Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

My next grow, I will mainly look to: -
  • try growing out some seeds from my last grow
  • make Cobs
  • introduce a change to how I water
  • plus, slip in a little droughting where possible ;)
Looking forward to the grow, Stunger!

A correction to the naming of one the strains of my last grow
The Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras I grew was not correctly named, I wrongly transcribed the name and throughout my thread I never realised my mistake. So my apologies for that, but henceforth I will refer to it by its correct strain name, which is, and should have been Purple Honduras x Panama!
Because when written out it's supposed to be female x male?

This is a superior post. Congratulations. Man you have some cool stuff going on. The cob info is especially useful, thanks for the links. What a post and harvest. This is how it’s done. :thumb::woohoo:
Thanks Jon! It's good to be into it again.
Happy Birthday, birthday, birthday, birthday, birthday. :rofl: :woohoo:
Great post Amigo. :thumb:
Hope your enjoying your weekend. :passitleft:
Cheers Bill!
Great smoke report to end off another excellent journal. Looking forward to the next grow (rubs hands).
Thanks Carmen, I'm looking forward to checking out your grows too!
Looking forward to the grow, Stunger!
Thanks Azi
Because when written out it's supposed to be female x male?
No, I have 2 different but similar strains and just wrote the wrong name down, probably after a toot, duh.
Hey Stunger, nice to see you're back at it! I hope you have a great season!
Thanks Otter! Looking forward to it.
Tagabrother when you get your new journal running. Nice to have you back at it
Cheers Lerugged, I look forward also to viewing the wonderful plants you grow each year!
Glad you're getting started just as I'm winding down for the winter!
It's nice to watch an outdoor grow in our off season.
Thanks Mel!
@Stunger 's back in town! Hallelujah! :yahoo:
Cheers Emeraldo!
Congrats on the bebes and another great wrap-up post to another great grow!

Drop a link here to the next journal when you start it. :thanks:
Thanks Shed! I'll put a link here when I kick it off.

Here is my recipe for the 1% spray I use (scale up as necessary...I now mix a gallon at time!):
5g citric acid
500ml distilled water
10 pipette drops dish soap

(For the record, 10 pipette drops of dish soap works out to a little less than 1ml in 1500ml of water, or .3ml per 500ml. I have since switched to yucca powder which is a little less than ¼ tsp/gallon.)

Mix well and spray, preferably first thing in the morning before the sun will be on the plant. If not, late in the day so it can evaporate before nightfall but not burn in the heat of the day.
Make sure you get the whole plant as PM can hide between the buds and the branch.

That must have been awful. I remember that depressing feeling of cutting away bud after bud of rot and leaving a mostly bare stick with a few flowers left at the top and bottom. It's heartbreaking when you lose that much.
So far so good this year. Azi lead me to your recipe. Good to know, took notes, just in case.
Thanks, Shed!

Hi Stunger,
Tag this old hippy when you get yer next run going. I hope you have a great summer.

Update: new grow journal will be up shortly

Greetings 420 enthusiasts!
Just a quick post to say I am about to start a new grow journal. Once I create it I will probably make 3 initial posts to it, I will then pop back and drop a link here, and tag a few who may be interested. Cheers! :ganjamon:

Update: New Grow Journal started, link here

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! As above, is a link to my new grow journal, just started now. I'll soon ask for this journal to be moved to Completed. Thanks very much in joining me for this past grow. It's always a learning experience, thankfully.
All the best! :ganjamon:

Woohoo. Been a long wait mate, but Im excited! Cannot wait to see the Stunger grow show again.
Hi Deeve, it does seem a long time too but good to kick off again, the vegetative 'screen' we had on the neighbour's side has been rather openly and starkly cut down which previously gave a certain amount of a 'hazy screen factor' when it came to cannabis protection between them and us, but unfortunately on this, one just has to take the knocks. I am hoping I can quickly spot and remove the males, and then train the remaining females quite ruthlessly to keep their heights low. Hopefully the 2 Sativa will allow that. :lot-o-toke:

... I am hoping I can quickly spot and remove the males, and then train the remaining females quite ruthlessly to keep their heights low. Hopefully the 2 Sativa will allow that. :lot-o-toke:
That can take longer than expected with sativas. Late flowering tropical sativas in my limited experience can be relatively late to pre-flower compared with other strains. This year there was one plant I thought was a Purple Haze x Malawi female, it had gotten quite tall before I could see it was a male, and that was in early September. The Malawi was also late to show sex, but I got the male out of the grow as soon as I spotted that in August and brought in a female Malawi from elsewhere. With the Super Malawi Haze I lucked out and got a female first time.

I am not yet very experienced in growing these late flowering tropical sativas. Naively, I was expecting pre flowering to occur as it does with hybrids, e.g. polyhybrids crossed with indica to shorten their flowering time. With those (for example DTHF x C99 and NL#5 x Haze) I could identify the signs of sex by the end of June.

I guess it's a problem if you will want to move the plants to a final destination after sexing. In that case, the plants could be large when it's time to move. I suppose you could try to put the plants into flowering artificially by giving them 12+ hours of darkness while they're still small enough to be moved easily, then just ID their sex and let them go back into veg.

Late flowering tropical sativas can also be relatively late to pre-flower. I wasn't certain about the males until mid-September. With some other strains, polyhybrids in particular, I was able to identify the signs of sex by the end of June.
What I am growing this year came from the 'mothers' I grew last year. Of those, I was expecting to be able to gender identify them sometime in January but instead I was able to tell by mid December, so I am assuming it could be the same this grow, and also, these plants began a couple of weeks earlier than last year's. So I am hoping/expecting to cull out the males in December and that will open the space up for the 'ladies' depending on the ratio. :ganjamon:

Update - Reflecting further on the effects of droughting

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! I will soon ask for this journal to be moved to completed. But first I wanted to post a brief last mention about the droughted Mango Sherbert from this grow. To recap, for that particular plant I pushed the droughting quite hard to see how it would respond. By the end, after repeating cycles of droughting it wasn't pretty. The resulting appearance of the herb looked very dry or even overly dried, at least on the outside. However, when ground up in the grinder, the droughted bud causes the most resin smearing on the grinder's teeth of all the plants I grew.

But what I wanted to mention in this post, is that it has been my habit to decarb herb mainly for use prior to sleeping. I have used up my jars of WG, WW, Godfather OG and the previous year's undroughted Mango Sherbert, all herb that I was using for decarbing. So with those finished I have now started decarbing some of the droughted Mango Sherbert from this grow. I want to say that I feel this droughted bud takes it to the next level. I would encourage those who are requiring their herb for pain purposes to consider droughting as when I use this to assist with sleep it seems to pretty well knock me out. Anyway, just saying, for me it's a thumbs up for droughting.

A pic of a droughted Mango Sherbert bud after 6 months jarred (like I said, it doesn't look pretty)

And a pic sliced in half

The sativas are still my favourite from this grow for day time vape use, which when using a Dynavap derivative for vaping makes it very economical. Of my jarred sativa herb, so far I have not decarbed any simply because I want to make it last.
All the best and keep well. :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom