Help: Plants look sick, diagnosis needed

fuzzy911

Hi dear 420 members!

Its my first grow as some of you may know, ill just throw the raw data fast and go on to my problem.
Setup:

I grow mixed Nirvana Fem White Widow, and Master Kush.
3 Plants total, 2 seem to be of the same kind, smaller and bushier, adn the third is long and string but has long a** branches.

I use 2X26W CFLs and a 250W HPS in 18/6, currently about 52 days from seed in total.

Temps are around 75-85, RH is about 50%-70%
The grow space is a grow tent by Secret jardin. 90X90X160
Water with PHed water about 6.2-6.8 i guess, and only started feeding some time ago, about 2 feeding 1/4 and 1/2 strenght so far.

After i waited too much between waterings lasst week i started to see spots on the leaves and increasing amount of red stems on the 2 smaller plants. Mostly fan leaves but its also going higher and i can see a leaf or two at the top with spots too.

I dont beleive i have pest problem, i have 2 glue traps and only cought lke 3 little fly thingies the whole time, i examine the plant very often and always look under the leaves, seems OK.

here are some photos to help your wild imagination:

My smaller girl overview:
20150328_145707_1_.jpg

And some leaves examples:
20150328_145735_1_.jpg
20150328_145744_1_.jpg
20150328_145845_1_.jpg
20150328_145814_1_.jpg

This is an example of red stems i have on the 2 girls, and lately started to show on new growth on Lisa too.
20150328_145724_1_.jpg

This one is my Lisa, the bigger plant, after i topped her i guess it deformed the nearest baby fan leaf so it came out like this, although i saw many deformend leaves like this on my plants and still see young ones coming out a bit lame.
20150328_145752_1_.jpg

After i diagnosed the myself with NPK shortage i fed them 2 days ago, still dont see a change but they do grow, i applied LST on one of the small plants today and will see how she reacts, please help me understand whatis bothering my plants and why does my leaves look so bad, and 1st set of fan leaves yelowed out and i just tuched them and they fell

Re: Help: Plants look sick, diagnosys needed

For the most part, the only thing you want to look at when diagnosing nutrient deficiencies that are happenning right now is to look at the new growth. From what I see, your new growth is bright green and healthy looking.

As a plant matures, the early leaves that were crucial to the survival of the new seedling slow down in their ability to provide energy for the plants. When they are no longer contributing to the health of the plant, the plant will reabsorb any useful nutrients from the cells and then drop the leaf off. This is called senescence. It's normal.

I won't speculate on what those dead patches are on those older fan leaves are caused by, but it doesn't look like anything that is affecting the growth of your plants. But I would suggest that in the future, when you think something is wrong, consider that you might have a nutrient excess instead of a deficiency. I've solved a lot more problems by just watering and holding back the nutrients for a little while than I have solved adding more nutrients when I am not absolutely sure of the cause.

Great advise man thanks!

I guess the more carefull and miniimalistic approach is best when it comes to growing MJ.
First grow teaches hard facts of life i can tell you.

Nutrient Splash when feeding - because it's not on all leaves also the location of the "spots"

Just go to "Marijuana Plant deficiencies" there you will find pictures of + many sites = your answer

Thanks for the advice everyone!

After some extensive reading and observing i diagnosed my ladies with Fungus gnats.
I beleive that its not a seere case as i put around a lot of glue traps on strategic places and cought something like 20 flying parasites.
my next steps are to let the top ground dry good before next watering, put an extra fan for circulation and hold RH lower than 70.

Overall plants look good, specially new growth, dont expect old leaves to revive themselfs but bew ones look pleety healthy, planning on going 12/12 in a week or so, any recomendations and you might have?

You can use Neem oil to get rid of the gnats, but if they don't work, I've heard Gnatrol is great. Diatomaceous earth works too and you can also take a look at Hydrogen peroxide. Use what's best for you and what you're comfy with. Good luck!

Possible magnesium/calcium deficiency. Mine looked similar till I addedCalMag. Note possible

I agree here. I just had the same exact looking problem. I have It a few days to make sure I was right in it was m/c def. Just add cal mag and see if.That works. I use 10gal and put in 4-6ml. Havnt had that problem sence.

You can use Neem oil to get rid of the gnats, but if they don't work, I've heard Gnatrol is great. Diatomaceous earth works too and you can also take a look at Hydrogen peroxide. Use what's best for you and what you're comfy with. Good luck!

Can also use a 50/50 mix of - 50% dish soap and 50% water - spray top and underside of plant

I think one of the most important things to keep in mind here is that your new growth really looks great.
Damage at any time during a plant's growth will NOT recover.... ever. Always look at new growth for signs of deficiencies or problems. If the newer growth is good, that's the best you can do. Leaves will never perk back up after curling or boating. Damage spots from early issues (looks like CalMag spotting to me) will just stretch out a bit and look bigger.

Your newer growth looks great with no spotting. The veins look good. The leaves look good. The color looks good.
Seems like you're on a good path fuzzy..... keep her going.

Back
Top Bottom