Stunger's Organic Balcony: Growing Daughters Of Mulanje: Watering Via Root Aeration Chambers

Sounds like you have it nailed down. Here's DLI, Daily Light Integral for your information.
Thanks Otter! I don't really get any say in my plant's DLI, I just hope it's enough!
I would think that the sun shining down on the deck would heat it up a bit. Any ez fix would be a garden hose and water down at intervals through out the day. Or raise them up.my 2 cts. CL🍀
Cheers CL! I've tended take the view that the heat rising off the deck is a positive stress type of thing. This particular issue I feel comes solely from my mistakenly enthusiastic watering!
I'm pretty sure you'll see a big difference.
Thanks Hombre! I watered yesterday but not the previous day, and not today either. I feel she's looking a little improved.
Cheers Uncle!

I'll slap up some fresh pics after dinner!

Update - pictorial

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Mostly just some photos today.

Mulanje HP

I have started giving water to the Mulanje HP on alternate days, she had no water 2 days ago and none today. She appears no worse and seems to be managing to keep going. It looks like she wants to throw off some of her fan leaves, but at this point that's ok if she is going to focus on her buds.

Last year when I grew the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje, her buds were quite small but they were intensely frosty and a top class high. The Mulanje HP has lots of bud sites and if the plant can keep going then I'd like to think I'll still be able to get a reasonable harvest from her. Earlier on I thought she looked big enough to perhaps produce as much as a pound, altho at the time I had no idea what sort of cola/bud size she would produce. But now, even if she produced half that it would still be a good haul. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her.

This is her in the early afternoon sun.

Mulanje Sherbert

She continues to look good, and is draining her pot every day to where it is as light as anything.

Together

Thanks for swinging by! :ganjamon:

Update - pictorial

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Mostly just some photos today.

Mulanje HP

I have started giving water to the Mulanje HP on alternate days, she had no water 2 days ago and none today. She appears no worse and seems to be managing to keep going. It looks like she wants to throw off some of her fan leaves, but at this point that's ok if she is going to focus on her buds.

Last year when I grew the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje, her buds were quite small but they were intensely frosty and a top class high. The Mulanje HP has lots of bud sites and if the plant can keep going then I'd like to think I'll still be able to get a reasonable harvest from her. Earlier on I thought she looked big enough to perhaps produce as much as a pound, altho at the time I had no idea what sort of cola/bud size she would produce. But now, even if she produced half that it would still be a good haul. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her.

This is her in the early afternoon sun.

Mulanje Sherbert

She continues to look good, and is draining her pot every day to where it is as light as anything.

Together

Thanks for swinging by! :ganjamon:
Looking much better @Stunger n hoping for big harvest my friend. CL🍀 :thumb: :popcorn::goodjob:

...Since the collapse a few weeks ago I have only been watering once a day. And yesterday I didn't water either plant. But going forward I will perhaps just water every 2nd day until something tells otherwise and hope for the best. Unless there is a progressive decline I would like to think she'll get to the finish line ok

I am happy your HP looks like she'll recover, @Stunger.

For my plants, I'd say every day is clearly too often. But even every other day may be too much. After a thorough watering (2 L water into a 30 L pot), I often let my plants go for a 3 or 4 days and even up to a week without more water. It sounds trite, but maybe you are loving them to death... :laughtwo:

Thanks stinker!
Looking much better @Stunger n hoping for big harvest my friend. CL🍀 :thumb: :popcorn::goodjob:
Cheers CL! I don't want to be greedy but I'm hoping my needs will be met for the next 12 months.
Sherbet, sherbet is right! Proper Whizz Fizz haha.

Shes a beautiful outdoor girl, getting prettier by the day. Almost regret canning an outdoors run when I see your beauties Stunger.

Good show mate. Great looking buds.
Thanks Deeve! As usual I am just trying to get to the end without fucking up.
The MS is looking outstanding and progressing very well. Excellent close up shots too.
Fingers crossed less water may allow the HP to get to the finish line :Rasta:
Cheers Zeb. My eyesight is so shot I can only see closeups on the computer now!
I am happy your HP looks like she'll recover, @Stunger.

For my plants, I'd say every day is clearly too often. But even every other day may be too much. After a thorough watering (2 L water into a 30 L pot), I often let my plants go for a 3 or 4 days and even up to a week without more water. It sounds trite, but maybe you are loving them to death... :laughtwo:
Thanks Emeraldo! I think loving them to death is right. I am definitely going back to making them work for their water!

Thanks stinker!

Cheers CL! I don't want to be greedy but I'm hoping my needs will be met for the next 12 months.

Thanks Deeve! As usual I am just trying to get to the end without fucking up.

Cheers Zeb. My eyesight is so shot I can only see closeups on the computer now!

Thanks Emeraldo! I think loving them to death is right. I am definitely going back to making them work for their water!
It’s not being greedy if you only have so long to grow outside. CL🍀

Stung! I need a balcony grow update in my life!

And Happy Easter bro (said in my best kiwi accent)

🐰💛🐰💛🐰💛
Sorry Tra. We are currently having busy family time that is making it too difficult to get discrete 'balcony time', but it should be suitable tomorrow (if the weather behaves). Thanks.
How's the HP looking now?
Cheers Hombre, it's not looking great. It seemed like it wanted to recover but now she's just clinging on. I doubt whether I'll get half a Vegemite jar of pompoms out of it! But hey, I'll let her go and we'll see what happens. The funny thing is, a couple growth stems have come out of the base of the trunk and are showing big fresh healthy leaves and buds on top. But overall the rest of the plant is struggling.

A grower friend who I shared some of the seeds I made last year, has grown out a bunch of them outdoors in the ground and they are looking really great. I will try to get some pics of his, so at least I can show what they should have looked like, and also, just because well grown plants are always a joy to see!

