Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

Worth the wait.

In fact Im glad you linked the cobs, up until your journal I had zero idea that they were even a thing. Live and learn hey.

Really appreciate the time you spent to put it all down.

Got a real kick out of you describing the highs, a fair chunk that even bother to commit to print on such details are either vague, or intangible.

Great demonstration of how a smoke report can be both interesting and informative.

When the effort is put in, when people apply themselves, it makes the content so much better.

Anyhow, I think its the sort of thing we can all aspire to. Thanks for setting a high bar.

That's a thorough smoke report and feedback, Stunger. 20 weeks is a long flower but these landraces call for that.
I feel this strain adapted really well to my location and environment - a keeper!
:goodjob:
Another exciting thing about this strain, was it's resilience and indifference to pests.
:thumb:
Chewing it is a little bit like chewing plasticine, but the high it gave worked very well and lasted for several hours. It is really quite amazing that the bud hasn't been decarbed as such and yet after fermenting/curing it delivers a high as if it has.
Cob is so exotic to me. It's very interesting that the fermenting cure somehow prepares the cannabinoids for medicinal and recreational use without the decarb. I wonder what long term chewing would do to the health of teeth and gums? I got very excited when I saw that finger of cob in the photo!
Congrats on the super sativa highs :)

Well written, and very interesting, Stunger!
Thank you for the update, and it's great to see you!
Thanks Carcass! It was beginning to feel overdue, but hey, you can't rush a cure can you.
⬆️⬆️⬆️

What he said!
Thanks Tra!
Worth the wait.

In fact Im glad you linked the cobs, up until your journal I had zero idea that they were even a thing. Live and learn hey.

Really appreciate the time you spent to put it all down.
Cheers DV8! I too only by chance came across cobs and cob making from @tangwena's postings a few years ago. I just try to pass on the little I know as I feel others would like this too.
Cob is so exotic to me. It's very interesting that the fermenting cure somehow prepares the cannabinoids for medicinal and recreational use without the decarb. I wonder what long term chewing would do to the health of teeth and gums? I got very excited when I saw that finger of cob in the photo!
Congrats on the super sativa highs :)
Thanks Carmen! It is certainly an exotic form of cannabis.

Regarding teeth and gums I really don't know. But my understanding is that smoke is considered to be not so great in that department, so I assume vaping also may potentially be similar in a diluted sort of way. However, by only chewing/swallowing a small sliver of cob, who knows, but it may even be a healthy thing as some herbs can be great for the health of the teeth and mouth. Only a week ago I happened upon mention of some indigenous person in their 80's somewhere, who attributed having all their teeth to some herb/s he regularly chewed, I forget what it was.
But also, one note of interest there, I have some dental implants and last week I went for my first yearly check and hygiene visit. I was a little bit worried how my vaping would affect them as they warn to avoid smoking. I had previously been telling myself that I should hold off the vaping in the weeks beforehand in case it showed in my mouth. But I have been too dedicated in my testing and I pretty much went in for my checkup having had 7 or 8 vapcaps a daily for a solid few months. So I was encouraged when I was told by the hygenist and oral surgeon, that everything looked healthy and great and that I should keep doing what I was doing! So that was great. But recently, I am enjoying the easy consumption of a sliver of cob and the multi hour high it brings so now my vapcap use has dropped a lot.
Thanks for sharing that, @Stunger ! Very interesting. :thumb:
Cheer Azi!
Great report!! After droughting MS.....would you drought again in the future.?
Thanks Tim! With regard to droughting, as I have mentioned before, my very first droughting experience many years ago was unintended and gave an outstanding sticky potent result that I still covert. The droughting of the Mango Sherbert this past grow was intentional and I feel that I really pushed the limits because I wanted to 'see' what that benchmark created. I am most definitely of the mindset that providing some droughting hardship to a flowering plant can really improve the result and I would prefer in future to allow the plants to have at least some experience of droughting stress even just to allow them to wilt on hot days. So from the experience of this last grow I think I am happy with the more extreme droughting benchmark that I reached as a reference point, and next time I would instead try for something more in the middle, but it is a bit tricky planning droughting when growing outdoors under nature's weather schedule!
Nice work on the cobs brother I look forward to hearing your comparison effects to the sativa cobs you make in the future.
I second all above you made a very interesting thorough report top notch work.
Thanks Tang! I think sativa cobs will take the experience up a notch for sure.

So I was encouraged when I was told by the hygenist and oral surgeon, that everything looked healthy and great and that I should keep doing what I was doing!
That's almost like a prescription! Like medical advice to keep doing it.

I think you should follow your doctor's orders. :laughtwo:

Cheers Otter!
That's almost like a prescription! Like medical advice to keep doing it.

I think you should follow your doctor's orders. :laughtwo:
Cheers Azi, I intend to follow them to the letter, not gonna be a rebel about it!
Thumbs up. I like that year buds . But that going smoke gooood
Thanks Dust, I got some nice especially ones this time.
Your end-of-grow write-ups are the cat's meow! :nicethread:
Thanks Shed!
Cheers Joe!

Breaking the post drought - the Smoke Report

Greetings 420 Enthusiasts! Today I want to make a post beginning with a smoke report to sum up the 3 strains that I grew this past season, and ending with some comment on the testing of one of the cobs I made last year which is now into it's second year of curing and I felt worth cutting open and having a bit of a 'tester' to see how she's going, the other cobs I have left sealed.

This last grow ended with 3 strains from the original 4 girls that I started with due to the unfortunately demise of the Mulanje. This post is about the Mango Sherbert that was heavily droughted, and 2 Sativa in the form of a Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras, and a Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje.

The overall quality :thumb::thumb::thumb:
On recent past grows I have been fortunate enough to grow more than I need, so I am very keen to grow quality over quantity, as it gives a better high and lasts longer. At this point I feel very pleased with the quality of this harvest. I would rate the jarred bud of all 3 plants as being top shelf.

Sativa
This is the first time I have grown pure Sativa, altho I would have certainly smoked Sativa in my younger days and over the years, but back then it was never mentioned by strain name, just weed or dak or similar, so I never had an appreciation of weed in terms of species (Indica/Sativa). However, having now grown out 2 Sativa with up to 20 weeks of flowering this past season, I can appreciate how the resulting highs last longer to what I am used to, and that's something I won't complain about.

Energetic or 'In da couch'? :surf::yahoo::goof:
I am not sure if I have ever had an 'in da couch' experience with any strain. Sure, I've had plenty of in the couch times simply because the party happened to be around a couch at the time. But so far in life, I have found all good weed that I've tried, has been enhancing for activities, and all 3 of these strains in my experience work very nicely with actively doing things.

Declaration of usage
Before growing my own weed, I always had 'dry' periods when no weed was about, and once the drought had broken then the experience of the high/stone was often really good (i.e. if you managed to score a bag of good 'shit', otherwise a total disappointment). However, nowadays I indulge daily and all year round, usually by having several vap caps over the day. And every evening about an hour or two before sleeping I chomp into some decarbed bud, and with a bit of magnesium I sleep soundly the whole night through. I am saying all this because in my experience the main thing I want, is for the bud quality to be able to 'do the job', and the buds of these plants do. I think if someone only smokes once in a blue moon then any good bud is probably going to be a treat. These 3 strains have produced top class bud, I think some infrequent smokers might find them a bit too much.

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje - Sativa

I'll cut to the chase here. This one is my favourite. All 3 do a great job, but I like the high of this strain. It is powerful, embracing, and lasts for hours, it is like there is a nice euphoria generator just purring over inside you circulating pleasantness all the way to your finger tips.

It has a distinct piney slightly limey fragrance, it is a little bit sharp but in a lovely beckoning way much like a lemon tart might be at treat time. Her buds smell very appealing, so much so I want to keep my nose in them. Her colas were long, thin and aerated, but absolutely loaded with sparkling trichomes, I thought her 'glitter' was the most picturesque of the 3 plants. As much as I like big fat colas, the thinner colas of this plant may have helped avoid the budrot tendencies of the other 2, I feel this strain adapted really well to my location and environment - a keeper!

