Coco Loco Is An Amended Coco Coir Soil

100% coco guy here... 🤙
I'll hang around & watch the show if you don't mind. I'm an open book; always feel free to reach out if you'd like. I sure don't know it all but have a few years experience on the topic. LoL

Can't wait to see the grow show homie. :passitleft:

I'm not sure if I should add perlite to the Coco or not. Most people say that perlite is helpful. I'm getting conflicting information about the draining property of Coco coir.
Coco - you can't water too much as it will only hold 60% water and the rest is air, but you can water too often which keeps the roots wet so they can't access the Oxygen - so perlite can be a help there if you like to water often
You soon find the sweet spot, coco is easy
Just 1ml/L CaMg & 2-4ml/L A&B, PK week 3 or 5 in flower, pH 5.6 - 6.2 and that's it

Do you guys agree with this graph?

1000003089.jpg

1000003089.jpg
I don't measure any of those numbers; it's 2-4ml/L with no problems
I don't chuck in loads of additives either, so it's simple

*edit - dilute that chart per litre, it's mostly around 2-4 ml/L
If you give PK much beyond week 5, you will likely get foxtail that never ripens
Zyme is not at all necessary, neither is Boost or Rhizo

I woke up today and all the seeds were ambitious enough to fall to the bottom of the water. Exciting day! I got culligan coming in to install a RO system. I got the app hooked up with grow hub and I've figured out most of everything as far as features. I'm very excited.

1000003089.jpg
The EC all looks #standard for non Co2 grow.

The PPM looks a little low to me - I’m sure you want to be peaking at 1300-1400, again in a no Co2 grow. I don’t really check PPM anymore - last time was about 4 months ago for for fun it was months before that too.

EC and Ph in are all I worry about.

Nick

The seeds have been germinating for 56 hours now. Three of the five have sprouted. Last night there was only two that sprouted. So I'm hopeful at least one of the others will sprout. One of the seeds is really small compared to the others. I don't know if that means anything. I decided that I would plant them in Jiffy Pots to start so that I don't have to worry about disorientation from watering or salt build-up from not watering to drain in the coco. I think I'll give them another day and a half in the paper towel and then plant them and go from there.

I had a little bit of an issue. I watered the paper towel last night, and i thought maybe i got it too wet, so I pulled it out of the bag and the towel dried out over night. I think the paper towel may have been dry for upwards of 6 hours. Ufff. I feel so stupid. So I sprayed and prayed. Put them back in the bag until I planted them about 45 minutes ago. One of the three seeds that sprouted turned a little brown on the tip, but the other two still looked good. The other two seeds still haven't sprouted. I didn't want to hold out on the other three that have, so I have now put them in the jiffy pots. I've got them in the tent with 60% light on them about 36" from the plant. They're in a dome that's cracked a little bit.

1000003113.jpg

If you hang the bags containing the seeds from a clothes peg on a coat hanger the water drains to the bottom through the course of the day. You can just swing the bag to the vertical once or twice a day. Gravity takes the excess water to the bottom so not too wet.

Swinging it up (I’m at heart a nasty person so I’ve been known to just flick the bag up and over with my fingers) gets that excess liquid back in the paper so you don’t let it dry out. It works great for me.

56 hours isn’t very long in your neck of the woods. Up to 5 days it can happen. Here in the tropics with constant high humidity and some magic swimming pool water we’re quite a bit quicker than average at 48 hours to 1” tap roots. Wouldn’t stress yet on the other two.

Nick

It's seems to be amended with Lime which is fine and kind of standard practice. The nutrients won't last long and you need to feed at every watering. After feeding often you will saturate the medium with minerals and pH buffers. What you can do to be safe is re-buffer the medium buy buying the "buffer agent" from Canna to saturated the medium for 24-48 hours before use.

I've used amended coir and non amended and it doesn't take more than couple of runoff readings to dial in nutrient strength. They work the same for their intended use.

1000003120.jpg

Is this okay?

Kind of interesting how the humidity spiked right when the lights came on at 6am.

I also have a temp/humidity meter sitting on top of the light and that reads 75 degrees and 66% humidity.

Where is the best place to place my probe to get the optimal reading for my grow hub? Currently it's sitting in the corner by the door at right about light heighth.

Humidiry builds when the lights are off. Flick them back on and it drops. Plus the plants respiration changes.

I’ve had 2-3 sensors always. Canopy, above canopy, on the drainage trays… everywhere.

You learn what say 66% showing on sensor #1 in Location #1 means #2 will show in Location #2 adjust in your head and sure enough its 72%. Personally I’m
Only worried about getting humidity down in flower. Temperature only worried if the plants look it!

Nick

1000003132.jpg

24 hours later. Day 3 since it broke soil. Day 7 since I put them in water to germinate. Doesn't seem to have grown much? :(

I had better luck with 6 seeds I found in a bag of swag like 10 years ago when I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't finish that grow though. I guess I still have no idea, but all of those seeds sprouted. In a closet with a CFL light.

I'm going to update this comment every hour with for a few hours with my gardens temp and humidity.

I think the PPFD is around 400 from the calculator I used.

Idk. Maybe I'm just being impatient. My tent is pretty consistent 74-77 degrees. About 70% humidity.

1000003135.jpg
1000003137.jpg

Maybe I'm just being impatient.
They’re all different. But that looks totally decently average to me for 3 days.

Read the plant with your eyes. Worth a 1000 sensors.

What can we see?

A seedling just starting to unfurl its first true leaves. Smooth healthy looking helper/battery leaves. Good green colouration all round.

Look a little closer - stem! That looks (very zoomed in) to be plenty stocky and more mature relative to the leaves. And what’s this? Some healthy looking purple lines in the stem too. Anything else?

Well not much with our eyes but we can infer some things from what we see upstairs. That the roots are likely over half way to the bottom of that pot. Its gathering itself to push up after the equally important down. Its literally “putting roots down”

Relax.

What you gping to use for support? We start with toothpicks then go to BBQ skewers or chopsticks. Others these cool steel U Hoops.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom