Help me dry and cure on a low budget

Twenty percent humidity is far too low for drying your harvest. The space where you intend to dry should be at 50% - 60% rh. The box is a better choice than a room you use. A closet is even a better idea, if you have one you can use. Darkness during drying and curing is important, but not critical. Air movement in your drying space is also important. If your humidifier has a fan in it, that may be enough. If not, a low speed fan in the space is highly recommended.

Drying is pretty much done when the small branches at the base of the nugs snap when you bend them. This can take anywhere from four to ten days. Then you jar them.

Without a 62% Boveda pack in the jars, you'll need to burp them regularly. I did this daily, by pouring the nugs out of the jar onto a cookie sheet. I returned them to the jar after they were dry to the touch. It can take half an hour or so. After a about a week, when they came out dry, I'd do it every two to three days, gradually extending the time between burps.

With the Boveda packs, I just inspect the jars daily. If I see moisture on the sides of the jar, or the buds, I would burp them. This has been unnecessary so far (three grows). I use the 67gm Boveda packs in quart, and half gallon jars. The packs that have been in use for three harvests are still good. I just put them all in one jar as I empty them, until the packs are needed again.

Twenty percent humidity is far too low for drying your harvest. The space where you intend to dry should be at 50% - 60% rh. The box is a better choice than a room you use. A closet is even a better idea, if you have one you can use. Darkness during drying and curing is important, but not critical. Air movement in your drying space is also important. If your humidifier has a fan in it, that may be enough. If not, a low speed fan in the space is highly recommended.

Drying is pretty much done when the small branches at the base of the nugs snap when you bend them. This can take anywhere from four to ten days. Then you jar them.

Without a 62% Boveda pack in the jars, you'll need to burp them regularly. I did this daily, by pouring the nugs out of the jar onto a cookie sheet. I returned them to the jar after they were dry to the touch. It can take half an hour or so. After a about a week, when they came out dry, I'd do it every two to three days, gradually extending the time between burps.

With the Boveda packs, I just inspect the jars daily. If I see moisture on the sides of the jar, or the buds, I would burp them. This has been unnecessary so far (three grows). I use the 67gm Boveda packs in quart, and half gallon jars. The packs that have been in use for three harvests are still good. I just put them all in one jar as I empty them, until the packs are needed again.
Exact same process with Bovitas, no issues.
6FAB8FF7-1C9B-4511-A513-552B67C75F75.jpeg

This last grow I chopped the plants into manageable chunks and hung them from the track on my bedroom closet. Once dry, after a couple of weeks, I put it into jars.
Not the best, I'm sure there are plenty of Husky hairs stuck to it, but it works.

My last harvest stayed very bright lime green. I wet trim my branches, then I wash my buds and hang them to dry for a few hours. Once all the extra water has dripped off, I cut the buds off the stem and lay them on racks to go in the fridge. After about 2 weeks in the fridge, the buds will stay at ~70% humidity in a jar. At that point I just burp them once a day until I’m in the ~65% zone, then I just burp them once a week until they’re at 62%. At that point they can be stored for months without opening

I've been drying for 2 days now in my closet with a small fan. The humidity has been 49 to 55 percent. Some of the bigger branches seem to be drying out faster than the smaller ones. Seems kinda backward but any ways. I think I'll keep them up for another day or two. I'm not exactly sure what to do
20191108_102038.jpg

Clip the fan leaves, and hang the branches upside down. They'll be ready for a final trim, and jarring when the small branches at the colas snap, but the larger branches still bend.

Back
Top Bottom