowering skunk, the flowering time of the new cross will be somewhere in between the two parents. My SLH lemon skunk pheno seems to bear that out.

Thanks @danishoes21, very true. I've often wondered how flowering time is affected by crossing two strains with different finishing times. It seems if you cross a long and late flowering haze with an early flowering skunk, the flowering time of the new cross will be somewhere in between the two parents. My SLH lemon skunk pheno seems to bear that out.
I can tell u that in few weeks. I have phantom OG and godfather OG graphed together one side is one and other. So fort. One is 45 days and other is 65

I have 2 very late finishing phenos sativa domiants and a Sativa male that came out of nowhere flowered in september the Male so very late, crossed it with a very early flowering Durban Poison pheno I was lucky to get, So hopefully the new cross is gona be a faster finish.

I tried to avoid putting Indica traits in to the new cross, The odd fast flowering sativa dominant does happen but it takes time to get them top flower faster, like a couple generations.

... The odd fast flowering sativa dominant does happen but it takes time to get them top flower faster, like a couple generations.

Like years of work, crossing, selecting, back-crossing, growing out three or four generations at least. Female Seeds has some fast-flowering sativas, finished by the end of August outdoors. But if you look into it, there is sometimes an auto in the genetic background. This year I wanted to do it the old fashioned way, just grow hazes and tropical sativas and let them go as long as they need in the new greenhouse setup. Fortunately, the cold weather has abated and it looks like the next few weeks will be good for the harvest.

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Here's an update on the haze grow, wherein the greenhouse late-flowering haze plants are flowering along at their respective tempos, some ahead of others but all not nearly ready to harvest. I'll show the 5 remaining plants in the Grow Zone in the order of their progress, from least to most.

Super Malawi Haze:
Starting to see a tiny bit of trichome development today. Still a long way to go! SMH is still hungry and received 1 tsp more of the 3-9-4 flowering feed mix, topped off with a cool drink of 0-0-4 seaweed.

Malawi:
Finally getting somewhere! Malawi continued to stretch over the past 10 days, and now showing some trichome growth, a bit more than the SMH, and she is supposed to be harvestable before the SMH.

Super Lemon Haze:
As noted, this plant is the first of two SLH in the grow this year. SLH#2 (the lemon skunk pheno) was harvested two days ago after I concluded she was ripe. This one, the haze pheno, is nowhere near ripeness. I could not find a single stigma on her that has even started turning brown. Almost all are still white. GHS says "end of October," but this plant looks more like she'll go until mid- to late-November. I am in for as long as it takes!

One other thing worth mentioning here: I attempted three times to pollinate several selected lower branches of SLH#1 but cannot find any fertilised calyxes swelling up. SLH#2 had quite a number of seeds, so am surprised and a bit disappointed that the haze pheno did not produce any so far. Both plants are from feminized seed.

Durban-Thai HighFlyer x C99:
DTHF is showing good trichome growth. Stigmas not yet turning brown in significant numbers. Will wait. Fleur du Mal says 8 weeks flowering, but it's hard to know when the 8 weeks should start in an outdoor grow. Will get out the digital microscope and start scoping the trikes.

NL#5 x Haze:
NL#5 x Haze is the farther along, judging from the stigmas going brown plus the trichome growth. Will have to look closely at the trichomes from now on, but maybe another three weeks will do it.

Enjoy yours grows, all! Cheers and thanks for stopping by.

Emeraldo

Looking great!
:popcorn:

I love that Durban/Thai, Thai sativas is one of the genetics I would love to have. And now that Thailand legalized cannabis so I’m guessing it’s a good time to go hunt some seeds there before it all becomes Dutch hybrids.

Your phenos are looking very nice, still long for the harvest but buds are looking great and trichomes are there (mine haven’t even started trichomes).

If it’s mid November harvest I will here watching.

:Rasta:

Looking great!
:popcorn:

I love that Durban/Thai, Thai sativas is one of the genetics I would love to have. And now that Thailand legalized cannabis so I’m guessing it’s a good time to go hunt some seeds there before it all becomes Dutch hybrids.

Your phenos are looking very nice, still long for the harvest but buds are looking great and trichomes are there (mine haven’t even started trichomes).

If it’s mid November harvest I will here watching.

:Rasta:
Thanks @danishoes21. I'm at about 47 N and you are at about 49 N as I understood you. You've got the Pacific Coast to keep you warm and the Gulf Stream & Mediterranean do impact the weather here. We're having a really great "Indian summer" just now, so it's looking like great flowering weather for the next weeks. We'll see... I'd be interested to know how the tropical sativas will flower at your location.

The Durban-Thai HighFlyer x C99 is from Fleur du Mal seeds, based in the U.S. Seems to flower a bit earlier than the ACE strains I've got going, maybe that is something for you. I had a look at the trichomes yesterday with the old 420 digital microscope and they were mostly clear, a bit cloudy. So yes, maybe early to mid-November.

There is a discussion thread with the founder/breeder of FDM, name is Baudelaire, on overgrow Fleur du Mal Seeds in case you are interested. I think I'll start harvesting just a branch or two, and since the DTHF is a new strain for me maybe I'll post a smoke report when she's harvested and cured.

:hookah:

Thanks @danishoes21. I'm at about 47 N and you are at about 49 N as I understood you. You've got the Pacific Coast to keep you warm and the Gulf Stream & Mediterranean do impact the weather here. We're having a really great "Indian summer" just now, so it's looking like great flowering weather for the next weeks. We'll see... I'd be interested to know how the tropical sativas will flower at your location.

