Bruce Banner Marries A Watermelon - SIP Grow

Day 47 and day 9 of flower:

Ok so here is todays update.

Media PH: i calibrated my new soil ph meter and tested all three plants and here is what they came in at:

WG 6.4
Watermelon 6.1
Banner 6.2

Not sure what to make of that….

Lighting:

I raised my lights, knocked them down to 75% to give me the following:

PPFD average: 751
DLI: 32.44

I also went in and cleaned them up a bit and tried to get ride of anything that had dead spots or ends. I also decided to remove those lower yellow leaves so I can see if it travels up or not.

Their feed schedule gives recommended amounts at each stage of growth. When were you feeding 4g/gallon ?
Did you work your way up to 4g/gallon ?
I can’t find when I made the change. I have already started a spreadsheet to track all measurements with weekly goals so I can slowly get to where I need to be and adjust by what the plants look like. I will use this for my next grow.
I would also take the lower yellow leaves, they have done their job. I like to monitor the next fully green level up...
Yea I did that :)

Media PH: i calibrated my new soil ph meter and tested all three plants and here is what they came in at:

WG 6.4
Watermelon 6.1
Banner 6.2

Not sure what to make of that….
Assuming those numbers are correct, the WG and Banner are too high and the Watermelon is close (according to my source at ProMix). You could also confirm with a slurry test.

You might want to consider scratching in some garden sulfur into the top half inch and watering it in if getting the medium back into range is something you want to do.
so I can slowly get to where I need to be and adjust by what the plants look like. I will use this for my next grow.
Good idea! Also, the way to adjust MC is .25g at a time when you need to bump it.

Assuming those numbers are correct, the WG and Banner are too high and the Watermelon is close (according to my source at ProMix). You could also confirm with a slurry test.
Slurry test? 1 part promix from the bucket to 2 parts distilled water and test? Read something about a magnetic stirrer as well…
You might want to consider scratching in some garden sulfur into the top half inch and watering it in if getting the medium back into range is something you want to do.
Well I would like it to be correct. I might stop by store tomorrow and pick some up. I might have questions about that :)
Good idea! Also, the way to adjust MC is .25g at a time when you need to bump it.
Good to know. And luckily that’s what I had put in there as my step ups.

Slurry test? 1 part promix from the bucket to 2 parts distilled water and test? Read something about a magnetic stirrer as well…
Yes! Dig down along the edges of the pot as well as the top. Get a sampling.

I find it takes a bit more distilled water to get to a slurry, and stirring every 15 minutes for an hour is fine. A magnetic stirrer is great if you want to turn rosin into capsules though. @West Hippie uses one for his!

Don't forget to calibrate the pH meter first, and aim for "room temperature" water if you do it.

Day 47 and day 9 of flower:

Ok so here is todays update.

WG 6.4
Watermelon 6.1
Banner 6.2
The top shots do look a little light but the side shot is right on !

I think the lighting shows it worse than it is...

Leaves are praying and just a touch of leaf tip burn, back on track 👍
Lighting:

I raised my lights, knocked them down to 75% to give me the following:

PPFD average: 751
DLI: 32.44
Can't help with that, I start my MH @ 36" and 50% and let the plants reach 24" from the light before increasing the power. So far I've been able to maintain a 24" distance now at 100% and 83 F.
I also went in and cleaned them up a bit and tried to get ride of anything that had dead spots or ends. I also decided to remove those lower yellow leaves so I can see if it travels up or not.

Good call ;)

Now you can see at a glance if any issue is remaining and/or developing...
I can’t find when I made the change. I have already started a spreadsheet to track all measurements with weekly goals so I can slowly get to where I need to be and adjust by what the plants look like. I will use this for my next grow.
I also find it helpful to track the heights !

I start this after I'm done training, good to know what to expect after flipping to flower for next time.

An inch or two a day is Good ! My younger untrained Black African Magic grew 3 inches in the last 24 hours :love:

Cheers

Also, found this:

But you're not as high as 7.0, so less than that!
That works for ProMix HP ?

My well water would be considered nasty by many but I have grown sativa's for six months without any issues...

And Only measured how much MC I'm giving ;)

Cheers

The top shots do look a little light but the side shot is right on !

I think the lighting shows it worse than it is...

Leaves are praying and just a touch of leaf tip burn, back on track 👍
Yeah I was thinking that they most certainly look lighter from the top than from the sides and that the lights probably help with that. But then again, anyone else taking pics with their lights on in their tents will suffer the same issue unless they edit to correct it afterwards.
Can't help with that, I start my MH @ 36" and 50% and let the plants reach 24" from the light before increasing the power. So far I've been able to maintain a 24" distance now at 100% and 83 F.
At first I was following Viparspectra’s recommendations for height and light power settings. I have since changed to a combination. For the stage I’m in they recommend 13.5” from canopy at 100%. But that’s also for only 1 light and I’m running 2 of them. Hmmmm, maybe I should see where 13.5” and 50% puts me as far as PPFD and DLI are concerned.
Good call ;)

Now you can see at a glance if any issue is remaining and/or developing...
Thanks for the suggestion on that :)
I also find it helpful to track the heights !
This is a good thought and I am going to add it into the sheet.
Good info thanks!!

The manufacturer of ProMix considers their product to be pH buffered for shorter grows, but over time nitrate fertilizers (like MC) will cause the pH of the ProMix to rise (details in the first post here)
So I just read this and through some of the followings post, most of which is over my head, but I think I’m able to get the general idea.

Basically the media should be at 6.0ph. Adjusting ph of my nutes isn’t doing squat for my plants but the ttl alkalinity of my water will over time raise the ph of my soil.

The latest water info I was able to find on my local water was the the total alkalinity on average is 60ppm. Not sure if that’s high or low or what?

I have a master test kit for my aquarium but it will just give me a color reading that gives me a range.

[pause to feed my fish]

Jeez they were hungry!!

So now on to read your other link on adjusting the media after I knock a couple of things off of the honey do list :)

All yes, but the pH of ProMix a week after you start watering it should settle around 5.6-5.8. As it climbs higher you will start to see micronutrient deficiencies, and adding MC to compensate can send you into unwanted toxicities.
I wonder if this is what I’ve ended up doing. Though I would expect the buffering of the ProMix to last longer than 3-4 weeks?? I think that is around when I started seeing issues pop up.

All yes, but the pH of ProMix a week after you start watering it should settle around 5.6-5.8. As it climbs higher you will start to see micronutrient deficiencies, and adding MC to compensate can send you into unwanted toxicities.
I don't understand how the Promix scientist could possibly say that pH would be climbing without knowing the input of the plant food?

ProMix is not heavily amended leaving me with a lot of questions on to why they mean pH would be climbing instead of lowering in a peat based medium that's naturally very acidic?

Also, found this:

According to this link, if I am understanding correctly, he is talking about per point in reduction.

Gradual reduction in soil pH is preferred as dramatic reduction can result in stress. If growing in containers, add one Tbsp for each 4-inch of pot diameter.”

So if my math is right, it probably is not hahahaha, and if I read this right, probably did not hahaha, I would add in just under 3 Tbsp for a 5g bucket? Or is that just for 4” deep of the diameter of my buckets?

Bucket diameter is 11.9”
Height is 13.38 inches.

So 9 Tbsp and that should be on the shy side?

I wonder if this is what I’ve ended up doing. Though I would expect the buffering of the ProMix to last longer than 3-4 weeks?? I think that is around when I started seeing issues pop up.
It seems to early to me as well, but without the slurry test right out of the bag to compare to one you do know it's hard to know whether it started high. Have you run the test yet?
I don't understand how the Promix scientist could possibly say that pH would be climbing without knowing the input of the plant food?
The discussion was about hight nitrate fertilizer like MC, so he obviously did know, as I mentioned.
According to this link, if I am understanding correctly, he is talking about per point in reduction.

Gradual reduction in soil pH is preferred as dramatic reduction can result in stress. If growing in containers, add one Tbsp for each 4-inch of pot diameter.”

So if my math is right, it probably is not hahahaha, and if I read this right, probably did not hahaha, I would add in just under 3 Tbsp for a 5g bucket? Or is that just for 4” deep of the diameter of my buckets?

Bucket diameter is 11.9”
Height is 13.38 inches.

So 9 Tbsp and that should be on the shy side?
Like Chuck mentioned, those numbers are for soil around 7 pH. I would go much easier on it.
From the ProMix site >

Cheers
He's trying to lower his pH rather than raise it. Lime would definitely be the way to raise it.

Back
Top Bottom