Another exciting thing about this strain, was it's resilience and indifference to pests. Very little troubled it, and it went 20 weeks flowering! As I grow outside with limited direct sunlight and a long way south of Africa, it was amazing that this plant took all the 100+kph winds and rain that blasted the balcony, and yet she was seemingly unperturbed by it all. I am very interested to see how the seeds turn out that I made from her with the Mulanje pollen from the male I grew this year. I intend to try the seeds out this coming grow season, but these seeds will be 75% Mulanje and I have no idea what genetic expression will result. If I find that I prefer the original I grew this year, which is 50% Malawi/Ethiopian and 50% Mulanje then I still have some seeds left of those and I would grow them out the following year.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras - Sativa

This is also very nice, euphoric, a soft lifting high that also lasts a wee bit longer than the hybrid strains I am familiar with. This plant grew big 'baseball bat' colas but unfortunately it was a pest and budrot magnet in all the wild weather that nature threw at the balcony. I finally chopped her at about 18 weeks of flowering, but by that stage I had already lost a lot to rot and pest damage. Viewing this practically, I probably won't grow this strain again in the near term, as for my 'balcony' environment it seems a bit too damage/pest prone for me to do it justice.

Mango Sherbert- Hybrid

I also grew this strain by the Humboldt Seed Company on my grow the previous year. It does have a slightly fruity fragrance but not particularly evident as being 'mango like' as I imagined, it also has a very slight fuel tone to her scent too. HSC rates her THC at 24% - 28%.

She was probably my favourite strain the previous year, with the Godfather OG a close second. She gives a great relaxing euphoric high, which when I compare to this year's sativas the Mango Sherbert has a bit more 'body stone' to her that perhaps adds a slight 'muddiness' to the effect compared to the sativas, and I feel the sativas high lasts a little longer. As a strain she is certainly a looker, buds laden with sticky trichomes.

The Mango Sherbert I grew this year as I have already previously noted in my journal was heavily droughted. I applied repeated cycles of 'droughting' over a 25 day period which in my opinion resulted in additional trichome production and must have resulted in some changes (hopefully benefits). I am not under any pain as such so I have been unable to determine what pain benefit there is from it. A couple of years ago I developed Shingles which was very unpleasant and for what it is worth I didn't find relief from any of the cannabis strains I had at the time.

However, the 'strength' of the Mango Sherbert is such that it too deserves to be on the top shelf.

Reviewing a Mango Sherbert cob after a year of curing

After last year's grow I used a bunch of these buds, squashing and fermenting into Mango Sherbert cobs.

Mango Sherbert Cob after curing for over a year

Last year using just over half my harvest, I made 12oz of buds into cobs. For those unfamiliar with the practice of making cobs, I'd recommend checking out this 420 thread based on Tangwena's style of cob making.
it has discussion and inputs from many others. A big shout out and thanks to @tangwena, for sharing his experience and knowledge gained from years of living in Africa and experiencing the qualities of real well made cobs.

A few days ago I cut open one of last year's vac-sealed Mango Sherbert cobs to test it out. It has it's own funky cob smell that hints of it's promise. I had previously smoked cob, as well as vaping it, but to be honest it is a little bit challenging to do so that way because of it's sticky 'clumpy' nature, altho I imagine it would be great added to a joint for a turbo effect! This time I simply cut off a fine slice and chewed it. Somewhere around 0.1g - 0.2g. After over a year of curing the cob, it is even more aged looking in a good way. Chewing it is a little bit like chewing plasticine, but the high it gave worked very well and lasted for several hours. It is really quite amazing that the bud hasn't been decarbed as such and yet after fermenting/curing it delivers a high as if it has. Tangwena has mentioned how he prefers chewing cobs rather than smoking or vaping to avoid the unwanted impact on the lungs. When you're young with young lungs, you can of course go hell for leather with smoking, but I'm feel for me that I am better off now with either vaping or edibles so I am really encouraged by quality of the high from this cob testing, and too, the increased length of time of the high that the consumption of it brings.