The Durban-Thai HighFlyer x C99 is from Fleur du Mal seeds, based in the U.S. Seems to flower a bit earlier than the ACE strains I've got going, maybe that is something for you. I had a look at the trichomes yesterday with the old 420 digital microscope and they were mostly clear, a bit cloudy. So yes, maybe early to mid-November.

There is a discussion thread with the founder/breeder of FDM, name is Baudelaire, on overgrow Fleur du Mal Seeds in case you are interested. I think I'll start harvesting just a branch or two, and since the DTHF is a new strain for me maybe I'll post a smoke report when she's harvested and cured.

:hookah:

I’d love to grow some of that genetics you have going on.

And yeah I am at 49 N so not the best for Sativa dominants. But it’s a matter of finding a “fast” flowering cultivar to mix it in. I don’t want to use a indica to mix in.

I sure would like to check out the thread, this is my first time crossing outdoors so a bit of a challenge. Fingers crossed we will get some high grade Sativa this year.

Looking forward to your dry buds and smoke report.
:peace:

Hey Emeraldo, sorry to be AWOL for so long, your gardening efforts are looking great. The unexpected male is just one of those things and may well create a fortuitous result in one of those pollinated. Amazing the 2 different SLH phenotypes, funny to think you've harvested one already and the other is nowhere near, I wonder how they will compare when cured and tested, I guess very different. There are some lovely sugary buds showing now, looking really nice, you will have a great variety of fantastic new strains to test and enjoy from this grow. Well done! :yummy:

...And yeah I am at 49 N so not the best for Sativa dominants. But it’s a matter of finding a “fast” flowering cultivar to mix it in. I don’t want to use a indica to mix in.

Late-flowering tropical sativas like Ace's Malawi can take some cold weather. At 49N, a greenhouse of some kind would be recommended! Cheers

Hey Emeraldo, sorry to be AWOL for so long, your gardening efforts are looking great. The unexpected male is just one of those things and may well create a fortuitous result in one of those pollinated. Amazing the 2 different SLH phenotypes, funny to think you've harvested one already and the other is nowhere near, I wonder how they will compare when cured and tested, I guess very different. There are some lovely sugary buds showing now, looking really nice, you will have a great variety of fantastic new strains to test and enjoy from this grow. Well done! :yummy:
Thanks Stunger for checking in.

Yes the surprise male Super Malawi Haze dumped gobs of pollen all over my delicious looking Hazey, an NL#5xHaze. I was looking forward to sampling her bud, so that is a downside but am ok with it because there's another NL#5xhaze. But it isn't a bad development at all, am also looking forward to growing out some of the new strain, "NL#5 Malawi Haze", next year.

I'm not sure how the SLH#2 (lemon skunk pheno) is going to turn out after curing, but we'll see. After selective pollination of a few branches, SLH#2 went from fat white stigmas to hair-thin brown tiny stigmas, just disappearing. This was on all branches, all buds (not just those branches I pollinated). In addition, the upper and central branches started drying up and dying. I harvested at that point, leaving a few of the bottom branches that were still thriving and green, particularly if there were seeds forming. The rest is now drying.

The haze pheno SLH (I can see why they called the father it Super Silver Haze now) still has a long ways to go. Will update again soon. Thanks again!

PS @Stunger and @Emilya Green am seeing some browning of the fan leaves suddenly. Am reminded of possible magnesium deficiency, but not sure. What do you think? Is this how your Mulanje looked last year Stunger? :eek:

Super Malawi Haze dumped gobs of pollen all over my delicious looking Hazey,
All is not lost - I am still vaping the "chaff" from some weed seeds that I harvested - I think it works almost as well as straight bud - after all the triches are on the outside!!

Thanks for that @Tokin Roll, you may be right there. There's definitely been a fluctuation in temperature lately, and most of the affected leaves are positioned fairly high in the tent where it gets hottest.

In my own process, I eliminated K-def from consideration because I've been giving all the plants seaweed (0-0-4) concentrate all summer long, at two-week intervals. I think is might even have been too much K, since too much potassium and calcium can lock magnesium out.

So my first reaction was mag def, and I took some action on that front, namely for immediate effect a foliar spray application of Epsom salts in mineral water @ about pH 7.0. (I also added the salts to the top soil and some dolomite lime and cow manure as well, to add magnesium to the soil going forward on the long haul into December).

To me, the photos below (taken 2 hours after application - compare earlier photos from today) show that the damage was slowed, if not stopped. The green parts of the leaves look healthier and more vibrant, more glowing chlorophyll. I don't expect the browned leaftips to recover. But I see other plants are also affected by this negligence on my part. So I will be spraying Epsom salts on whole grow tomorrow and the rest of the week as even the SLH seems to suffer from Mg def.

On a more cheerful note, here some photos of DTHF and NL#5 x Haze from today:

Look for... the Super Silver Haze lining, whenever skies are cloudy and grey...

Today I sprayed foliar epsom again, but now there are yellowed fan leaves hanging limp, making me think I overwatered the plant. So now we have the following theories:
- heat fluctuations?
- potassium deficiency? (possible potassium excess?)
- magnesium deficiency?
- overwatering?

Fortunately, the buds do not seem to be affected, only some fully developed fan leaves.

No more water for a week, just to see if that is the issue.

Back
Top Bottom