Help with Ballast

snuffy smith

After growing up in the 70s my wife and I decided to grow our own. We have done alot of research on 420 before starting and got loads of info. We are having a problem with the ballast, we have a 600w ballast, the first one stopped working after 4 weeks (we lost our first 6 plants due to this), they sent us a replacement has been working for 2 weeks and now its stopped. We are looking to get another ballast, would you get a digital lumatek or would you recommend something else? We are about to lose the 3 new plants we started.

70's Smokers! :roorrip:

I tried googling the ballast I have but they dont seem to sell them anymore its worked for years, but Im sure theres a lot of reviews on lighting systems.

However can I suggest getting some CFL bulbs that screw into regular light sockets to keep your plants alive until you recieve your new ballast.

I've just purchased a Lumitek digital 250w ballast after extensive research. Everything I've read suggests that Quantum and Lumitek are the better ballasts available.

My .02

:goodluck:

Multiple ballast failing after a short period of time. Now it sounds like an electrical problem.

Do you have a good ground where you are plugging in? How is the condition of your electric line? Get a lot of spikes or brown outs? Might want to try putting a line conditioner on the line (surge protector). Get a decent one, not cheap one.

Prairie

Definitely check the house wiring. Voltage drop ruins electron ballasts. I'd also stay away from LED's. I've not seen one flower for me yet. I have had good luck with EFDL fluorescents. A bit more money but since they don't need a ballast, long life, high output lamp, that doesn't create much heat then they pay for themselves in a couple of grows.

hope you can save them

Multiple ballast failing after a short period of time. Now it sounds like an electrical problem.

Do you have a good ground where you are plugging in? How is the condition of your electric line? Get a lot of spikes or brown outs? Might want to try putting a line conditioner on the line (surge protector). Get a decent one, not cheap one.

Prairie

Hi, Snuffy's wife here ;) been doin alot of research on the lumatek and quantum ballast. Not sure which to go with, but my question is whatever ballast I get will it fit the lights that we already have (cord wise?) and to turn the lights off do you guys unplug the ballast from the wall or the lights from the ballast? We have 3 kush seeds that we are going to lose after just losing 6 plants from the ballast.

:thanks:

Snuffy's Old Lady and Survivor of the 70's :)

The Quantum has input for a 120v or 240v all at the switch of a cord. I would say if you have to unplug them, do it from the wall socket, not the ballast itself. If your worrying about losing some plants go pick up a lighting fixture from Home Depot or Lowes, it would atleast make a resuce light.

Thanks, guess what I meant we do 18 hours on 6 hours off...when it becomes the time for 6 hours off do you all unplug your ballast from the wall or the socket of the lights where it connects into the ballast? We got back up lighting now but lost 3 more. We have a new ballast coming. Thanks all for your input!

Snuf's wife

:yummy:

unplug it from the wall, not the ballast. If you unplug just the lights from the ballast, the ballast is still enerigized. So unplug the ballast from the wall, not the lights from the ballast

Back
Top Bottom