Next grow I will look to grow out some of the (Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje) x Mulanje seeds and hopefully all going well I will make some cobs of it which should be exceptional. For anyone interested, I did an overview of cob making in my last journal here. And here is a link to a pictorial of my cob making in my previous journal last year.

Thanks for dropping by, wishing you all well and I hope your gardens are blooming.
:ganjamon:
Excellent and informative reporting Stunger! Congrats on persisting in your battle with the elements.

BTW, what did the cob taste like? I know it doesn't look "tasty," at least not in the way a glazed donut does! :)

Excellent and informative reporting Stunger! Congrats on persisting in your battle with the elements.

BTW, what did the cob taste like? I know it doesn't look "tasty," at least not in the way a glazed donut does! :)
Thanks GDB! I find it rather tricky to describe the taste, tit's kind of 'funky', possibly a hint of slight sweetness, perhaps a slightly peppery/'heating' aftertaste, sorry, that's a poor description. And with chewing, I am not sure if it matters whether I chew it absentmindedly like a piece of chewing gum until it's eventually gone, or just a quick chew before swallowing down with some water. So far, the resulting effects seem to work very well regardless.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the small piece of cob shown in the pics weighed 22.5g or about 3/4 of an ounce. It was originally about 2oz and was my original 'tester cob' but now after over a year of curing, it was time to test it again. They don't look much, but that represents 3/4oz of sticky buds compressed, sweated, fermented and cured into that little bit of cob.

But surprisingly, there is a remarkable similarity to glazed donuts when you have too much, where your eyes end up looking like glazed donuts. :laugh:

After the last grow and before the next - update

Greetings 420 Enthusiasts! Just a post to come in and say hello again.

Reflections on the buds of the last grow

I not long ago wrote a smoke report where at the time my 'go to' bud was the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje. However, more recently I have been mostly choosing the Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras, it gives a very nice lasting soft euphoria. No doubt soon I'll move on to the next main choice! The droughted Mango Sherbert is also appreciated. All 3 make a great selection of choose from.

I have been using the Mango Sherbert cob made from the previous year. I'm really quite keen on cobs now.

Off season activities

The biggest thing I have embarked on this 'off season' is making up a run space for some chickens, 5 of them to come soon. Woohoo! It could be a folly, but hey we should all be allowed to make at least 1 folly, haha. So hopefully organic home laid eggs are on the way, yum, and some good fertiliser once composted for the garden.

I have also made up another raised garden for vegetables which I will plant mostly from seed this year as I made some 'bird protection' cages from the hardware cloth I got for the chickens, these sit on the soil and protect all the worms underneath and protect the developing seedlings (vegetables). The grape vine I planted last year is developing it's structure nicely.

Looking ahead

The pots are ready, soil amended, and I will start germinating some seeds in the coming weeks.
Thanks for dropping in, I hope your gardens are going great! :ganjamon:

That's going to be one busy balcony this summer!
The chickens won't be on the balcony, haha. Remember, there was a no bird rule established a couple of seasons ago when I caught a pigeon trying to alight on one of my cannabis canopies.
You realize we're all waiting with bated breath for the seed drop, yes?
Yes we are
Thanks Guys! After the last grow I thought I would regrow the most pest resistant strain I grew last time, which was the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje. But now instead, I am looking at doing 2 each of the seeds I made last grow, as I'd like to see what they produce, and also because they were home produced they could be a little bit 'localised', maybe. They're all regulars of course, so I'll be hoping for a female of each. But this is what I am thinking of kicking off in the coming weeks;
2 Mulanje x (Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje)
2 Mulanje x (Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras)
2 Mulanje x Mango Sherbert

The pots are ready
Six of them ...because last year just wasn't crowded enough... 🤪
j/k Stunger! Good luck on this year's grow!

Back
Top Bottom