The consolation prize is the Mulanje Sherbert which I have droughted and she is looking great, sticky, smelling potent, and remarkably seems in fine fettle without having received a single pest spraying.
Happy Easter:ganjamon:

What Hombre said!
Thanks stinker! Once the family have departed I'll get an update post down.

Update

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! A mostly pictorial post today. It's been sunny, raining, bright and dark at various times.

The Mulanje Sherbert is going great guns as far as I can see. I found a couple of small pop corn buds that were dying off so I had some them for a tester today. Well, what can I say, it seemed very nice, but first 'testers' usually are.

The Mulanje HP is still hanging in there, she has grown a couple of new stems from her base complete with nice fresh leaves and buds on top, but I am not sure if the rest of the plant will progress from half a jar of pompoms. However, if those pompoms turn out to intensely potent that would be great.

Anyway I will get a pic of her out of the way first! Once the Mulanje Sherbert is harvested in a couple of weeks I'll be left with the Mulanje HP to focus on. It is a bugger what happened, but it has been a valuable lesson and I think I'll still have plenty of bud for the year ahead

Mulanje HP

Mulanje Sherbert

With the weather so changeable today it was tricky taking pics. I tried to put an old black curtain behind the plant to block some of the light and drizzle.

I have ended applying 'droughting' to the plant, it was drinking itself really light each so I started waiting until she'd show leaf drooping then give her a rescue drink and then repeating it. I am not planning on being as extreme as I was last year, but already it feels very potent and sticky. The mother was a very frosty strain (Mango Sherbert), and the father an African Mulanje so the result should be potent.

Cola pics

She has good sized colas which are surprisingly clean. So far I have not sprayed either plant at all this grow. I don't know if it was the funny weather we had this summer or the soil mix. I have seen the occasional mite but not webs or an infestation, I am guessing that now the nights are getting colder that it is unlikely to become an issue, but if it does become an issue then I'll do something, but for now I am hoping the colder nights will take care of them.

Here's a few cola pics taken with flash

And some closer up bud pics

And on this bud a couple mites have parked their arses, hopefully the cooling weather dissuades them!

And this is my favourite pic from today, a frosty little popcorn bud that is turning purple from the cooling nights. I sampled a similar popcorn bud today and it was really good.

Thanks for dropping in! Wishing you and your gardens to be in great health! :ganjamon:

Update

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! A mostly pictorial post today. It's been sunny, raining, bright and dark at various times.

The Mulanje Sherbert is going great guns as far as I can see. I found a couple of small pop corn buds that were dying off so I had some them for a tester today. Well, what can I say, it seemed very nice, but first 'testers' usually are.

The Mulanje HP is still hanging in there, she has grown a couple of new stems from her base complete with nice fresh leaves and buds on top, but I am not sure if the rest of the plant will progress from half a jar of pompoms. However, if those pompoms turn out to intensely potent that would be great.

Anyway I will get a pic of her out of the way first! Once the Mulanje Sherbert is harvested in a couple of weeks I'll be left with the Mulanje HP to focus on. It is a bugger what happened, but it has been a valuable lesson and I think I'll still have plenty of bud for the year ahead

Mulanje HP

Mulanje Sherbert

With the weather so changeable today it was tricky taking pics. I tried to put an old black curtain behind the plant to block some of the light and drizzle.

I have ended applying 'droughting' to the plant, it was drinking itself really light each so I started waiting until she'd show leaf drooping then give her a rescue drink and then repeating it. I am not planning on being as extreme as I was last year, but already it feels very potent and sticky. The mother was a very frosty strain (Mango Sherbert), and the father an African Mulanje so the result should be potent.

Cola pics

She has good sized colas which are surprisingly clean. So far I have not sprayed either plant at all this grow. I don't know if it was the funny weather we had this summer or the soil mix. I have seen the occasional mite but not webs or an infestation, I am guessing that now the nights are getting colder that it is unlikely to become an issue, but if it does become an issue then I'll do something, but for now I am hoping the colder nights will take care of them.

Here's a few cola pics taken with flash

And some closer up bud pics

And on this bud a couple mites have parked their arses, hopefully the cooling weather dissuades them!

And this is my favourite pic from today, a frosty little popcorn bud that is turning purple from the cooling nights. I sampled a similar popcorn bud today and it was really good.

Thanks for dropping in! Wishing you and your gardens to be in great health! :ganjamon:
She's a ravishing beauty Stunger!

Those are some stunning closeups @Stunger! Your Mulanje Sherbet is looking wonderful. And your HP is doing much better than I imagined, there could be a nice jar of excellent bud there. I don't want to nag, but if she was mine I'd be looking into w.t.f. is wrong, two consecutive years, and could it be the soil has gotten too acidic and the result is lockout?

She's a ravishing beauty Stunger!
Thanks Otter
Those are some stunning closeups @Stunger! Your Mulanje Sherbet is looking wonderful. And your HP is doing much better than I imagined, there could be a nice jar of excellent bud there. I don't want to nag, but if she was mine I'd be looking into w.t.f. is wrong, two consecutive years, and could it be the soil has gotten too acidic and the result is lockout?
Cheers Emeraldo! I am convinced the demise was due to my excess watering! I suspected that was what caused last year's demise at the time when top dressing was the majority opinion. I feel on hot days the heat coming of the balcony and the very large horizontal canopies would get heat stress to them and the leaves would droop, in those times I would water 3 times a day (whenever the drooping started) and then again later when the drooping reoccurred, but I should have paid attention to the reaction of the leaves and stopped when they didn't look happy. A follow on effect would no doubt be root stress/damage but to me it began with excess watering. Next I will probably go full SIP but if I don't I'll only water once a day at the most after this.

Back
Top Bottom